PDA

View Full Version : New computer chip vs new exhaust system

mitchelljames
5th November 2011, 04:01 PM
Hi all, i was after any information on new computer chips to achieve more power and better fuel economy vs installing a new exhaust system.. i have heard people talk about both, any information of your experiences would be appreciated to help me get my 2008 GU cab chassis running at full power..cheers

growler2058
5th November 2011, 04:06 PM
I have only looked into chip an exhaust packages for wifeys Prado (shhhhhhh dont tell the others hahahha) and it seems to get the most out of both you should get a "package", though the fella I was speaking to from Roo systems said the chip would be more benefit alone than exhaust alone. in saying that he probably wants me to buy his chip.

mitchelljames
5th November 2011, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone
I have heard a lot about getting new computer chips to achieve greater power and fuel economy, also people often talk about bigger exhaust systems to achieve the same result, if anyone has tried these methods or know any others could you please give me some feedback as im not sure what to get for my 2008 GU ... ill appreciate any help cheers

Arwon
6th November 2011, 07:52 AM
I too have a 2008 with standard exhaust and using the Chipit chip and very happy with both power and economy. There are a few improvements that you can do to your standard exhaust that will improve it, without the expense of buy a new one.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the spelling.

mitchelljames
6th November 2011, 09:51 AM
cheers growlers i think if i can afford it ill get a package , i looked at a few chips most offer 20% more power but they wouldn't say if the economy would get better , i think a lot of it comes down to driving stye, arwon i will look into that chip if its working for you , what else could i do to my standard exhaust ?

nowoolies
6th November 2011, 10:43 AM
ive got the tunit chip installed 2 weeks ago
so far havent seen any change in fuel economy not happy , but only on second fill up
heaps more power though like a sports version of a Patrol hahahahaha
i have talked to all the manufacture`s of the chips and they say the chips are designed to run on the factory fitted exhaust
and any mods to the exhaust system from turbo to tailpipe will require a modification to the chip usually via a laptop

BearGUST
7th November 2011, 10:59 AM
I fitted a 3" system to my ZD30 before I did the chip, I noticed how much more freely the engine revved. An exhaust system on a forced induction engine is normally the place to start so I'd be inclined to say do the exhaust first. I installed a chip later which also made a difference but not as much as the exhaust.

maque
14th December 2011, 01:34 PM
Hi everyone
I have heard a lot about getting new computer chips to achieve greater power and fuel economy, also people often talk about bigger exhaust systems (http://www.jcwhitney.com/performance-exhaust-systems/c14684j1s17.jcwx) to achieve the same result, if anyone has tried these methods or know any others could you please give me some feedback as im not sure what to get for my 2008 GU ... ill appreciate any help cheers
can you tell me the size of the exhaust that fits my nissan? thanks a lot for any response.

Sir Roofy
14th December 2011, 01:51 PM
can you tell me the size of the exhaust that fits my nissan? Thanks a lot for any response.

standard pipe ?probably 2.75"

Guido
23rd December 2011, 06:49 PM
On the CRD I've installed a 3" system (including dump pipe) with the chip it chip. Currently set on Folder 7.
For the 1st time yesterday I had a chance to take it for a run up Willunga Hill here in SA - a long steep gradient.
4th gear with not a great deal of effort maintained 105km/h - with EGT around the 530 mark
Very impressed compared to standard
Cheers Guido

Maxhead
23rd December 2011, 07:03 PM
There are a few improvements that you can do to your standard exhaust that will improve it, without the expense of buy a new one.

What improvements might they be. I am interested in finding out. I have already got rid of the rear sound resinator..or what ever they're called

ian59
12th January 2012, 09:52 AM
i put the dp chip in my 2007.and could feel the difference in power especially in lower gears.haven't seen any difference in fuel economy.but didn't really expect any as increased power would normally meen more fuel.in my way of thinking anyway

APTUNING
17th January 2012, 07:33 AM
Benefit from exhaust and ECU tuning are mutually exclusive so if you get another 10% power from exhaust then you will still get an additional 20% from your chip ( from factory levels not 20% of 110% ).

To get the maximum from your patrol you should consider actual ECU tuning as there are more parameters to play with when tuning the program , most boxes/chips simply chuck more fuel through but with ECU tuning the engine operates more efficently and you can customise for most modifications