PDA

View Full Version : Refilling the transmission

4x4 patrol
9th November 2011, 03:52 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and so far I have found lots of good info that I can use. Anyways I recently bought a 66 Patrol with the P40 motor and the three speed transmission. After getting it home I decided to drain all of the fluids because it had sat for about 19 years (And it still runs!!). So I removed both drain plugs and drained it out but I can only find one fill plug. And I can't seem to get any more than a quart of fluid in there before it runs out. Is there another fill plug on top of the transmission? Maybe under the tunnel? I don't want to drive it until I know for sure that it has enough fluid.

Anything helps, Thanks,
Jordan

canuck
9th November 2011, 05:24 AM
Hi Jordan. You just fill it to the top of the fill plug. They don't take much oil. The exact specs should be here in the section for your patrol. I am not sure where you are in Washington State. But if you tend to drive where it is cold (under -10C), you will very much appreciate running Redline MTL (synthetic GL4 gear oil). Even when it isn't cold, it seems to shift much better with Redline MTL than regular gear oil.

Now that you have the regular gear oil in there, let it run in it for a couple hundred miles and then drain and add the Redline.

Edit: A newbie error: I don't see a section here for G60 and L60 owners. See my post below.

canuck
9th November 2011, 05:31 AM
Rocky Mountain Patrol & Offroad http://www.rmp-o.com/phpBB3/ in the US should be able to help you out with local parts and other info specific to the USA.

4x4 patrol
11th November 2011, 03:26 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. I do live in a cold part of the state so redline would be a good idea.