PDA

View Full Version : Camper trailer Security

AB
8th November 2011, 08:44 PM
Yes, It's me again with another PARANOID CAMPER TRAILER QUESTION...LOL

Security on the camper. I can foresee myself leaving the camper for long periods of time to go bush when on holidays. Possibly up to 2 to 3 days away left at a remote camping site, etc.

I have a serious chain at home that I use for pulling up stumps that will now be used to tie on the welded pintle hitch wrapped around a serious tree and in need of a serious padlock.

I'm not talking about the biggest one at Bunnings that can be popped open with a bunnings style bolt cutters I'm after something with serious metal or even a container style box over the lock to prevent cutting.

The chain I have is pretty thick and unless you had serious leverage and good quality cutters you would struggle to cut it....Unless you have a dewalt/Milwaukee grinder of course...lol

I would also love to hear from anyone if they have any ideas or tricks, etc on other forms of security when camping and leaving their gear at the site.

Aside from a shoes lace tied to a shotgun just inside the door of course...LMAO

belzi82
8th November 2011, 08:45 PM

Security on the camper. I can foresee myself leaving the camper for long periods of time to go bush when on holidays. Possibly up to 2 to 3 days away left at a remote camping site, etc.

I have a serious chain at home that I use for pulling up stumps that will now be used to tie on the welded pintle hitch wrapped around a serious tree and in need of a serious padlock.

I'm not talking about the biggest one at Bunnings that can be popped open with a bunnings style bolt cutters I'm after something with serious metal or even a container style box over the lock to prevent cutting.

The chain I have is pretty thick and unless you had serious leverage and good quality cutters you would struggle to cut it....Unless you have a dewalt/Milwaukee grinder of course...lol

I would also love to hear from anyone if they have any ideas or tricks, etc on other forms of security when camping and leaving their gear at the site.

Aside from a shoes lace tied to a shotgun just inside the door of course...LMAO

lol you are paranoid, making me think about what security options there is for a tent!!

AB
8th November 2011, 08:47 PM
lol you are paranoid, making me think about what security options there is for a tent!!

Olive oil and a cut pillow case mate...LMAO....Kernel Sanders style!

Mazodude
8th November 2011, 08:47 PM
guard dogs? stuff two or three in there :D

AB
8th November 2011, 08:48 PM
guard dogs? stuff two or three in there :D

Getting better, I like it...Whos going to feed them though...lol

belzi82
8th November 2011, 08:48 PM
Olive oil and a cut pillow case mate...LMAO

Seriously I have been out bush camping many times and I have never heard of a tent or caravan getting broken into!!

Mazodude
8th November 2011, 08:50 PM
Getting better, I like it...Whos going to feed them though...lol

The robbers :D (arms, legs)

NissanGQ4.2
8th November 2011, 08:52 PM
C4 works a treat, if there going 2 take it they might as well take with them 2 there grave :)

Mate it they want 2 steal it they will steal it what ever you do. The only thing I would invest in if I had one is a tracker system.

The harder you make it 2 steal the more likely it will get stolen.

AB
8th November 2011, 09:00 PM
C4 works a treat, if there going 2 take it they might as well take with them 2 there grave :)

Mate it they want 2 steal it they will steal it what ever you do. The only thing I would invest in if I had one is a tracker system.

The harder you make it 2 steal the more likely it will get stolen.

My old man was very paranoid hence my paranoia...lol

I can't remember the exact town but on one of our Simpson trips back in the 90's we camped about 5km from a town and went in just with the vehicles for supplies and pub, etc and returned to find slashed tents, things missing, slashed tyres from the vehicles left at camp and a stolen trailer.

Yep, I'm one paranoid puppy these days...LMAO

Maxhead
8th November 2011, 09:06 PM
Good question mate. We have always trusted the conditions and never bothered to set up to much security. So far no problems but most areas have been very remote.
Hard to say but best I can offer is a camera you can buy and set up on a tree next to your camp...this way you'll see a number plate if a car stole your van or people that came in.

We use these on animal traps we set up or near "no access" gates http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stealth-Compact-Digital-Trail-Scouting-Hunting-Camera-/280605392876?pt=AU_Video_Cameras&hash=item4155627fec#ht_4442wt_1139es..... Cheap insurance

DX grunt
8th November 2011, 09:13 PM

1. Make sure you have your camper and contents insured
2. If you can't take all your valuables with you, at least mark them so they can be identified either visually or under UV light. Many people over here use their driver's licence number, because it belongs to them - forever. Put sticker/s on the windows with words to the effect "All valuables have been marked for identification".
3. Use the chain
4. Jack your trailer up and take some or all of the wheels off and either hide them, or take them with you, but don't forget to put them back on before you hitch up and take off. lol
5. Hire a lighting tower, a roll or two of razor wire and a security guard ( Not Schultz - he sees nuth ink. lol)

NissanGQ4.2
8th November 2011, 09:13 PM
My old man was very paranoid hence my paranoia...lol

I can't remember the exact town but on one of our Simpson trips back in the 90's we camped about 5km from a town and went in just with the vehicles for supplies and pub, etc and returned to find slashed tents, things missing, slashed tyres from the vehicles left at camp and a stolen trailer.

Yep, I'm one paranoid puppy these days...LMAO

Camp further away from town

Bob
8th November 2011, 09:22 PM
I have never lost anything from any of my Camps in the High Country

belzi82
8th November 2011, 09:25 PM
AB are you worried that you are going away with a Dodgy crew next weekend??? Is that the real reason you want security??

hekarewe
8th November 2011, 09:37 PM
thanks AB know you have me getting parranoid as i am going to set up at a carravan park for a week and witht he awning up i cant shut the kitchen and back of trailer thinking about buying one of those tow bar locks and yes how do we secure the tent???? i never worried about this till reading this thanks alot AB!!!

frenzy
8th November 2011, 10:49 PM
Hard to say but best I can offer is a camera you can buy and set up on a tree next to your camp...this way you'll see a number plate if a car stole your van or people that came in.

We use these on animal traps we set up or near "no access" gates http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Stealth-Compact-Digital-Trail-Scouting-Hunting-Camera-/280605392876?pt=AU_Video_Cameras&hash=item4155627fec#ht_4442wt_1139es..... Cheap insurance

How cool is that camera!! I want one, I want one!!

GUtsy ute
8th November 2011, 10:55 PM
Hi AB,
The two things I have seen that would deter most would be thieves is the chain through the wheels,
round the axle and round a tree, or a removeable tow hitch.
If you can't put the chain through the wheels, a ring welded to the wheel is the other option.

The removable tow hitch I saw involved a fair bit of work, as it meant the front bit of the drawbar
unbolted with the hitch attached, leaving the two beams of the drawbar seperate with a plate welded
in the ends of each one with two threads tapped in them to bolt the front bit on.

Both methods a bit extreme I know, but if you're really worried about your camper,
the harder you make it to take it, the better.

Gavin

AB
9th November 2011, 06:33 AM
AB are you worried that you are going away with a Dodgy crew next weekend??? Is that the real reason you want security??

You got me Bel....LMAO....Nah, just the long occasional family trips where you might be away for a few weeks and might leave the camper for a few days if you decide to head into tougher areas without the camper, etc.