PDA

View Full Version : Seeking information on 3l engine reliability & ABS

Mr Hill
13th October 2011, 09:47 PM
I've just joined because i am looking for informastion on the 3L GU model. Some background before my question - our 1999 GU 2.8l six struggled to pull the Jayco Swan outback on the recent bitumen trip Victoria to Lamington NP, in Qld. it also lacks ABS , airbags & stability software. Before the trip It just had the injectors cleaned, pump timed, and put out 68kW peak to the back wheels. I'm researching a better replacement for over-60's driving abilities & for towing the Swan around this country on hols. I understand the 3l 4cyl engine has given serious problems in early versions (oil cooling issues, blown pistons & blocks) - if I was to buy a newer, secondhand GU 3l manual, I would want to buy a year where they both have ABS and have sorted out the 3l engine issues. I don't have the budget for new or near new, nor to own one that has low fuel economy. What year would be the earliest to buy to get ABS and reliable 3l engines? Thanks-in-anticipation (my other car is a Citroen XM, 2.5l TDI 5-sp, & have done all work on it for 10 years so far)

Bigrig
13th October 2011, 10:04 PM
G'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs to be found on the forum, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it.

Someone will be along to assist mate no doubt - plenty of experience and knowledge on here, so I'm sure you'll be guided in the right direction.

Enjoy!

Finly Owner
13th October 2011, 10:19 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Mr Hill

Tim

wildgu6
13th October 2011, 10:22 PM
G'day buddy,
Great bunch around here mate, great advice, heaps of knowledge & experience and some great laughs too,
Try posting Q in mechanical section where the gurus lurk, good luck buddy,

Welcome aboard.Enjoy the ride

Cheers Pete

Mr Hill
13th October 2011, 10:45 PM
"Try posting Q in mechanical section where the gurus lurk, good luck buddy"

Have done so, thanks for the tip. IDH.

Dr Drift
14th October 2011, 12:30 AM
Welcome mate,

I am also newbie and there seems to be heaps off info here. I got a 08 crd and it tows very well for a 3lt 4cyl. I was blown away actually as i am towing above what is recommended atm... and she does extremely well...

Dr Drift...

growler2058
14th October 2011, 12:50 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta good mob here full of great info and advice

macca86
14th October 2011, 01:23 AM
03 and onwards is the magic year that they fixed the problems. A st model will have everything you want gu 3's and 4's

Dhuck
14th October 2011, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Clunk
14th October 2011, 02:32 PM
g'day mate and welcome aboard

Sir Roofy
14th October 2011, 03:09 PM
WELCOME ABOARD Mr HILL ENJOY YOUR STAY

03 ONWARDS WOULD BE THE GO,SHOP AROUND MATE TILL YOU FIND THE ONE

Maxhead
14th October 2011, 08:40 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

big_fletch
14th October 2011, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, always good to have another member aboard.. I personally think the 3ltr is a good motor and with an Exhaust and chip will pull your van around all day long.. If you do end up with a 3ltr i suggest also fitting NADS, boost and Pyro gauges
Have a read of this:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?89-Nissan-Patrol-Reference-Document

Fletcha

scotty83
14th October 2011, 09:26 PM
03 and onwards is the magic year that they fixed the problems. A st model will have everything you want gu 3's and 4's
it will need to be the ST-S or ST-L to get ABS. Mine is a 05 GUIV ST with no ABS :(. Great car though. Have recently done and exhaust upgrade. definite must 2.75 or 3in Mandrel Bent. different car after this.

timbar
15th October 2011, 03:10 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

macca
15th October 2011, 08:11 AM
G'day Mr
Welcome Patrol buddy, looking forward to photos from your "home tracks"
Macca

Alburypete
5th March 2012, 09:58 PM
Be the first thing i read when i can access after 25.