PDA

View Full Version : Strengthen 5 speed Automatic off a TB48DE

Brads4wdmad
14th October 2011, 09:17 PM
Hi all

Has anyone had there 5 speed Auto from a 4.8L Patrol Strengthened and have any details on what needs to be done

I called Wholesale Automatics (Melbourne) and the sales guy told me only the Valve body needs to be upgraded, Suggested a convertor lock up kit and a Transmission Temperature Guage Installed

I was in the Thought that other parts would be needed to be upgraded in the Transmission also when fitting a Turbo as In my reading on the forums the Auto is the weakest link

Any advice would be greatly Appreciated

Cheers
Brad

NissanGQ4.2
14th October 2011, 09:31 PM
Sorry don't have that auto gearbox, but have dealt with wholesale in the past month while doing a rebuild on my auto.

If you told them what yo were doing and that's all they said you needed then go for it, I would also recommend the temp gauge and convertor lock up kit as well.

Did you speak 2 Rodney the owner or just a sales guy?

NissanGQ4.2
14th October 2011, 09:41 PM
Just a link you might like 2 read, how much money do you have 2 spend!

http://www.par-engineering.com/sections/products/products.aspx?typeId=gearsets&manId=nissan&sectionId=14

Brads4wdmad
15th October 2011, 09:32 AM
Thankyou very much for the Info mate
Really Appreciate it

I spoke to Ashleigh so Im assuming it is a sales guy I was speaking to and he Quoted me drive in drive out $2255 for the Upgraded Valve Body, Lock up kit and the Temp gauge all fitted which I thought was good value hence why I was thinking more had to be done

I found this link also, http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=26865 and seems what he told me is all I have to do at this time to Strengthen the transmission before having the ASE Turbo Installed

Cheers mate

Chaz
15th October 2011, 11:01 AM
Hi Brad,

Generally improving line pressure and clutch clamping pressures through valve body modifications will add strength to the transmission, but there are other mods that we use to do for drag racing like fitting more clutches to the clutch packs and better clutch and band material. Also, a few alloy parts can be replaced with steel, like spool retainers etc.

Every different transmission usually has unique mods to improve or gain ultimate strength, for instance I use to build GM TH700R4 transmissions for use in big block Chevys and one common mod was to replace the 5 4th gear clutches with 9 clutches and remove all the wave washers in the clutch packs. Other mods like replacing srags with ones that have more elements than the originals if they are available.

I would get onto some of the better known USA transmission parts manufacturers like B&M, TransGo, Fairbanks etc and see what heavy duty parts they sell for the RE5 Jatco boxes.

Brads4wdmad
15th October 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Brad,

Generally improving line pressure and clutch clamping pressures through valve body modifications will add strength to the transmission, but there are other mods that we use to do for drag racing like fitting more clutches to the clutch packs and better clutch and band material. Also, a few alloy parts can be replaced with steel, like spool retainers etc.

Every different transmission usually has unique mods to improve or gain ultimate strength, for instance I use to build GM TH700R4 transmissions for use in big block Chevys and one common mod was to replace the 5 4th gear clutches with 9 clutches and remove all the wave washers in the clutch packs. Other mods like replacing srags with ones that have more elements than the originals if they are available.

I would get onto some of the better known USA transmission parts manufacturers like B&M, TransGo, Fairbanks etc and see what heavy duty parts they sell for the RE5 Jatco boxes.

Thanks for the Info there Chaz

So is the RE5 Jatco Box the TB48DE 5 speed auto Box?

My main concern is trying to protect the Transmission from Damage as by reading posts and info posted onto the Net seems to suggest the Auto Transmissions (5 Speed) are there weak point, and I have been Quoted so far just under $15000 for the ASE Turbo fully installed with 3 inch exhaust, 6 x 550cc Injectors and connectors, Halteck computer, wire computer and Tune and all labour and If I do go ahead with this I want to protect the Transmission as best as can be done......Without the Transmission ASE said they can do 240kw rear wheels safely with Transmission done they would set up to 300kw rear wheels with no engine Mods been done

Chaz
15th October 2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the Info there Chaz

So is the RE5 Jatco Box the TB48DE 5 speed auto Box?

