PDA

View Full Version : 2010 GU DX Brake upgrade

JoeG
6th November 2011, 02:55 PM
Hi all
Has any one upgraded their brakes?
My GU D/C Chassis weighs in at 2.6tonne bare with fuel and my wife and I is >2.8t
When driving it stops majestically, I changed to Bendix pads all round but still the same
With the camper (680 Kg) it is decidedly poor on brakes
Whilst the Nissan brakes are not bad for the original weight of the vehicle it need an upgrade to improve brake performance
So the question is: Has any one fitted larger disc rotors and mating pads/calipers?
If so can they suggest a supplier of same
thanks
Joe

Yendor
6th November 2011, 03:20 PM
Have you thought about fitting electric brakes to your camper trailer? or does the camper go on the back of the ute?

YNOT
6th November 2011, 03:43 PM
You may need to adjust the brake bias valve to get more pressure to the rear brakes. The bias valve senses load by how far the rear of the vehicle drops in relation to the diff, the bigger the load (and therfore the greater the suspension deflection) the more pressure it sends to the rear brakes. With your airbags in the rear the suspension won't be deflecting so it won't be sensing the load.

An easy way to test this is to get a short length (about 100mm) of 25x6mm flat bar and drilling it so you can relocate the brake bias arm where it attaches to the rear diff.

Tony

Maxhead
6th November 2011, 04:05 PM
Upgrade to slotted rotors will help braking performance, also get braided brake lines to go with update

I've heard these are pretty good but never used them myself
The RDA
http://www.ebcbrakes.com.au/index.php/rotors.html
DBA
www.dba.com.au

JoeG
6th November 2011, 05:59 PM
You may need to adjust the brake bias valve to get more pressure to the rear brakes. The bias valve senses load by how far the rear of the vehicle drops in relation to the diff, the bigger the load (and therfore the greater the suspension deflection) the more pressure it sends to the rear brakes. With your airbags in the rear the suspension won't be deflecting so it won't be sensing the load.

An easy way to test this is to get a short length (about 100mm) of 25x6mm flat bar and drilling it so you can relocate the brake bias arm where it attaches to the rear diff.

Tony
Thanks tony
However already sorted the rear brake bias sensing valve with little effect brakes are maxed out due to vehicle Total weight.
Seems having the GVM upgraded to 3.6t didn't include a brake up grade.
I suppose it's my fault as I should have asked for a brake up grade as well
Joe

JoeG
6th November 2011, 06:00 PM
Have you thought about fitting electric brakes to your camper trailer? or does the camper go on the back of the ute?
Hi Yendor
No the Camper is a slide on so sits on the tray, good for traction but is the main cause of poor braking
Joe

JoeG
6th November 2011, 06:13 PM
Upgrade to slotted rotors will help braking performance, also get cross drilled brake lines to go with update

I've heard these are pretty good but never used them myself
The RDA
http://www.ebcbrakes.com.au/index.php/rotors.html
DBA
Sent an inquiry to DBA however cross drilled not listed and slotted show as either not available or special order
so will await their reply
Joe
www.dba.com.au
Thanks
Joe

MudRunnerTD
6th November 2011, 06:51 PM
The front brakes on a 4.8 petrol are bigger and you will need more than just the callipers and disks, but it can be done. Also i highly recommend DOT rated Braided Brake lines all round for a great response.

Maxhead
6th November 2011, 07:03 PM
The front brakes on a 4.8 petrol are bigger and you will need more than just the callipers and disks, but it can be done. Also i highly recommend DOT rated Braided Brake lines all round for a great response.
Yeah, Braided lines is what I meant...lol

JoeG
7th November 2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Mudrunner
10mm bigger front and 15mm bigger rear- sounds just the job
The DBA catalog shows dimensions (for the GU) other than disc Dia. are similar so need to find a Rear Disc and Caliper and try it out
Will start looking at wreckers
Any one out there already tried this?
Joe

JoeG
11th November 2011, 10:24 AM
Found out rear Disc and Caliper not able to fit 2010 GU DX, however front Caliper and Disc will fit.
No luck with wreckers as they all say very rare to find.
So now looking for a pair of new calipers and slotted rotors.
Is there a forum member who is a Nissan dealer who can quote me supply only of 4.8 calipers?
Joe

