PDA

View Full Version : Expensive glow plugs

rkinsey
4th November 2011, 01:15 PM
I have the 1997 GQ with the 2.8TD Y60. This engine has the two stage glow plug system with 12v Battery and 6.5v plugs.

I have been looking up prices for replacement glow plugs and got the shock of my life when my local parts guy (Nice bloke, local and can source any part you need) says "Rob, a set of glow plugs for your GQ will cost $665.00!!"

Bloody hell!!... good thing I was sitting down. Apparently only NGK manufacture these plugs.

I'm researching this one for supply (and might just go overseas to do it) my question to some of you more senior mechanicly minded gentlemen is this, "Is this the only option open to me or do you know of other parts sources that doesnt require me to replace the engine when a fan belt breaks? (sorry, I'm still getting over the shock...)

Cheers,

Rob

NissanGQ4.2
4th November 2011, 07:36 PM
Hi Rob,

Are you experiencing problems hence the looking up of prices?

Cheers

Todd

NissanGQ4.2
4th November 2011, 08:12 PM
do u know what the NGK part number is on the plug?

Maxhead
4th November 2011, 08:38 PM
Have you looked at eBay?? bit cheaper if these are the same: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-6-Glow-Plug-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-Y60-RD28T-2-8L-6cyl-Turbo-RD28-Diesel-Safari-/120800366091?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c20434e0b#ht_2141wt_1139

NissanGQ4.2
4th November 2011, 08:53 PM
Karmont @ Arndell Park do them - there part number CP70 and CP71 well thats if you have the RD28T engine

not sure on price, they use Partech Glow Plugs ( Japan )

http://www.karmot.com/pdf/GlowPlugCatalogue.pdf

rkinsey
7th November 2011, 07:39 AM
Hi Rob,

Are you experiencing problems hence the looking up of prices?

Cheers

Todd

Hi Todd, Yes mate. Difficult to start on cold mornings and idles ruff for a few minutes after it does start. It did blow a lot of black smoke when it did start but I fixed that when I replaced the air filter during the maintenance I have been doing over the past few months.

While diong an oil change the other weekend I checked the continuity of the glow plugs and found three of them dont work at all.

Cheers,

Rob

rkinsey
7th November 2011, 07:45 AM
Karmont @ Arndell Park do them - there part number CP70 and CP71 well thats if you have the RD28T engine

not sure on price, they use Partech Glow Plugs ( Japan )

http://www.karmot.com/pdf/GlowPlugCatalogue.pdf

Cheers mate. They're the ones I'm looking for

rkinsey
7th November 2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks NissPat,

They seem to be the right ones as well.

Cheers,

Rob

dragonslayer
7th November 2011, 08:12 AM
dont buy yhr cheap one of ebay, i brought these due to a lack of funds at the time the lasted 6months, 2 of them blew the core out of the plug bent up the bridging plates and it sounded like a charf cutter luckly i was only around the corner from home

NissanGQ4.2
7th November 2011, 03:39 PM
Cheers mate. They're the ones I'm looking for

hahahah, was about 2 post up saying if you want 2 order them from Karmont and need someone 2 pick them up, I'm not that far from Arndell Park, thought I would look you up on the member map because I couldn't remember where in Sydney u are located.............your alot closer 2 Arndell Park than me *L*

rkinsey
7th November 2011, 09:51 PM
hahahah, was about 2 post up saying if you want 2 order them from Karmont and need someone 2 pick them up, I'm not that far from Arndell Park, thought I would look you up on the member map because I couldn't remember where in Sydney u are located.............your alot closer 2 Arndell Park than me *L*

Hahaha.... Cheers Todd. Yep they are just down th eroad from me. I'll give em a call tomorrow and check em out.

rkinsey
7th November 2011, 09:53 PM
dont buy yhr cheap one of ebay, i brought these due to a lack of funds at the time the lasted 6months, 2 of them blew the core out of the plug bent up the bridging plates and it sounded like a charf cutter luckly i was only around the corner from home

Thanks Dragonslayer.

You're right. You often get what you pay for and I have always said doant go for the cheapies but dont always go for the expensive ones either. Stick to mid range and you generally cant go wrong.

canuck
8th November 2011, 08:18 AM
Did you try the part number on some US sites? I know the 2.8 uses two different plugs and they are bit more expensive; but, you should be able to find them a lot cheaper than what you were quoted. I bought a set of 24V ones from my td4.2 Safari from Rockauto in the US. I paid just under $55 for all six of them including shipping. Sellers here in BC wanted $56 each plug before tax and shipping.

lachiek
9th November 2011, 01:06 PM
Hey rkinsey did you get a quote on these for the 2.8? The right price might just stop me ripping the lot out and putting in a manual glow button and single rail.

Cheers

rkinsey
18th November 2011, 11:13 AM
Hi Lachiek,

I have just sent them an email and should have a reply shortly. I'll post the response I get from them.

Cheers,

Rob

rkinsey
18th November 2011, 03:39 PM
Well, from http://www.rockauto.com it will cost $320.67 (inc freight) and that is for 4 x NGK Part # 2896 {#CX51} and 4 x NGK Part # 3209 {#CZ51}

They only sell them in packs of four items each.

NissanGQ4.2
18th November 2011, 03:43 PM
Did you try the mob at Arndell Park???

rkinsey
18th November 2011, 03:48 PM
Yep, they actually called me back. Nice bloke too. Didnt give me the RRP though but did say that I would get a fair amount of change from half the earlier quoted price.

They sell through Repco and Burson Automotive.

Im going to go to Repco in the morning and checkout the prices.

I'll post up prices when I have them.

NissanGQ4.2
18th November 2011, 04:28 PM
Yep, they actually called me back. Nice bloke too. Didnt give me the RRP though but did say that I would get a fair amount of change from half the earlier quoted price.

They sell through Repco and Burson Automotive.

Im going to go to Repco in the morning and checkout the prices.

I'll post up prices when I have them.

Try Burson as well I'm pretty sure they are a fairly good price wise

rkinsey
21st November 2011, 01:51 PM
OK, here are the prices.

Burson Automotive:
CP70 and CP71 are $60.00 each. So the set of six are $360.00

Repco:
Set of Six are $250.00 (They didnt give me the individual part price)

NissanGQ4.2
21st November 2011, 05:24 PM
OK, here are the prices.

Burson Automotive:
CP70 and CP71 are $60.00 each. So the set of six are $360.00

Repco:
Set of Six are $250.00 (They didnt give me the individual part price)

Ouch....... sure know how 2 charge for glow plugs!

rkinsey
21st November 2011, 07:52 PM
Ouch....... sure know how 2 charge for glow plugs!

Repco so far are the cheapest. I dont think Im going to get any cheaper in Aus without compromising on quality.

I would have to pick up my first 4WD with the only motor to have a dual glow plug system...... Oh well... we live and we learn... generally the hard way!!

WaxFraq
22nd November 2011, 01:22 AM
check out the plugs from milneroffroad. I am using them now, and they came really fast! Here also they're charging insane for the G.plugs...why??

http://www.milneroffroad.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=13_67_2932_3817