PDA

View Full Version : Servicing questions

butters
3rd November 2011, 01:19 PM
Quick look to post here, sorry if it's the wrong section

My gq's done 333xxx now, done about 12xxx with me. I've done an oil & filter change + skimmed rotors & new brake pads.
Haven't done grease points.

I'm just a poor apprenticeship & all my money goes to racing bikes.

So, does $250 sounds alright for doing diff, gearbox & transfer case + all belts?
Is it worth getting the clutch fluid done as well?
Forgot about the radiator, i'm adding a few litres of distilled water every month. I reckon she's leaking.
What would be reasonable to repair that & give it a good flush?

Cheers
Russ

YNOT
3rd November 2011, 04:13 PM
I moved your post to here Russ.

If you're doing all the work yourself then $250 should easily cover it. You might want to invest in an oil transfer pump to make it easier to get oil into the gearbox, transfer and diffs.
Clutch fluid is brake fluid so I would definately do that as well.

You will need to get your cooling system pressure tested to find where it is leaking before you can get any idea of what it will cost to repair.

Tony

butters
3rd November 2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks Tony :)

That's actually a price quoted by a mechanic that does our work utes, so i'm guessing it's decent?

So do you mean clutch fluid to brake fluid as they both expand when hot & degrade with use?

Anything else worth doing for now?

YNOT
3rd November 2011, 06:09 PM
The fluid used in the clutch hydraulic circuit is actually brake fluid.

Brake fluid is hygoscopic, meaning it absorbs water. Too much water and it causes corrosion. Brake/clutch fluid needs to be replaced every 2 years regardless of Km's.

The other/main problem with excessive moisture in brake fluid is when the fluid gets hot the water turns to steam which is compressible - the last thing you need when your brakes are getting a big workout is the pedal going to the floor. Not so much of a problem with the clutch as the fluid rarely gets that hot.

Tony

butters
3rd November 2011, 06:30 PM
Yup righto sounds good i'll do that as well.

butters
26th February 2012, 09:46 PM
Gday fellas, hopefully another quick one. My springs are pretty shoddy & the front is sagging a lot. Got a quote from 4x4 & More for springs all round fitted for just under $700. That'll give me a 2" lift, does this sound reasonable? And will the shocks in there atm be fine with the new springs or they need to be matched?

Cheers

Bigrig
26th February 2012, 09:53 PM
I'd be doing shocks and springs at the same time mate - $700 installed sounds a bit rich for springs alone, but that said, not sure of the springs you're getting. I got my old Dobinson 4" springs for $397 and cost about $200 for the install back about 14 months ago. I swapped the shocks myself as they are pretty easy to do.

What springs are you installing???

butters
26th February 2012, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty sure they said EMS springs? Or something along those lines?? I would've thought if they're doing the springs it's a lot easier to chuck the shockies in at the same time, albeit more $$$.

butters
27th February 2012, 02:05 AM
What springs are you installing???

EFS were the springs they quoted, mate.
And after doing a bit of eBaying, I'm a bit put off by the quote

Seems I can get 2" Dobinson springs for $300 & King springs for $290

eBaying saw these 2" lift kits (springs & shocks only) as follows;

Tough Dog - $990
Lovells - $700
Dobinsons - $725
Ironman - $770
Kings - $600 (real cheap....they have a good rep, or used to?, but i'm not sure about them in 4x4)
Blupac - $560

And finally EFS - $950

To clarify, they quoted me 2" EFS springs for just under $700, fitted. Just weighing up my options....any input is appreciated :)

Cheers

aaron
27th February 2012, 06:58 AM
EFS is a good brand so is TOUGH DOG

Im running Tough Dog shocks with dobinsons springs and is fantastic off & on road even tho it's 4in not 2in
you can fit shocks and springs your self it is not hard !!!!!

butters
27th February 2012, 02:38 PM
We have some nice tracks here aaron, wanna trek it over here & give me a hand?! :D

I struggle for time, hence the quote from a shop. Trying to get my race bike ready for this season :)

aaron
27th February 2012, 07:26 PM
LOL Perth otha sid of oz a bit far for me other wise i wuld bud

butters
28th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Haha all good mate, yeah i'm liking the idea of Dobi springs with either EFS or tough dog shocks. I know the owner so i'll tell him what I wanna do & if he can give me a decent price, otherwise i'll buy it off the net I guess

butters
3rd March 2012, 02:58 PM
Rightoooo. Reason I was lookin at springs was because someone told me that was causing my death wobble.

Brendan at Perth 4x4 (top bloke) did the same test the other guy did & said my drag link/rod...thingo, is fucked. So $300 later and it's getting fitted Wednesday :)

Did a lot more local research on lift kits this time. Turns out I can get a 3" Tough Dog lift for $1,800 fitted
I can also get a 2" Ironman lift for $1,260 fitted

Thoughts on this? Tough Dog vs Ironman...

Woof
3rd March 2012, 10:44 PM
Replied to your PM Russ

aaron
4th March 2012, 10:47 PM
dobo springs 4in XHD rear $170 front to suit steel bull bar & winch $150..... 4in-5in travel tough dog fome cell $890 back pair $890 front pair ajustabel supiour comp spec kit with radious arms to suot 4-5in $4100

butters
21st March 2012, 11:52 AM
Alright I replaced the drag link rod with a nice chunky one. It's almost gotten rid of the shake.

It now has a very audible whine when at low speed through the steering wheel? And when turnin at full lock it's the same. Is this normal?? Or just brought on from the strong drag link?

White Elephant
21st March 2012, 04:31 PM
EFS is a good brand so is TOUGH DOG

Im running Tough Dog shocks with dobinsons springs and is fantastic off & on road even tho it's 4in not 2in
you can fit shocks and springs your self it is not hard !!!!!

I'm running the same, did the conversion myself in a day.

pominozjohn
24th March 2012, 12:24 PM
Is there an online tutorial for replacing springs / shocks ? Also wouldn't a 2" body lift (polyurethane spacers ) cure the problems with sagging at a fraction of the cost?

butters
24th March 2012, 01:45 PM
But it leaves all my lovely underbody bits & bobs at the same height :)