PDA

View Full Version : 4wd tracks that lead to locked gates

AB
11th November 2011, 09:53 AM
In my area (Toolangi State Forest) and surrounding areas of Buxton, Kinglake, etc I am constantly finding tracks back to the main roads are gated off.

Rossco and I went for a quick drive last night and we always enter the area from Old Toolangi Road which has dozens of public tracks to enter off there.

Lastnight we went down a track for an hour or so to find the track ends up going nowhere.

Along this track we found it lead to 3 exits back to the main Melba Highway and all 3 exits are gated off with Padlocks.

I understand that maybe local DSE have blocked these gates from people entering off the Main highway but there must be dozens of people like us who enter the tracks from the other side to find yourself stuck.

I find this happens a lot in our journey's and we turn around and drive another hour back on the same tracks to get out again which is not only boring but can be dangerous if you climb down into a valley that you may not be able to get back up if It's wet.

Anyways, what to do....

I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this....Does anyone take action and phone the local departments to notify them of public entrances one side leading to locked gates on the other or???

Maybe MudRunner can throw some light on this???

Bob
11th November 2011, 10:00 AM
In my area (Toolangi State Forest) and surrounding areas of Buxton, Kinglake, etc I am constantly finding tracks back to the main roads are gated off.

Rossco and I went for a quick drive last night and we always enter the area from Old Toolangi Road which has dozens of public tracks to enter off there.

Lastnight we went down a track for an hour or so to find the track ends up going nowhere.

Along this track we found it lead to 3 exits back to the main Melba Highway and all 3 exits are gated off with Padlocks.

I understand that maybe local DSE have blocked these gates from people entering off the Main highway but there must be dozens of people like us who enter the tracks from the other side to find yourself stuck.

I find this happens a lot in our journey's and we turn around and drive another hour back on the same tracks to get out again which is not only boring but can be dangerous if you climb down into a valley that you may not be able to get back up if It's wet.

Anyways, what to do....

I'm sure a lot of you can relate to this....Does anyone take action and phone the local departments to notify them of public entrances one side leading to locked gates on the other or???

Maybe MudRunner can throw some light on this???

There are quite severe penalties for by-passing a DSE Locked Gate. I would contact DSE in you area about this

AB
11th November 2011, 10:02 AM
Totally understand and agree this is wrong to do. Problem being sometimes there is no hope in climbing the hill back up where you came from in that wet condition.

MudRunnerTD
11th November 2011, 10:02 AM
Hey Andy,

Yes mate it can be a real pain in the back side, it should not really happen mid season but at this time of the year it is much more likely.

What is not widely advertised and should have been is that in many areas Seasonal Closures have been extended due to the very heavy rain in most parts. Certainly the Otways are on notice, they should have opened on cup weekend, it was delayed and this weekend was the new opening but that has been put back indefinitely due to the rain fall. If you go down there you will find locked gates everywhere.

I can only imagine that the local DSE and Parks are trying to limit the traffic due to the rain. This is being determined at a local level though and each region will be managing their own patch in this regard.

Hope that helps

AB
11th November 2011, 10:06 AM
Fixed the posts...

Mazodude
11th November 2011, 11:30 AM
Hey MudRunnerTD,
Where can you find the info about which tracks are gated off?
Is there a website?

MudRunnerTD
11th November 2011, 11:56 AM
Hey MudRunnerTD,
Where can you find the info about which tracks are gated off?
Is there a website?

Hey Mazo,

you will really need to contact your local Parks Authority, at this time of year you will only get the right info by making a call to the office as the Web wont hold current advice.

Here though is a copy of the Vic Parks list of seasonal closures and you will find something in your state that is similar i would think

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/fire,-flood-and-other-closures/seasonal-road-closures2

Hope that helps. We have had a Drought Breaking rain in Vic and anyone heading anywhere should be making a call to confirm that the gates aren't still shut wherever your heading.

Hope that helps.

Mazodude
11th November 2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks MudRunnerTD
Found some info for QLD :D
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/park_alerts/index.php

Pete's GU3
13th November 2011, 11:28 AM
You might need to start carrying the master key with you ....large bolt cutters ...just in case.....

flemj
13th November 2011, 02:18 PM
Hi guys,

I was at Mt Disappointment on Saturday and we did phone track and half way down we take of onto another track along a creek. Just about to turn out onto a major track and there is locked gate. Why do they bother have one end of a track open but not the other. Anyway luckily there was enough room to get around beside the gate.

