PDA

View Full Version : draining sub tank into main tank?

sr06
18th October 2011, 07:18 PM
hay only just bought my patrol 2 weeks ago and wanted to see how many km's i could get out of a tank but now i'm not 100% sure how to drain the sub tank into the main tank. do you turn the sub tank on while the engine is running or not?

DX grunt
18th October 2011, 07:38 PM
Turn the sub tank on and it SLOWLY & EVENTUALLY drains to the main tank. I personally do this while I'm travelling along, as it seems to take forever.

I always like to keep 'fresh fuel' in both tanks.

I'm pretty sure it only transfers when the engine's running.

Hope this helps, and I stand to be corrected if necessary.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Maxhead
18th October 2011, 07:40 PM
Agree with Rossco, takes forever

and yes while you're driving or when acc is on

sr06
18th October 2011, 10:23 PM
thanks guy's i thought you just switched between the 2 tanks like in the cruiser (bloody toyota drivers haha) thanks again

the evil twin
18th October 2011, 11:37 PM
thanks guy's i thought you just switched between the 2 tanks like in the cruiser (bloody toyota drivers haha) thanks again

Nah mate, the Patrol's simply have a transfer pump that puts the fuel into the main.

Couple of things to know...
If there is fuel in teh sub the system does a short self test each time you start so the subby will eventually empty itself into the main without you initiating it.
If it fails this self test it will illuminate the Sub Tank warning light on the dash to tell you the fuel is "unavailable"
To actually transfer fuel from the sub the main needs to be well below 3/4 full on the gauge (this varies from vehicle to vehicle).
The light in the sub tank switch will stay illuminated while fuel is transfering but the sub tank computer will switch off the pump (and the light) above 3/4's in the main so it doesn't hurt to try the switch again after you use a bit more fuel to get the last out of the subby (unless the main was very low initially).
The transfer rate is around 1 to 1 1/2 LPM so it takes about 20 to 30 minutes or so to transfer a full standard subby to the main.

DX grunt
19th October 2011, 02:01 AM
I know ET personally, and he's a closet Cruizer driver in his 'spare' time. lol.

Thanks, ET, for more words of knowledge.

sr06
21st October 2011, 11:39 AM
hay thanks i let the main tank drain right to empty and thought if i hit the sub tank fast enough (like in the cruiser) it would just change tank lol it didn't work so i spent 15min on the side of the road b#%!hing about nissian's not thinking it was the stupid toyota driver lol

aaron
25th October 2011, 08:22 PM
hahaha funny yer mine takes bout 20-30 min to transfer to main best to do befor you get to low as you now know...
GO THE PATROL

sr06
26th October 2011, 09:13 PM
haha loving the trol started the mods already have a look at the build up any input is welcome and thanks again for the help