PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Defects and our Friends in Blue

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 11:31 PM
Well, well, well ... it was bound to happen at some stage I guess. Had a patrol car follow me yesterday morning for about 2 klms before flashing the lights and pulling me over. Reason? No mud flaps on the rear!! I asked the bloke (who by the way was a seriously decent copper, so full credit to him) what the specs are for mudflaps and he seriously rattled them off!! 300mm from the ground, set back 'X' from the top of tyre, and meeting the exterior flare covering the tyres BUT truth be told, nothing on meeting the inside running edge of the tyre - no requirement in that space other than common sense and logic!!!

Sooooo ... I also risked the long arm of the law and subsequently went out of my way to ask him if there was anything else I should look into that he could see as I was doing the mods myself and didn't want to run foul of the local constabulary ... his response ... " no mate, it's a nice truck"!!!! This was a fairly risky approach considering all the garbage going around about modifications etc.

This reaffirms my belief in a few things:

1. There are still a lot of genuine coppers out there who want to assist people 'meet' the law rather than just hit a quota.
2. Police are real people who, just like us, actually appreciate the effort that people put into modifying their trucks.
3. They couldn't care (at the moment - I appreciate that) whether it's a 2, 3, 4 or otherwise inch lift so long as it's not ridiculous.
4. They couldn't care if you have 29's, 31's, 33's etc as tyres so long again as it's not ridiculous.
5. They couldn't care about front and rear modification to bars etc so long as it 'appears' sound and roadworthy.
6. They are not there to 'inspect' vehicles as such if they don't pose an apparent 'risk' to other road users - I say this because I seriously thought he could potentially start going through it like a dose of salts, but was decent enough to have a look at the obvious, point out what he saw as 'issues' and subsequently give me the chance to rectify it.

I avoided a $100 fine and 1 point off the licence ... but I didn't take it lightly and bought a set of rear mud flaps yesterday and am fitting them this weekend when I figure out how/where to hang them ...

Long story short - my experience of being pulled up for mechanical defect didn't in any way reflect the current propaganda going around that the boys in blue are hell bent on bringing down fourbie owners with serious mods, so long as you don't venture on the side of ridiculous when it comes to modifications ...

Finly Owner
13th October 2011, 11:53 PM
As i was saying before, without turning this down any particular path, we should find the reason behind scare mongering, before setting of on protest against a cause that's not there!

And Scott, may I suggest an aluminium plate along the top of the mudflap attached to a lge piano hinge, the othe side may attach to the underfloor. A chain going back to stop the flap from being pushed into the tyre when reversing. Anyway just a start of a thought process.

Tim

patch697
13th October 2011, 11:59 PM
How very interesting Bigus...............

That should put a few myths to bed well & truly.

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 11:59 PM
As i was saying before, without turning this down any particular path, we should find the reason behind scare mongering, before setting of on protest against a cause that's not there!

And Scott, may I suggest an aluminium plate along the top of the mudflap attached to a lge piano hinge, the othe side may attach to the underfloor. A chain going back to stop the flap from being pushed into the tyre when reversing. Anyway just a start of a thought process.

Tim

Appreciate the thought, but not having seven inches of the rear quarter panel makes it somewhat more difficult than attaching piano hinge mate!! lmao ..

Thinking of mounting alloy angle (100mmx50mm) and hanging it from the bracing arms on the tube bar I made ... I'll figure something out on the weekend over a couple of coldies!! lol

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:01 AM
How very interesting Bigus...............

That should put a few myths to bed well & truly.

Especially in QLD mate where it all appears doom and gloom according to the "press" ...

Finly Owner
14th October 2011, 12:02 AM
Appreciate the thought, but not having seven inches of the rear quarter panel makes it somewhat more difficult than attaching piano hinge mate!! lmao ..

Thinking of mounting alloy angle (100mmx50mm) and hanging it from the bracing arms on the tube bar I made ... I'll figure something out on the weekend over a couple of coldies!! lol
No doubt!!

frenzy
14th October 2011, 12:02 AM
Good one Scotty.

I've been pulled over before in my Charger... the reason? "Just wanted to have a look at your car mate" LOL! Phew!

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:07 AM
Good one Scotty.

I've been pulled over before in my Charger... the reason? "Just wanted to have a look at your car mate" LOL! Phew!

It's worrying when the flashing lights go on, but restores a bit of faith when thats the reason!

patch697
14th October 2011, 12:10 AM
Especially in QLD mate where it all appears doom and gloom according to the "press" ...

Its not much better down here old mate.

growler2058
14th October 2011, 12:12 AM
Well, well, well ... it was bound to happen at some stage I guess. Had a patrol car follow me yesterday morning for about 2 klms before flashing the lights and pulling me over. Reason? No mud flaps on the rear!! I asked the bloke (who by the way was a seriously decent copper, so full credit to him) what the specs are for mudflaps and he seriously rattled them off!! 300mm from the ground, set back 'X' from the top of tyre, and meeting the exterior flare covering the tyres BUT truth be told, nothing on meeting the inside running edge of the tyre - no requirement in that space other than common sense and logic!!!

Sooooo ... I also risked the long arm of the law and subsequently went out of my way to ask him if there was anything else I should look into that he could see as I was doing the mods myself and didn't want to run foul of the local constabulary ... his response ... " no mate, it's a nice truck"!!!! This was a fairly risky approach considering all the garbage going around about modifications etc.

This reaffirms my belief in a few things:

1. There are still a lot of genuine coppers out there who want to assist people 'meet' the law rather than just hit a quota.
2. Police are real people who, just like us, actually appreciate the effort that people put into modifying their trucks.
3. They couldn't care (at the moment - I appreciate that) whether it's a 2, 3, 4 or otherwise inch lift so long as it's not ridiculous.
4. They couldn't care if you have 29's, 31's, 33's etc as tyres so long again as it's not ridiculous.
5. They couldn't care about front and rear modification to bars etc so long as it 'appears' sound and roadworthy.
6. They are not there to 'inspect' vehicles as such if they don't pose an apparent 'risk' to other road users - I say this because I seriously thought he could potentially start going through it like a dose of salts, but was decent enough to have a look at the obvious, point out what he saw as 'issues' and subsequently give me the chance to rectify it.

I avoided a $100 fine and 1 point off the licence ... but I didn't take it lightly and bought a set of rear mud flaps yesterday and am fitting them this weekend when I figure out how/where to hang them ...

Long story short - my experience of being pulled up for mechanical defect didn't in any way reflect the current propaganda going around that the boys in blue are hell bent on bringing down fourbie owners with serious mods, so long as you don't venture on the side of ridiculous when it comes to modifications ...

Shoulda smoked it up for him hahahahahaa

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:17 AM
Shoulda smoked it up for him hahahahahaa

Luckily I didn't punch the throttle whilst he was behind me ... not sure the blow off valve would have been to his liking!!! But that is getting plumbed into the airbox also in the coming few days to ensure I don't attract "unnecessary" attention!!

Silver
14th October 2011, 12:17 AM
there is a great post on here, from Forced Off Road in April this year about removable rear flaps for GQs that like Tank have had the quarter panel chop. Its in the Body etc section I found it again searching on mud flap - dunno how to put the link here

Good news you met someone with a bit of balance.

I have heard that Transport can take a different approach, but have yet to meet one.

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:22 AM
there is a great post on here, or on the 'other' forum about removable rear flaps for GQs that like Tank have had the quarter panel chop.

Good news you met someone with a bit of balance.

I have heard that Transport can take a different approach, but have yet to meet one.

Yep, seen the one I think you're talking about - the slide on ones that go over a short length of square tube!? That'll be on the agenda depending on how much I consume and what other amazing ideas I come up with!!! lmfao

Silver
14th October 2011, 12:23 AM
Yep, seen the one I think you're talking about - the slide on ones that go over a short length of square tube!? That'll be on the agenda depending on how much I consume and what other amazing ideas I come up with!!! lmfao

yeah, here's the shortcut, not as silly as I thought I was, it's just the way I dress me.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3821-Removable-Mud-Flaps-GQ&highlight=flap

patch697
14th October 2011, 12:24 AM

Best you don't forget the piccies old mate........ You know you'll never hear the end of it if you do........................hahahahahah

patch697
14th October 2011, 12:25 AM
yeah, here's the shortcut, not as silly as I thought I was, it's just the way I dress me.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3821-Removable-Mud-Flaps-GQ&highlight=flap

hahahahaha............. Funny bugger................hahahahahaha

Silver
14th October 2011, 12:26 AM

get those Guiness Nitro cans, or Caffrey's or whatever. they are a bit taller/longer than ordinary cans, but then again you said he said how close the flaps come to the centre is not an issue..... Consume contents of all but two. Cable tie in a vertical stack, with the full one at the bottom to add weight, cable tie to body.........

Silver
14th October 2011, 12:27 AM
Luckily I didn't punch the throttle whilst he was behind me ... not sure the blow off valve would have been to his liking!!! But that is getting plumbed into the airbox also in the coming few days to ensure I don't attract "unnecessary" attention!!

you show a great deal of consideration, Scotty, to your fellow passengers, in having your blow off valve plumbed into the airbox. Is methane almost as good as Nitro? :-)

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:30 AM
you show a great deal of consideration, Scotty, to your fellow passengers, in having your blow off valve plumbed into the airbox. Is methane almost as good as Nitro? :-)

Nothing to do with consideration mate!! I just hate the sound of it!!! lmao ... love the turbo whistle, but the blow off sounds like a council bus ... not sexy at all ...

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:31 AM
Best you don't forget the piccies old mate........ You know you'll never hear the end of it if you do........................hahahahahah

Affirmative boss and will acquire photo intelligence of my lack of intelligence as ordered!!! lmao

patch697
14th October 2011, 12:33 AM
Nothing to do with consideration mate!! I just hate the sound of it!!! lmao ... love the turbo whistle, but the blow off sounds like a council bus ... not sexy at all ...

You big woos ................ hahahahahahahaha

It was bloody loud though............... My brother just about did poo the first time it let off a belch..........................hahahahahaha

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:34 AM
You big woos ................ hahahahahahahaha

It was bloody loud though............... My brother just about did poo the first time it let off a belch..........................hahahahahaha

You should see the pedestrians jump back from kerb when I thump it beside them!!!! lmfao ... like the worlds coming to an end!!!!!

growler2058
14th October 2011, 12:39 AM
You should see the pedestrians jump back from kerb when I thump it beside them!!!! lmfao ... like the worlds coming to an end!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHA Cmon a vid withn sound before you silence it mate....pleeeeeeeaseee funny as to hear a troll with a blow off poppin

patch697
14th October 2011, 12:39 AM

The best part is you can time it perfectly.....................hahahahahahahahaha

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 12:40 AM
HAHAHAHAHHAHA Cmon a vid withn sound before you silence it mate....pleeeeeeeaseee funny as to hear a troll with a blow off poppin

Done!! I'll get a vid up tomorrow as it gets plumbed on Monday.

patch697
14th October 2011, 12:41 AM

Oh...... This one don't pop mate.... You'd swear black & blue it was a 800hp skyline if you heard it..... No bullsh1t

gec
14th October 2011, 03:02 AM
Here is a link for a set of diy mud flaps that looks pretty good.

patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gq-y60-ford-maverick-11/perfect-mudflaps-flexi-flares-diy-66362

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT

DX grunt
14th October 2011, 07:50 AM

And I bet you're the sort of bloke who'd gun it through puddles next to the footpath or bus stop
and purposely soak every pedestrian within a 50m radius. LMAO

Shame on you, brother, shame. LOL

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 09:58 AM
And I bet you're the sort of bloke who'd gun it through puddles next to the footpath or bus stop
and purposely soak every pedestrian within a 50m radius. LMAO

Shame on you, brother, shame. LOL

Nahh ... not that nasty ... unless I'm feeling just a little 'evil' that day!!!