PDA

View Full Version : timing belt - damage?

Radmobile
15th October 2011, 04:11 PM
hey guys, ive just inherrited a patrol that wont run. further inspection a dead timing belt tensioner bearing and slipped timing.

the crank turns and the cam shaft turns however im wondering if this is the extent of damage or do u think the valves might be bent or worse... :S

should i just reasemble as is and se if she runs, if so then ill replace the cam after. im just thinking if i replace the camshaft now only to find more carnage. maybe i should just geta new motor... all your advice appreciated. thanks heaps

tony

the ferret
15th October 2011, 04:23 PM
Put it back together and time it, turn it by hand and see if all valves are doing the full travel and not sticking.
If the valves are all good (which I doubt) then it should fire up.
Remove glo plugs, this will make it easier to turn by hand.
Only start it if you are 100% sure it's timed spot on.
You may just be lucky.

Radmobile
15th October 2011, 11:03 PM
she STAAAARTED WOOHOOOOOOOO !!! :)

the ferret
16th October 2011, 12:26 AM
Good, now put a new timing belt, new tensioner and new idler in.
Do the bolt up to spec plus 10ftlbs, use loctite on the bolt, making sure the threads inside and on the bolt are very clean.
If you want a pic of the timing set up, pm me.
For the best service and price on genuine nissan parts, contact Nizzbits in the vendor section , trust me on this one, Gary will get the parts to your door.
Looking at the pic of the cam, I would replace it as they often snap at the back of the flange and your's looks as tho it has been stressed, going by the split.
You may be on a winner, hope so.
Cheers, the ferret.

Radmobile
16th October 2011, 08:38 AM
Fantastic mate thanks very much.

I've got some welders at work do u think it woulbe be worth giving it a hit around the outside of the crack?
Although I'm not sure if the heat might warp the cam.... Mmm my gut is saying maybe not.

the ferret
16th October 2011, 09:43 AM
I'd go with the gut mate.

Radmobile
16th October 2011, 12:32 PM
a mate came up with this. i rekon it looks pretty swanky :)

the ferret
16th October 2011, 12:37 PM
Heat shrink it on should be ok, worth a try mate.

Radmobile
16th October 2011, 01:35 PM
yep, we made it slightly undersize and slightly tapered, head it up and bashed it on. fingers xd n hope for the best i think.

onto the next problem! hehe. ill post some more pictures.