PDA

View Full Version : Good Fridge

tusman
4th November 2011, 09:28 PM
Hi all, I have been looking at getting a fridge for the trollette, looked at the usual Weaco and Engel but have also looked at some of the cheepies on ebay, one in particular which has the danfoss compressor same as Weaco and had a 5 year warrenty for $500.
I am looking t a 40 to 60 litre and would prefer a fridge freezer as apposed to a cooler. I would rather spend the money now and get a good one, but if I can get one cheap that is the same quality as a good brand this would also be good, any feedback is greatly appreciated. Tusman

AB
4th November 2011, 09:37 PM
At least get a 60 litre mate. I wouldn't get a 40 litre personally.

I have a 60 litre Waeco and I love it but if you have a family then you may struggle a bit.

I have a family of 3 and it just and I mean just holds enough for us.

Beer takes up a lot of room and I don't mean to sound like a bogan but to hold can's of beverages, food, etc that will be taken out regularly then at least a 60 litre fridge.

boots
4th November 2011, 09:39 PM
ARB run danfoss compressors in there new series fridges aswell , but I dont know anyone who has one . have been told to look at current draw
cause some are thirsty energy zappers - dual battery setup required etc . but I do like the engel and when the fun and funds manager allows
me ......

the ferret
4th November 2011, 09:48 PM
Engel mate end of story!! can't go wrong, shop around Camping world and a few others and get the best price with all the fruit.
They will budge on prices.
Cheers. the ferret.

tusman
4th November 2011, 09:53 PM
yep must agree the engel's do seem to set the bar. and thanks AB we all enjoy a beer or three so very important we alow room.

AB
4th November 2011, 09:59 PM
I am an Engel fan myself mate and would prefer one rather then the Waeco but It's the old Ford / Holden arguement too...LMAO

They are both good fridges....Just spend the extra money on the capacity....That is a must do!

the ferret
4th November 2011, 11:08 PM
Engel mate, buy good, buy once, there is one at the 4by show in Perth, been run over, squashed hard to even recognise, no lid just gladwrap, themometer inside says ICE cold.
I have an Engel 60l at least 30 years old, bent, sat on, rusty, been around OZ 6 times on some very rough tracks (Shady Camp) for one, still performs without fault.
I'd like to see a Waeco do that!
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
4th November 2011, 11:29 PM
So I'm guessinng a 60L Engel would be the go then!!!!!????? lol

the ferret
4th November 2011, 11:31 PM
That's the go mate, you won't regret it.
Cheers the ferret.

Silver
4th November 2011, 11:34 PM
Engels and others with compressors are great for touring or where there is good access to solar or other sources of electricity.

On the other hand, if you are going to set up a base camp somewhere, consider a gas three way.

Maxhead
5th November 2011, 06:36 AM
Mate, I would'n worry about the Chinese copies mate. Some decent stuff comes out of there.

Waeco v Engle , some old argument again mate. I have both and happy with both mate...no dramas. People reckon they're great but have not tried anything else

Here's one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50L-Car-Fridge-Freezer-CF-50-AC-12v-24v-Portable-/260884906240?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_ Catering_Equipment&hash=item3cbdf3c100#ht_9635wt_1344

nowoolies
5th November 2011, 09:45 AM
get a engel mate
and dont get a 60 litre get 2 x 40 litres 1 for a freezer and one for a fridge
because if your 60 litre breaks down in the middle of nowhere your stuffed and thats experiance talking out the back of marble bar and 1 stuffed 60 litre
made the trip terrible i now have 3 x40 litre engels
if 1 of the 40`s breaks down you still got one for keeping the beer cold ...what more could one want hahahahahahahahahaha

tusman
5th November 2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone, does sound like the Engel 60l is the go. Cheers tusman

DX grunt
6th November 2011, 06:19 AM
Hey mate,

I run a 95lt Evakool and am more than happy with it.

Here’s the link.
http://www.australiandirect.com.au/shop/portable-fridges/10?gclid=CJmaxvmgoKwCFaoB4goddwx43Q

or

http://www.evakoolstore.com/?gclid=COCOq7KhoKwCFYUfpAodXkPf2g

Take care out there.

Rossco

macca
6th November 2011, 09:04 AM
I am reading this a bit late, but we are Engel fans had one since 1982, only sold it to get a more modern low amps model 5 years ago.
My brother is a fridgee, he was working in Perth where they serviced Engel and Waeco.
Bench each side of workshop for each brand and they were both covered in fridges.
The Engels were 20 odd years old, needing a re-gas and every Waeco was a warrantee repair.
He has one with the external coil wrapped around the outside of the cabinet Its that old.
At Innaminka there is a Waeco graveyard, heaps of dead ones left behind and no Engels. Mith or not I dont know but a 4WD Australia journo told me about it.
A 40litre is ample big enough for two people, we have had great trips to Fraser, Kimberleys, the Simpson and Anne Beadell with not a worry in the world and heaps of frostys too. Hundreds of weekend trips, shopping trips and used as an extra fridge for partys Xmas etc
Macca

tusman
14th November 2011, 05:22 PM
Hey if anyone is interested I brought a 40l Engel yesterday from Aussie Disposals, Brand new with insulated bag for $850, on sale until the end of the month if anyone wants one. Not quite as big as I was after but thought that was a good deal so snaped it up. Cheers and thanks for all the advice again

macca
14th November 2011, 07:40 PM
A good deal?? You stole it at that price! They're normally $1200 without the bag so that's a champion price mate!!

You won't regret it mate, great fridges.

X2 I think BCF here are $1295 without the bag, great price tusman