PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Saving Devices

Cadbury
28th October 2011, 11:08 AM
Hi all,
Has anyone fitted a fuel saving device that actually worked?
If so what was it and how much fuel did it actually save.
My gu is just soooooooooooo thirsty.
Cheers
Tim

nowoolies
28th October 2011, 11:11 AM
Hi all,
Has anyone fiyyed a fuel saving device that actually worked?
If so what was it and how much fuel did it actually save.
My gu is just soooooooooooo thirsty.
Cheers
Tim

wait for a couple of days mate
my new Tunit chip gets fitted this morning
my starting fuel useage is 5.48 klm per ltr
it can only go up .....i hope hahahahahaha

patch697
28th October 2011, 11:13 AM
Whats your mileage & setup mate?

I've not known of or fitted anything that actually works as such but that doesn't mean theirs nothing out there that will.

patch697
28th October 2011, 11:15 AM
Whats your mileage & setup mate?

I've not known of or fitted anything that actually works as such but that doesn't mean theirs nothing out there that will.

A very well tuned engine & a change of driving habbits I find to be the most effective fuel saving method around.

nowoolies
28th October 2011, 11:16 AM
A very well tuned engine & a change of driving habbits I find to be the most effective fuel saving method around.

thanks Paul
what you sayin willis bout my drivin hahahahahahahahahaha

Cadbury
28th October 2011, 11:21 AM
Man I am getting about 4.7km to a litre.
Is this chip for petrol or deisel

patch697
28th October 2011, 11:22 AM

on what fuel type?

nowoolies
28th October 2011, 11:22 AM
Is this chip for petrol or deisel

diesle mate
im not sure about petrol
have a look at the Tunit website that should tell you

Cadbury
28th October 2011, 11:27 AM
Do you reccon you can get a great improvment on fuel economy just by getting the injectors cleaned?

nowoolies
28th October 2011, 11:30 AM
im told the fuel rack pressures have a lot to do with mileage
if its low mileage is crap......so im told

Grizzly
29th October 2011, 12:47 AM
Drive slower on the highway (95 or less). Makes a big difference I found.

I've heard that hiclones can help but I'm pretty sceptical about em myself. Performance chip will definately help on a rig with a computer.

The 4.5L is a very thirsty beast though, regardless of what you do.

shaunh
29th October 2011, 02:09 PM
Did a test at tafe on the dyno with and without a hiclone hiclone dropped horsepower and L/km was up so they're a downgrade, If they worked manufacturers would install them

Grizzly
29th October 2011, 06:14 PM
Did a test at tafe on the dyno with and without a hiclone hiclone dropped horsepower and L/km was up so they're a downgrade, If they worked manufacturers would install them

Jeez, what a load of it then. Where did you put the hiclone? I've had some bloke trying to convince me that putting one before a turbo on a diesel engine helps the turbo spool up faster for a quicker response and then one after the turbo aligns the air molecules for a better burn at the cylinders...

The air molecule thing is what put me off. I kind of get how the turbo might possibly see some advantage out of it.

ishie
16th April 2012, 05:25 PM
im about to buy a Fuel Saving Products (http://www.jcwhitney.com/fuel-saving-products/c55511j1s17.jcwx) but i was wondering if there is any recommendations here? any response please. thanks a lot.

Winnie
16th April 2012, 05:59 PM
What are you looking to buy?

megatexture
16th April 2012, 06:40 PM
the only fuel saver I’ve found is a garage/carport but you have to leave your car in it and you will save fuel guaranteed!!

97_gq_lwb
16th April 2012, 07:29 PM
Heres a few fuel saver tips
New 02 sensor or sensors as most ecu's these days will use these and other factors to adjust mixtures when cruising .
Make sure you have the correct thermostat critical to fuel consumption on any efi car is that the ecu gets to see the preset factory temp before it leans out.
I found most cars respond well to higher octane fuel like bp ultimate if everything else is working fine.
A few degrees timing advance can go a long way.
Cat converters can sometimes melt over and cause issues as well.
Afm clean.
A proper injector clean remove them and have them usltrasonically cleaned flow matched.
Probably a lot of other issues but all i can think of to ramble on with atm lol

Mike Oxgood
16th April 2012, 08:35 PM
Hiclone = snake Oil.

