PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my tb42 for a td42?

Vinnythetrol
8th November 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm absolutely sick of changing heads on my tb42. Just made
The decision to change to manual but, should i just bolt in a td42 with it? the million dollar Question is, am I going to have the same head problems?
And before u say cooling issues, I'm a mechanic and this
Gq has a more serious cooling system then I even put in my
brother in laws 454 stroker camaro!
Cheers Nathan

YNOT
8th November 2011, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the forum Vinny, it's always nice to post an introduction before asking questions - no harm done.

TD42's are completely different to drive compared to the TB42, a lot less power (naturally aspirated) but better low down torque. Which suits your needs better? TD42's can be turbo'd to achieve better power than the TB42 but budget an extra $4000 minimum on top of the diesel conversion cost.

TD42 has a cast iron head instead of the TB's alloy head and in general are a lot more reliable if you get a motor that has been well maintained.

Tony

AB
8th November 2011, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the forum Nathan,

This thread below might help you a bit but being a mechanic yourself I'm sure you now all about it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5432-Diesel-conversion-%28TD42-from-TB42%29&highlight=tb42+td42

twinotter600
12th November 2011, 10:37 AM
A lot less fuel consumption for the TD42. 8-12/100 depending on tune.

Dozer
15th November 2011, 02:10 PM
had a TB42e, loved the power but hated the fuel consumption. now own a TD42 with a turbo bunged on and love it. Id imagine the TD42 without the turbo would be a bit of a slug though. all depends on what you want to use it for in the end. Offroad the lack of power wouldnt be much of a problem though as she does have the low down torque the petrol motor with big tyres is missing out on.