PDA

View Full Version : SD33 valve cover

ipatrol26
13th November 2011, 11:21 AM
Hi guys I just though of doing a bit change to my SD33 engine and not only making it look better in appearance but at the same time I can take a look for possible problems and sludge build up.......to cut the story short I just want to take my valve cover off, clean it, paint it and put it back I donīt think thinks this requires special NASA tools other than a ratchet, so I just want to know if the three possible long bolts down the middle are the only bolts that hold it down ?????

Any advises and tips ????

the ferret
13th November 2011, 12:18 PM
Yep, right on the money mate, 3 bolts.
It would pay to have a new gasket at hand, as you may damage the old one, besides, they never seal properly most times.
If it's an sd33, the rocker cover is alloy and pollishes up a treat.

Finly Owner
13th November 2011, 10:44 PM
Anew oil filler cap seal is a handy rplacement along with the grommet seals for the bolts.

Hey Mr Ferret how do you polish the alloy cover please?

Tim

the ferret
13th November 2011, 11:39 PM
I did mine years ago Tim, a soft STAINLESS wire buff, then a non metalic scourer, then aluminium pollishing paste.
A lot of elbow work, but it comes up like chrome.
Any roobar mob would do it for you I'm sure.
Cheers, the ferret.

Finly Owner
16th November 2011, 12:13 AM
I did mine years ago Tim, a soft STAINLESS wire buff, then a non metalic scourer, then aluminium pollishing paste.
A lot of elbow work, but it comes up like chrome.
Any roobar mob would do it for you I'm sure.
Cheers, the ferret.
I can do the work, just needed a heads up of how you acheived it, Thanks Rod.

Tim

the ferret
16th November 2011, 01:00 AM
Hey Tim, if its painted just hit it with some sellys paint stripper but don't scrape it and if you can get hold of some hydrophloric acid (aluminium brightener) dangerous stuff mind you, don't get it on ya skin,
that will clean it up and then use a buff to clean it and then hit it with a good alloy pollishing paste.
It's a bit like brasso and the more you work it, the blacker the paste gets, then let it dry and leather buff the crap out of it.
It should come up like a mirror.
Cheers, the ferret.

Silver
16th November 2011, 06:31 AM
a mate bought some of the acid Ferret mentions above at one of the local auto chains. It was marketed for brightening up alloy boats.

If you read the data sheet on it, and other info on line, you wouldn't go near it without some pretty good safety gear, but the mate got stuck in to his tinny with a green kitchen scourer and no gloves and suffered no obvious side effects :-) Note that I do not recommend being in any way casual with this particular acid as the safety info on it highlights some considerable risks.