hutchy84
10th November 2011, 12:44 PM
Guys im just wondering what everybodys thoughts are in a 3" Lift on a GU

Has anybody heard of flexi coils before and are they any good

Are tough dog, Dobinsons any good at all

And will have i have to change anything else under the car

growler2058
10th November 2011, 01:04 PM
Gday mate, Im using Dobinson coils and shocks in my GQ, and cant fault them, but as with everything thats from mpersonal experience and others will no doubt have different opinions. You will most likely need to add drop boxes for your front end to realign castor angles and possibly rear trailing arms to bring suspension geometry back. When you raise a vehicle you shorten the wheel base. I bought a complete "kit" for my 4" lift which included extended radius arms extended brake lines adjustable panhards steering dampner. Total cost for parts was 3k not fitted, i takled that myself.

hutchy84
10th November 2011, 01:22 PM
Mate where did you get your gear from

Thanks for the info growler

growler2058
10th November 2011, 01:31 PM
BigO4x4 here in Adelaide. He fabricates the radius arms and trailing arms the panhards are 3rds productions. He's on the internet.

hutchy84
10th November 2011, 02:02 PM
Whats everyones take on ironman gear

baboo
13th November 2011, 10:21 AM
I put Ironman 45mm lift on my wife's Prado , 20000km and the bushes on the front struts have chopped out, it only cost $20 for new bushes and I think it will be a pain if I have to change them this often . Apart from this, performance off & on road is excellent and you have to remember that these bushes on the Prado carry the full load of the front end ,Patrol is only shock absorbers, I have had Toughdog on a number of Patrols over Ten- Fifteen years and have never had any problems. Remember it is important whatever brand, the springs need to match the loads ,winches batterys ect and if you are towing I would recomend from personal experiance airbags at the rear for that extra load that way you wont sacrifice your ride and flex when your out having fun.

Chaz
13th November 2011, 10:44 PM
hutchy,

I’m currently using Suspension Stuff 2” HD Flexy coils with 30mm poly spacers and 3” TD adjustable shocks. The combination works very well. My only criticism of the coils is that the fronts were a PITA to fit, but the rears won’t drop out like the old Doby’s did.

You’ll definitely need panards, brake lines and caster correction for 3”.

Skull
15th November 2011, 11:50 PM
Chaz is on the money for sure. Had no drama with my front springs tho. Undid the sways, shocks and lifted the car away from the diff. heaps of room for the longer springs. Do have longer brake lines and be sure to keep an eye on your ABS cables. May need to unclip or remove these. I have 3" Dob Flexi with 4" 45 T/D Adj. Absolutely magic. You will need some caster correction front and rear, panhards, swaybar links and brake lines ( ABS has 2 lines in the front not 1 like NON-ABS). I really reckon you should look at upgrading your lower rear control arm's. I did mine with standard length lower and shortened top. Superior Engineering make non adjustable super strong everything for each inch of lift ( I have stealth panhards and control arms to suit 3" lift). So when the POPO look under your truck nothing is adjustable and all looks as it should when painted black. Do your research and buy the best you can afford. That way when you go bush you know you will get back, nothing worse than getting stuck with a shot control arm for the sake of $200. Good luck bud

aaron
16th November 2011, 03:48 AM
im not a fan of iron man shocks !! there springs are good tho ---- id look at geting tough dog if u can afford a lil extra $$ they will take alot more punishment off road and still feel grate on road.... im about to do a 4'' lift to me Patrol using tough dog shocks and supiour radious arms panhard rod's (ect) will post a pic this arvo of the bits

sr06
19th November 2011, 07:36 PM
i just put a 3" in my truck my self i only used castor bushes in the front haven't dun anything for the rear yet handles nicely great ride great flex to

hutchy84
22nd November 2011, 02:34 PM
Well i just bought myself a 2" Old Man emu lift kit along with there new Sports shock so i will see how this goes when i fit them and i will let u know

Clunk
23rd November 2011, 12:10 AM
Well i just bought myself a 2" Old Man emu lift kit along with there new Sports shock so i will see how this goes when i fit them and i will let u know

nice one Hutchy, don't forget to take some before and after pics mate............. can't go wrong with OME 2" lift to start with, got some on me GQ a little while ago, sooooooo much better now