Maxhead
11th November 2011, 11:04 AM
Found out rear Disc and Caliper not able to fit 2010 GU DX, however front Caliper and Disc will fit.
No luck with wreckers as they all say very rare to find.
So now looking for a pair of new calipers and slotted rotors.
Is there a forum member who is a Nissan dealer who can quote me supply only of 4.8 calipers?
Joe

Mate, send Nizzbits a PM. He'll give you a great price on anything Nissan
or http://www.nizzbits.com.au

JoeG
11th November 2011, 12:09 PM
Mate, send Nizzbits a PM. He'll give you a great price on anything Nissan
or http://www.nizzbits.com.au
THanks will do
Joe

JoeG
21st November 2011, 11:47 AM
Disc Rotors have arrived - now waiting for Japan to send Calipers
Joe

bigG
21st November 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi Joe
Off the topic, but what was involed in getting thr GVM upgrade
regards
gerry

JoeG
21st November 2011, 03:29 PM
Hi Joe
Off the topic, but what was involed in getting thr GVM upgrade
regards
gerry
Hi Gerry
My GVM upgrade was done Prior to original Rego (in QLD) by the company that stretched the chassis and did the Dual Cab conversion
That was so the conversion is Federally plated not state based.
The GVM upgrade was New Heavier springs 50mm longer and uprated shocks all from Lovels Springs
(it seams they have a uprate kit for the Patrols and then give a state based plate, however I'm told that this can cause a problem if you try to register in a different state later)
I'm in that position with our 1992 2.8 Hilux cab chassis I had a turbo fitted in Towoomba when I was working there in 2002 and the Mechanic I get my NSW rego done at has told me that if I ever need a Blue Slip for the Hilux I will have to get a NSW compliance plate for the Turbo - the state rules stink!
So although I can legally only rego the Hilux for 3 months a year as a primary producer I can't because it has been modified in many ways and cheaper to just pay up for full year rego and keep the peace.
Hope this makes it clearer for you
Joe

JoeG
3rd December 2011, 05:16 PM
Brake upgrade now completed
Thanks to Nizzbits for the Calipers shims and pads, also fitted slotted rotors
the hardest thing was removing the inner sleeve from the free wheeling hubs
other than that a fairly straight forward rotor and caliper change
Of note was the following:
The original nissan pads had done around 3,000 km and worn around 1mm
The replacement Bendix pads had done 5,000 km and worn 4mm
They had both done around 50/50 bare and GVM running (however I seem to remember 2 full on stops on the Bendix pads )
From the above it would seem annual pad changes will be the norm
also that both of these pads will fit the new calipers
The brakes seem better on our track, will have to fit the camper and try out the GVM load status

teleman
5th December 2011, 09:00 PM
Just wonderin if the master cylinder is ok??? Not leaking? You guys have probs all ready checked it anyway. I second that DOT rated braided brake lines. They are the biz

JoeG
6th December 2011, 05:49 PM
Just wonderin if the master cylinder is ok??? Not leaking? You guys have probs all ready checked it anyway. I second that DOT rated braided brake lines. They are the biz
Hi Teleman
My DX is a 2010model but had only done 8,000km
unfortunately I never drove the vehicle before the Chassis stretch and GVM upgrade, however the Brakes are now as I would have expected with the bigger Dia rotors and pistons in the front.
Unfortunately the rear calipers can't be fitted to the DX or I would have changed them as well
It is a shame that the GVM upgrade didn't come with the brake upgrade as well (however the conversion company did offer a lazy axel conversion but I declined this, but it would certainly have given great brakes with 6 discs)
I have had 2 close shaves when carrying the camper so far hence the urgency to upgrade.
Haven't carried the camper yet but am very pleased with the current performance.
Will fit braided lines when they arrive but want to try at GVM as is first
Joe

teleman
6th December 2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Teleman
My DX is a 2010model but had only done 8,000km
unfortunately I never drove the vehicle before the Chassis stretch and GVM upgrade, however the Brakes are now as I would have expected with the bigger Dia rotors and pistons in the front.
Unfortunately the rear calipers can't be fitted to the DX or I would have changed them as well
It is a shame that the GVM upgrade didn't come with the brake upgrade as well (however the conversion company did offer a lazy axel conversion but I declined this, but it would certainly have given great brakes with 6 discs)
I have had 2 close shaves when carrying the camper so far hence the urgency to upgrade.
Haven't carried the camper yet but am very pleased with the current performance.
Will fit braided lines when they arrive but want to try at GVM as is first
Joe