John

YNOT
13th November 2011, 02:25 PM
You might need to start carrying the master key with you ....large bolt cutters ...just in case.....

Hi guys,

I was at Mt Disappointment on Saturday and we did phone track and half way down we take of onto another track along a creek. Just about to turn out onto a major track and there is locked gate. Why do they bother have one end of a track open but not the other. Anyway luckily there was enough room to get around beside the gate.

John

The opinions expressed here are those of individuals, the administration of this forum does not in anyway condone, promote or encourage driving around locked gates or cutting gates without the express permission of the land owner or caretaker.

Admin.

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2011, 03:02 PM

Hi guys,

John

Very poor comments guys.....At least some of you get 2 drive half way down a track before you come across a locked gate, 95% of tracks here are gated from start 2 finish.
And why do tracks get closed down???? , I'm sure there is a very good reason....... the people that ignore gates / signs etc are usually the ones that are first 2 have a whinge about tracks been closed down and having know where 2 drive.

YNOT
13th November 2011, 03:10 PM
Very poor comments guys.....At least some of you get 2 drive half way down a track before you come across a locked gate, 95% of tracks here are gated from start 2 finish.
And why do tracks get closed down???? , I'm sure there is a very good reason....... the people that ignore gates / signs etc are usually the ones that are first 2 have a whinge about tracks been closed down and having know where 2 drive.

There is a strong anti-4WD movement that wants to see us shut down completely and locked out of everywhere, comments like those above can very easily get taken out of context and used against us. We not only have to be careful of what we do and say but how what we do and say is percieved by others.

Tony

Sir Roofy
13th November 2011, 05:00 PM
if you check your maps before you go you can usualy avoid the tracks that
have gates on them if not ring the d.s.e or parks to check,as far as cutting locks or gates ,most gates have cables laid in them
and also the word is a lot of gates now have cameras in the vicinity

flemj
14th November 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Guys,

A phone call was made to Parks Vic prior to going. A list of the closed tracks was added to the map. The locked gate was not on the list of tracks that were closed. Every effort was made to know where the closed tracks were and these tracks were avoided. The questions goes begging, why do you have an open track, then block its exit. It doesnt mean it gets used less, it means you drive down it and then turn around and do it straight away. Twice the traffic.

John

twiggsy
16th November 2011, 07:04 PM
at least you guys in the eastern states have tracks to drive, i live in S.A and would love the ability to be able to drive some of the local firetrails through mount crawford forest. i live in williamstown and am literally only minutes away from some easy drives. im not looking to go hardcore 4wheeling locally. just something nice and relaxing but there is nothing there. everything is locked off.

Bigrig
16th November 2011, 07:06 PM
at least you guys in the eastern states have tracks to drive, i live in S.A and would love the ability to be able to drive some of the local firetrails through mount crawford forest. i live in williamstown and am literally only minutes away from some easy drives. im not looking to go hardcore 4wheeling locally. just something nice and relaxing but there is nothing there. everything is locked off.

Yep, we're pretty lucky in South East Queensland mate as we have a multitude of areas to go, but for how long is based primarily on who's in power, and how many w@nkers go out and do stupid things to spoil it for the rest of us.

taslucas
17th November 2011, 12:24 PM
The only locked gates that exist around here are forestry tas gates or private land owners gates. If you get to a locked gate here it means that the land behind it is private. So its not really the gate that stops you, its the fact that you dont want to go driving on other peoples private land. Other than that though, we can drive for days deep into the wilderness. I feel sorry for you guys out there that cant find a place to play. Come down for a visit! I think the reason its like this is quite simply: the less people driving, the less damage there is. Having said that, there are a few areas that the parks and wildlife service manage closely. These are mainly the coastal areas as these areas are easy to destroy but hard to restore. On the west coast south of Temma the parks and wildlife services have come up with an idea to stop "hoons" messing around in the boggy areas and making them bigger. What they do is put spikes in the bog holes to either side of the existing track. These spikes are under the surface of the mud and scattered around all the deeper ruts and are designed to rip holes in your tyres should you drive off the marked track to do some roosting. The areas that are spiked are well signposted and the idea while being fairly harsh works really well.