PDA

View Full Version : GQ Larger Fuel Tank

NewDan
1st November 2011, 09:12 AM
Hey all, Has anyone fitted a larger fuel tank to a petrol GQ, (95 Ti TB42e) . Whats fits?, How hard is it?, did you need to tell you insurance company?, any feedback would be appreciated. Dan

YNOT
1st November 2011, 09:47 AM
If you're running straight petrol (no LPG or LPG tank mounted inside the vehicle) you have 2 options, the easiest is to replace the original 95l tank with an aftermarket 145l tank in the same position. The other option is to fit a 70l auxilliary tank just in front of the back axle on the RHS.
If you have an LPG tank in place of the original petrol tank then you probably already have the 70l aux. tank and don't really have any other options.

As long as any tank you fit is engineer approved and blue plated you won't have any trouble with insurance.

Tony

NewDan
1st November 2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah got the LPG tank at the back, unfortunate thing is you can't get LPG everywhere in Country Vic. So I suppose it's the price I will have to pay for the cheaper around town stuff.

Warnie
1st November 2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah it will dan, I have the same setup LPG and 70 litre petrol tank and I just take jrry cans with me if I need to have extra fuel. Its annoying but it is the price you pay for being able to drive around on fuel that costs 60c/L.

jaxt
1st November 2011, 04:54 PM
on this issue.
say hypothetically dan or I have a 70l petrol tank and a 90l gas tank, can bigger tanks be achieved ie 90l and 120l respectively with some bodylift?

YNOT
1st November 2011, 05:52 PM
on this issue.
say hypothetically dan or I have a 70l petrol tank and a 90l gas tank, can bigger tanks be achieved ie 90l and 120l respectively with some bodylift?

It is possible to increase the height of the petrol tank but I don't think you can do much with the gas tank. While you would be able to increase the diameter vertically I don't think there is room horizontally.

Tony

NewDan
1st November 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys, on that have you had any safety issues with petrol in jerrry cans? I know its more explosive that some other fuels, where do you carry it.. roof..trailer..in the cabin?

Warnie
1st November 2011, 11:28 PM
I carry it in my draws in the back as I don't have roof racks, but I don't need to carry it that often, I very rarely need to go further than 700kms without filling up (about max distance I would wanna go without having more fuel available)

my third 256
2nd November 2011, 04:24 AM
i had a 95 ti on gas and it had a 95 ltr petrol tank on the drivers side the tank had an extra chamber on the backthat went over the diff
or you could fit an extra gas tank as a mate of mine has done on his land cruser

pearcey
14th November 2011, 09:41 PM
G`day Newman.
I have a 150lt main tank, a 70 lt aux on the right and a 70 lt on the left .the exhaust was changed on the left so as to fit the tank in .
We fitted the muffler under the passengers seat and ran the tail pipe up close to the tailshaft. All professionally fitted and it works well.

AS for carrying extra fuel as I did on the canning I used a 60 lt drum carried and strapped in a cradle behind the cage inside the vehicle.
I figured that thinners and other very volatile fuels are carried and thrown off of trucks with no ill effects they should be ok, and it worked a treat.