PDA

View Full Version : road worthy garage west melbourne

boggy2006
9th November 2011, 03:23 PM
hi,
can anyone recommend a garage for a roadworthy in the west of Melbourne, one who is knowledgeable about 4x4s and doesn't tend to pick on every tiny thing or just tries to make money?

Any tips on how to best to present an old 4x4 for the road worthy? ie. Does it have to look like new?!

Are dents in the doors and sills ok, or should I knock these out.

My MQ is far from ready yet, but just getting prepared.

I've done MOTs in the past which are the annual UK equivalent of the RWC, but rust was allowed there as long as it wasn't holed or structural. Dents ok too. Also the test station did not do repairs, so had no financial interest in failing uneccessarily. I never trust a place that's got a financial interest in finding something wrong! Not done a Vic RWC yet so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

AB
9th November 2011, 03:34 PM
Not over West Melbourne but know some people in the east.

The problem being a lot of people pick on everything as their business is on the line if they let things go and get picked up by Vicroads for a dodgy roadworthy.

I know two people over east who are both knowledgable but they will most likely want to fix everything that they believe needs to be fixed.

My guy did let the rust on the window seals go but that was about it....lol

boggy2006
9th November 2011, 04:05 PM
yeah, I can understand things that need to be fixed, but I've read stuff saying they'll find things for the sake of it, like a stained patch from topping up the oil or from greaseable joints or a bit of paint flaking off. Is the vehicle expected to be as new, or just safe for the road (or are both considered to be the same!?).

AB
9th November 2011, 04:14 PM
No a good honest mechanic should be purely safe for the road attitude, including structure of the body too (structual concerns with rust) but not aesthetics so to speak.