My main concern is trying to protect the Transmission from Damage as by reading posts and info posted onto the Net seems to suggest the Auto Transmissions (5 Speed) are there weak point, and I have been Quoted so far just under $15000 for the ASE Turbo fully installed with 3 inch exhaust, 6 x 550cc Injectors and connectors, Halteck computer, wire computer and Tune and all labour and If I do go ahead with this I want to protect the Transmission as best as can be done......Without the Transmission ASE said they can do 240kw rear wheels safely with Transmission done they would set up to 300kw rear wheels with no engine Mods been done

Brad,

The TB48 uses the Jatco RE5R05A transmission. This transmission is also used in US sold Armada and Titan vehicles along with the V8 Infinity, so I would expect that there would be some pushing big power figures. Perhaps some of the UAE shops would have some details on heavy duty mods for them, but Wholesale Auto’s would be the first to try, being local.

MudRunnerTD
15th October 2011, 01:27 PM
Very High Quality Info from you Chaz, nice work mate

Chaz
15th October 2011, 01:50 PM

Thanks mate. I probably shouldn't comment on the 5 speed nissan boxes because I've had nothing to do with them. I did a lot of auto trans work in the 80's and 90's with respect to drag racing, but they were all hydraulicly controlled transmissions, not the electronic units. Apart from that, most of the principals are similar, so I hope it helps.

NissanGQ4.2
15th October 2011, 01:51 PM

X 2, thanks Chaz

Brads4wdmad
15th October 2011, 02:10 PM
Yes Thankyou so much Chaz....
Appreciate all your info and help

Brad

Claydos
26th April 2018, 09:29 AM
Hey Guy's,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but it's the most appropriate.

So I've come accross a rebuilt RE5 for a reasonable price. I want to do an auto conversion for my TD42 (S4) my question is, is the RE5 auto suitable to bolt behind a TD42, I know they are bolted behind TB48's and the make more power, but I am just wondering if they can handle how the TD makes it's power? The TD is standard but it won't stay that way, but it won't be a race engine either.

Also wondering if there is anything I need to get them running behind a TD42ti?

Thanks, Clay

GQtdauto
26th April 2018, 01:37 PM
They did make a TD 4.2 with an auto I have one it's a 94 model ,asides from a torque lock and temp gauge it's stock and goes like a rocket .
The autos are built bloody strong so should be ok ,I have been abusing mine for years .
You will need the computer and wiring but have no idea about bellhousing fitup .

the evil twin
26th April 2018, 01:48 PM
If you want to stay electronic you will need the TCU reprogrammed for TD42 torque curve and RPM, all appropriate sensor inputs etc
or
You could go for an aftermarket Tranny Controller

Alternatively you could go for a full manual valve body.

Not exactly in my realms of experience so can't comment much more than that

mudski
26th April 2018, 05:02 PM
wholesale autos do a drive in drive out kit for circa 20k. Its a modified 5spd from a TB48 with all the fruit to suit TD's. I'd love to have this in mine but not at their price tag.

Claydos
26th April 2018, 06:23 PM
Hey Guy's,

Yeah I know about Wholesales prices... hence trying to go this way. I also know about the RE4 option and thats what I was going to do if I couldn't find a good RE5 option.

I am going to be getting everything I can think of, if I go this route, so loom, computer, shifter etc, everything except the pedal as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a list of what I do actually need?

Also, not interested in a manualised Auto.

Thanks again, Clay

I am interested to know who I can get the TCU reprogramed through? Also what other sensors etc I would need?

mudski
26th April 2018, 08:38 PM
Hey Guy's,

Yeah I know about Wholesales prices... hence trying to go this way. I also know about the RE4 option and thats what I was going to do if I couldn't find a good RE5 option.

I am going to be getting everything I can think of, if I go this route, so loom, computer, shifter etc, everything except the pedal as far as I can tell. Does anyone have a list of what I do actually need?

Also, not interested in a manualised Auto.

Thanks again, Clay

I am interested to know who I can get the TCU reprogramed through? Also what other sensors etc I would need?

Wholesale automatics would be the best people to talk too for TCU reprogramming. They do this stuff day in day out.

jff45
27th April 2018, 08:20 AM
Most, if not all, aftermarket TCUs for the RE4R03A are user programmable. I don't know anything about the RE5 but it's not needed with the TD42 torque.

I run a RE4 from a TB45E behind a 140 rwkw TD42T. I control it with the TB45E ECU and a ZD30 TCU and it drives perfectly for my requirements. I tow a 2.5t caravan with ease.
It does have the Wholesale Autos Nomad valve body but the stock TB45E torque converter.

The only sensors you'll need will be vehicle speed, engine speed and TPS. The signals can all be captured from the TD42Ti ECU loom.

Claydos
27th April 2018, 10:32 PM
Thanks heaps John