PDA

View Full Version : Expected life of GU clutch

Wizard52
27th October 2011, 03:32 PM
Hi all

Just off the phone to "Nissan Customer Care" without much help.
My 2006 GU coil cab (with extended 6yr warranty) has only done 133k easy driving and just replaced clutch after much slipping on last trip up the beach. Never had clutch problems before in any vehicle 2 and 4WD so presume it is not my driving style-don't ride clutch and generally careful.
Dealer & Nissan say "normal wear and tear" which I just don't believe as I am still on original brake pads and 1st set of 5 tyres lasted 120k. Next year have a couple of big trips planned.
New clutch feels very different to old one.
Any suggestions on why clutch only lasted such a short time and how to get Nissan to come to party on warranty?

DX grunt
27th October 2011, 05:13 PM
Ring again and hopefully you will get somebody else that is more sympathetic.

Hope all goes well.

Rossco

pearcey
27th October 2011, 09:24 PM
G,day Wizard52
Have known 4.2s diesels to slip in third and fourth if pushed hard as in passing. We found that the standard clamp up pressure was too low. Fitted pressure plate with a clamp up pressure of 750 pounds fixed the problem.Make sure that the flywheel is machined and a new fork and thrust bearing are fitted.There is a clutch plate with extra heavy duty springs wihch stop the clutch rattle at idle This rattle is very common in diesels.My 4.2 petrol Maverick is still on the original clutch after 300,000 K 80% off road 40% of that towing a camper or 1800kg
caravan.Mind you I never get more than 50.000k out of a set of tyres be they Bridgestone ,Yokaharmas or BF Goodrich.I do remove them with at least 25% left as its cheaper to drive than walk when your 700k from help.

-ET 4wd-
5th November 2011, 11:09 PM
should last ages if they are not thrashed.
My dad's Mav has over 520k ( 88 model) on the clock and is still on the original clutch, although it is starting to slip now.
I would go Xtreme 1250lb pressure plate with organic clutch plate, had that set-up in my race GQ when it was still a 4.2 petty and that was ace! no real extra weight to the pedal but the grab was fantastic and it never looked like slippin it was that good the pressure plate is still in my shed should i ever need it for me GU!

Steve.

Wizard52
7th November 2011, 04:31 PM
Further to above problems- just returned after 2nd trip to Hervey Bay approx 550klm each trip and new clutch is slipping although not as bad.

Off to dealer tomorrow so will update when sorted one way or the other

macca
7th November 2011, 04:46 PM
Mate thats no good, hope you get a good result
Macca

patrol2.8
12th November 2011, 09:27 PM
My 2008 dx work ute clutch only lasted 68,000 but the average week for this ute is either a small excavator,600ltr spray tank ,900ltr water cart or a large tandem also has up to 40 bags of cement and 80ltrs of water in drums daily in the tub clutch was handling it all well untill i had a work accident and had to let one of the other guys drive it for a week unfortunatly this idot drives with his foot resting on the clutch and he didnt bother to report left that for me to explain any way the new clutches that nissan fit iare way different to what was in it the old clutch had a nice firm feel to it and the new one is just to soft just cant feel any pressure in it and it was slipping again by the time the ute was due for its 70,000 service