PDA

View Full Version : MK Project Restart

JetD72
18th October 2011, 08:06 AM
First of all my apologies to everyone for being away from the forum for so long.

After the big repair in March (exhaust manifold etc), and the fabulous help I received with the auto hub, the truck has been standing still - kaput! :-(

If I pour water in de cooling system it leaks straight out again! (with or without engine running)!

I have totally lacked funds to get it repaired, but I am ready to have her rock & roll again!

IMHO 3 things need to happen:
1. Recharge the battery cos otherwise she is not going anywhere
2. Have the cooling/water problem repaired.
3. Have new gearbox mounts fixed.

Q: does anyone have/know gearbox mounts for me that I can buy of you?
And: can I drive to the garage (30 min) without any cooling water in the system? Any ideas how I get there or have it fixed otherwise? (other garage close by Albion, instead of Andrew in Capalaba).

I hope you want to jump back in supporting me with getting the Red Devil going strong
again. I still love her!

Henriette

Bigrig
18th October 2011, 08:28 AM
First of all my apologies to everyone for being away from the forum for so long.

After the big repair in March (exhaust manifold etc), and the fabulous help I received with the auto hub, the truck has been standing still - kaput! :-(

If I pour water in de cooling system it leaks straight out again! (with or without engine running)!

I have totally lacked funds to get it repaired, but I am ready to have her rock & roll again!

IMHO 3 things need to happen:
1. Recharge the battery cos otherwise she is not going anywhere
2. Have the cooling/water problem repaired.
3. Have new gearbox mounts fixed.

Q: does anyone have/know gearbox mounts for me that I can buy of you?
And: can I drive to the garage (30 min) without any cooling water in the system? Any ideas how I get there or have it fixed otherwise? (other garage close by Albion, instead of Andrew in Capalaba).

I hope you want to jump back in supporting me with getting the Red Devil going strong
again. I still love her!

Henriette

Hey hey!!!! Welcome back!!!! I was a bit worried that you were put off forever post the last attempted repair - Derek felt as though you thought the cooling system was due to his efforts (he felt bad also), but it was one of those 'bad timing'
things!!

Definitely don't drive across town with no water in the system - does it hold water at all?? If so, fill it, and take a large bottle with you to fill again on the way if you need to. Depending on when you are looking at doing it, I can come across and drive the stretch with you to make sure you make it - tow you if necessary if things start heating up big time. Depending on what it is though (radiator? Water pump? Lines? Etc) it might be worth having one of the local north side members have a quick gander at it for you, as collectively we may be able to resolve/repair it and save you money.

Finly and Cory (MQMad) may have mounts they can offload to you and we can sort those also ...

Glad you're back, and we'll help out however we can!

Finly Owner
18th October 2011, 11:12 PM
Bloody Hell Henriette i thought you had cut and run away on me. I may have a mount or two for you. You know I just love your ol' girl to bits!

Tim

JetD72
19th October 2011, 12:23 PM
Tim, Scott,

Good to hear from you!
Tim, mounts much appreciated. You know which ones I need right? Are they all the same regardless of model/engine etc.?
The shaking from stand still is really bad now. Remember the slipping in first gear? So....what came first: the breaking of the mounts which made it worse, or are the mounts broken because it is shaking so badly? I can only try out by having the garage put new ones on. Let's do that first before replacing the whole clutch!! (I can live with a little bit of slipping....)

The mounts were already replaced up the top of Cape York once. Imagine the trouble to get a left and a right one. We ended up flying 2 in....2 left (or right ones), and they welded one to fit.

The coolant/water leaking problem...don't know about that one. Can somebody from the (inner)north side maybe judge if I can drive to the garage with it? (30-40 min away, yes, happy to go to Derek in Capalaba). When I pour water in, it comes straight out. Not holding anything it seems. Independent of whether the engine is running or not (it seems). No idea whether it is a hose or leak, or maybe the waterpump? Lets hope not the waterpump, because then I am in for replacing that too.....

Anyway, wanna do something this Saturday.....preferably get her to the garage! (Tim, I could pick up the mounts in other car, over the weekend or the next?)
cheers guys, let's get this project underway again!

growler2058
19th October 2011, 12:50 PM
I would definately NOT drive it if its not holding water which is clearly the case. You will stuff the engine trying to drive without water

Finly Owner
20th October 2011, 11:24 PM
Tim, Scott,

Good to hear from you!
Tim, mounts much appreciated. You know which ones I need right? Are they all the same regardless of model/engine etc.?
The shaking from stand still is really bad now. Remember the slipping in first gear? So....what came first: the breaking of the mounts which made it worse, or are the mounts broken because it is shaking so badly? I can only try out by having the garage put new ones on. Let's do that first before replacing the whole clutch!! (I can live with a little bit of slipping....)

The mounts were already replaced up the top of Cape York once. Imagine the trouble to get a left and a right one. We ended up flying 2 in....2 left (or right ones), and they welded one to fit.

The coolant/water leaking problem...don't know about that one. Can somebody from the (inner)north side maybe judge if I can drive to the garage with it? (30-40 min away, yes, happy to go to Derek in Capalaba). When I pour water in, it comes straight out. Not holding anything it seems. Independent of whether the engine is running or not (it seems). No idea whether it is a hose or leak, or maybe the waterpump? Lets hope not the waterpump, because then I am in for replacing that too.....

Anyway, wanna do something this Saturday.....preferably get her to the garage! (Tim, I could pick up the mounts in other car, over the weekend or the next?)
cheers guys, let's get this project underway again!Ok will look for mounts on weekend. Call me.

MQ MAD
22nd October 2011, 07:31 PM
DO NOT drive it any distance IF its not holding water, youll crack the head or blow the head gasket in no time
(can cost a pritty packet)
Gearbox mounts arent they different left to right ???
(Not looking now too dark)
Ill be brissie northside next week, shoot me a PM,if nothin is done before then, i could swing buy and have a look at the prob for you

JetD72
29th October 2011, 03:04 PM
Ok. She is back in AutoArt Capalaba hospital. Derek came around to diagnose her and we decided to give it a go and drive her to the garage. No problems at all. It seemed once driving that the water didn't leak out in such force as when engine off...did not heat up at all on the way :)

And after 7 months she just sounded perfect (and started perfect too with a recharged battery!)

Probably new water pump & gearbox mounts (how r u going with that Tim) and I'm back camping!

First task of project: completed.