PDA

View Full Version : GU TD42 Turbo Upgrade

hutchy84
7th November 2011, 04:09 PM
Im looking at upgrading my stock turbo to the next size.
I currently have a HT18 and was wondering if i upgraded the turbo if i would get better fuel economy, Also Would any one know where i could get this done in perth that has a good reputation and a value for money, Possibly someone on here has had theres done and there thoughts on this
The big girl has done 330,000 kms now and i have only just bought it 5 months ago, And it still feels very Tight in the drive Train.

YNOT
7th November 2011, 05:58 PM
Is your set up still 100% stock, ie, standard exhaust, boost pressure and fuel pump? If it is then getting a basic power upgrade can be done using the standard turbo by fitting a 3" exhaust, upping the boost to 14 Psi and tuning the fuel system to suit. Fitting an intercooler will also help power, economy and engine longevity.

Beyond that places like MTQ can "hi-flow" turbo's where they machine out the compressor and turbine housings and fit bigger compressor and turbine wheels.
Alternatively you can get upgraded ball bearing turbo's like the Garrett GT2860RS which are better again.
With any upgrade you really need to start with the bigger exhaust - pointless trying to force more air in if it can't get out, and tuning will be essential to make the most of any additional airflow from modified or upgraded turbo's. If you have a factory intercooled GU you can get performance chips for the computer, non intercooled GU did not have a computer.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
7th November 2011, 06:18 PM
Yep i agree with Tony, If you ahve not tuned the thing then you will be stoked with the potential.

Things you need to do.

3" Exhaust and Dump pipe.
Install a manual Boost Controller
Install a Pyro Meter gauge.
Install a Boost gauge

Go see Mr Dyno tuning for a tickle.

I drove my GUIV TD42Ti onto the Dyno with the mods above and got 64rwkws on 33s first run. I drove out with boost up from 8psi to 14psi, fuel up and 97rwkws!!! Thats 50% upgrade in the old language right there.

You'd be nuts not to do that first.! Regardless the 3" and the rest of the shopping list will be required with what ever setup you chase. So start there and get it done. Enjoy.

hutchy84
8th November 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks Guys will look into it and get it done and will let you know of my outcome

Thanks again

hutchy84
8th November 2011, 12:07 PM
I spoke with someone from United Fuel Injectors and enquired into there Turbo Upgrades and there Stage 3 Kit consists of a aftermarket Mitsubishi TD05 Turbo and a fuel system tune and a 3" exaust and he was saying they are getting 400nm of torque

Does that sound good for the price

YNOT
8th November 2011, 12:22 PM
I spoke with someone from United Fuel Injectors and enquired into there Turbo Upgrades and there Stage 3 Kit consists of a aftermarket Mitsubishi TD05 Turbo and a fuel system tune and a 3" exaust and he was saying they are getting 400nm of torque

Does that sound good for the price

What was the price?

Tony

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2011, 02:46 PM
I'd still be giving it a Dyno and a Boost and fuel up before i go spending likely $2500 to $3k on the stage 3 upgrade?

Remember, the "fuel system Tune and the 3" exhaust" are both on the list above! you are going to do that anyways. Get that done and tune her up and see how it feels. With a stage 3 upgrade you might go from my max of 97rwkw to maybe 105rwkw to 107rwkw.

hutchy84
8th November 2011, 04:02 PM
the price is 4800k so i think i might be getting a 3" exhaust fuel tune put on and a dyno and see how it feels from there

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2011, 07:01 PM
OUCH!!! Yep get the tune bud.

Bucky
21st November 2011, 09:49 AM
You dont get much better than the boys at united. They really know their stuff with 4.2s. But otherwise do as has been suggested.

Bucky

hutchy84
21st November 2011, 02:37 PM
Yeah i spoke with the guy who owns united on saturaday at the 4x4 show and he has a 4.2 in a 2010 model and he has is set up and he is pushing a whoping 930nm of touqe which is pretty impressive and he was saying he could go so much more with the engine and the bottom end was all standard still just shows you how strong the nissans TD42T are and there drivelines

Bucky
21st November 2011, 08:29 PM
There is so much potential in the TD42 you just have to eliminate the limiting factors first

hutchy84
2nd September 2014, 06:43 PM
I finally fit a 3 inch exaust to my patrol and put a K&N air filter in and went to United fuel Injection for a Tune to which they installed a manual boost controller and they welded the intake pressure relief valve and wound the fuel up a little. Wow What a difference in performance feels like im driving a new car thanks for your advice guys really appreciated. Just have to be good now otherwise she will just drink the juice lol. Just took a while to get it done was saving for a house. I would recomend anyone looking for a basic upgrade to do this.

gubigfish
4th September 2014, 09:55 AM
Hey Hutchy

If you don't mind me asking how much did that cost you? I've got a 3" exhaust on my ute but I am pretty sure she is the stock turbo, she seems to go alright off the line.

Cheers
Fish

hutchy84
4th September 2014, 01:19 PM
Hey gubigfish,
The tune cost me $450 which included the supply of a boost controller, welding of the blow off valve and doing a pre dyno run then a tune whilst on the dyno - i gained massive gains from what i originally had really impressed the the guys at united diesel. best $450 i have spent on the car in my opinion. Only took them 4 hrs.