Best thing I ever got was a scangauge11 which work on the CRD. I believe there is a similar device that works on earlier Patrols. It's all in the right foot.

nissannewby
16th April 2012, 09:46 PM
There is no point in a hiclone on a turbo as the air turbulence changes after going through the turbo most engines design your combustion chamber to help with swirl to get a good mix/burn the best thing for fuel consumption is a light foot small cube motors and not driving. Regular servicing and freeing up a restricted motor go a long way air intake and exhaust are the biggest factors here.

Robo
19th April 2012, 02:53 AM

X2 that. and magnets also waste of money same principles apply.
would be oem if it was that simple.
How in the heck could hiclone affect this, it creates turbulence before the air filter.
It's something that interfears with volume and flow of air in take system.
design is that good these days, flow and the ability of cc's, is factored into the shape/design of head.
some turbulance may be required depending on the shape of combustion chamber.
but you will find only something as close as the valves area could possibly affect the chamber to aid mixture.

If Im wrong someone please explain it.

Silver
19th April 2012, 03:00 AM
Any other Mythbusters fans?

In one of their episodes they demonstrated that driver attitude, mood, and smooooothness or lack thereof can make a big difference.

Robo
19th April 2012, 04:10 AM
The case that got people talking was the simple fact these things where probably being fitted to a car after a major service.
and the claim was made.
the hiclone did it see they do work.
Yeah right and I've got the winning lotto numbers for next draw to.

macca
19th April 2012, 07:32 AM
I have not got one of these snake oil devices, to me logic eliminates the hiclone as the turbo swirls the air as previously stated (it may well spool faster, I would need proof), the intercooler probably straightens it out again.
Then the air rushing past the inlet valve would stir it up again, and as others have said the head combustion chamber design will look after the rest.. and surely they block air flow in the induction system.

A few years back a bloke was flogging a device to put in the fuel line, it had tin (I think) pellets that rubbed against each other as the engine/car shook/moved during normal use.
It added tin to the fuel which was supposed to help with effeiciency etc.
He said it was used during the 2nd World War on fighter aircraft as fuel was lacking something ("low grade Russian fuel")in those days and this helped control temps, economy and power.
Another snake oil product? With magnets and Hiclones are they a snow job or do they work?

Found a web page;
http://www.fuelmate.com.au/
It has magnets as well...

97_gq_lwb
19th April 2012, 07:54 AM
Heres a few more lol indexing the spark plugs
And read up on swirl affect .

macca
19th April 2012, 10:32 AM
Heres a few more lol indexing the spark plugs

aah S ? Maybe

97_gq_lwb
19th April 2012, 10:46 AM
aah S ? Maybe

GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS
http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Spark_Plug_Indexing

Robo
21st April 2012, 11:43 AM
Remember hearing some other snake oil device.
sorry to say Peter device that made 05 win Bathurst.
that's right It was a rock on the dash.

Can't wait till next year.
kick ass time.
You watch, rules will be set (car of the future) so we don't qualify to win the race or championship.

twisty
21st April 2012, 12:01 PM
sorry to say Peter device that made 05 win Bathurst.
that's right It was a rock on the dash.

Didn't help Dick Johnson ...

Robo
21st April 2012, 12:15 PM
I said sorry.
out of respect for the man.
snake oil devices was the original topic.
who was caught putting their competitors parts on their own car.
I wonder, we can go all day lol.
all good fun

97_gq_lwb
21st April 2012, 12:18 PM
The only winners at bathurst are ford and holden the whole race is designed to fool the public into thinking they aren't some sort of prehistoric crap pile.
They should just call it snake oil mountain.
Or the V8 snake oil championship lol.

Robo
21st April 2012, 12:21 PM
X2.
Hence trying to bring fans back with the "car of the future" to keep the dinosaurs in the money and spot light

Robo
21st April 2012, 12:23 PM
Did we just start a whole new topic. LOL

twisty
21st April 2012, 02:22 PM
Did we just start a whole new topic. LOL

Na ... seems logical to me. Fuel saving devices - snake oil - Peter Brock - Rock - Dick Johnson. So, a rock is as good as any fuel saving device that isn't already installed by the manufacturer. The rock did help Dick save fuel though!

macca
21st April 2012, 02:54 PM
GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS
http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/Spark_Plug_Indexing

Man that is incredible, got to have patience to do that.
Cheers Macca

TimE
21st April 2012, 03:48 PM
Have a look at this site (http://www.fuelsaving.info/debunk.htm). There is lots of info about things that don't work.

My favorite fuel saving idea is to stick a big magnet above the loud pedal, but it only works when you wear your steel capped boots :1092: