PDA

View Full Version : Seeking year to get reliable 3l engines with ABS

Mr Hill
13th October 2011, 10:39 PM
I've just joined this forum because I am looking for information specifically on the GU with the 3L engine. Some background - our well-maintained 1999 GU 2.8l TDi six manual struggled with our newish Jayco Swan outback (1150kgs plus clothes & water) on any hills on the recent bitumen trip Victoria to Lamington NP, in Qld. it also lacks ABS, airbags & stability software. Before the trip It just had injectors cleaned & pump timed etc, and dyno'd at 68kW peak to the back wheels, so it was about up to spec. I'm researching for a better GU (in manual) for over-60's driving abilities & for towing the Swan a few times per year. I understand early versions of the 3l 4cyl engine gave serious problems (oil cooling issues, blown pistons & wrecked blocks). If I was to seek a newer, secondhand GU 3l manual, I would want to buy no older than the year where they come with ABS and had sorted out the 3l engine's reliability. I don't have the budget for new or near new, nor to own the bigger diesel. So, what's the earliest year that would give me these improvements? Thanks-in-anticipation (my other car is a Citroen XM, 2.5l TDI 5-sp, & have done all work on it for 10 years so far)