Nice one Joe. I would love to hear how the new brakes 'brake in'. If any fade sets in at any stage or things like that.
Cheers. Jono

JoeG
2nd February 2012, 07:36 AM
Nice one Joe. I would love to hear how the new brakes 'brake in'. If any fade sets in at any stage or things like that.
Cheers. Jono
Hi Teleman
Only good news the brakes are great un loaded and good loaded, no more worries about shunting idiots who cut in and brake in front
So am pleased with the result and would have to say money well spent
So nice to be able to drive with confidence - didn't have that confidence before after 2 near misses with cut ins on free way
Joe
Joe

jimmi
18th March 2013, 02:00 AM
hi guys i have a h260 out 3.0L, the front is gu, im doing a SAS in to a hilux, so i need a hand brake on the diff. the 4.8L manual apparently had h260 and a disc brake diff. haven't seen one yet to have a look.
can any on here tell me;
1 are the calipers the same for the h233 and h260 (brake pads and rotors are)
2 are the backing plates the same (the one from diff to caliper)?

JoeG
18th March 2013, 08:41 AM
Hi Jimmi
THe GU diff in the deisel has a transmission hand brake the 4.8 diff has a rear disc hand brake (like most cars)
so nothing is the same, however you don't have to use the in dic hand brakes, you can fit a transmission hand brake and just ignore the others, Hope this helps .
Where did you get the H260 diff from (as I'm looking for one to complte my brake upgrade)

jimmi
18th March 2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Jimmi
THe GU diff in the deisel has a transmission hand brake the 4.8 diff has a rear disc hand brake (like most cars)
so nothing is the same, however you don't have to use the in dic hand brakes, you can fit a transmission hand brake and just ignore the others, Hope this helps .
Where did you get the H260 diff from (as I'm looking for one to complte my brake upgrade)

sorry i didnt mention, im actully doing a SAS to a current model Hilux, im running a dual tcase and as such doesnt have an off the shelf trannsmisson brake. i can knock one up,but the parts are $500 alone, and you cant just find pads for these calipers anywhere.
i got the diff off ebay, wreckers in SA.

Mikees
28th April 2014, 01:37 PM
Brake upgrade now completed
Thanks to Nizzbits for the Calipers shims and pads, also fitted slotted rotors

Thanks for the info Joe. Can you provide a break down on costs to complete the job.
cheers
Mike

JoeG
30th April 2014, 08:47 AM
Hi Mikees
Sorry to be late replying
But we are just about to go on a 8 week trip south, Googs track then Flinders Ranges, Birdsville and western QLD then home
However approx costs
Calipers around $800 each (no second hand ones to be found)
Used new slotted rotors (cant remember but around $300 pair)
New brake pads as old pads worn 5mm in 3,000 km
Brakes now able to lock up (front) on hot mix with around 3.6 tonne all up weight
on dirt need to use front hubs and keep in 4wd as always locking up front
Just inspected front pads after 30,000 km and around 5mm wear
so for around $2,000 have turned a majestic stopper into a good stopper and saved many minor bumps
(after a trip to SA last year have locked up the Load sensing relay for rear brakes and now find can brake much better as the Heavy rear springs and air bags mean the rear never sags more than 50mm with 1, 000 kg on tray (camper 650 kg bare and 190 l fuel 250 l water then food and clothing, recovery gear in tray locker 2 spare tyres etc)
The new 4.635 diffs have also increased the engine braking significantly so cruise control able to keep speed in check without brakes down hiill so that also explains some of the less brake pad wear
Hope all this helps as pulling up close on 4 tone on dirt safely is my main concern as I like to go on trips and come back in one piece
so were off tomorrow, (just off to fuel up and check tyres fridge and freezer running and food chilling) Bye
Joe