PDA

View Full Version : Question for all LPG / GAS user´s

Nordic
12th October 2011, 10:20 PM
Hi Guys,

i just wondering if some of u have a LPG setup (Dual Fuel) in the GQ Petrol (Carby´s) and have fitted a snorkel to it.

U guys have any problems with it, like Backfire...missfire...consumption!?!

Will be really happy for every kind of idea´s and experiences.

Will be great if u can post wich kind of gas system is fitted and maybe a photo of the snorkel setup!

Cheers
Oliver

Nordic
14th October 2011, 07:53 PM
No one???

Com on Guy´s---where the gas driver´s?

Cheers
Oliver

Bigrig
14th October 2011, 08:12 PM
I had dual duel mate, but EFI - even then they are prone to stalling, backfiring etc with a snorkel, but I believe the balance pipe usually sorts it (with a 1/8 hole in it near the airbox - don't know why, but stopped the stalling at speed that I experienced).

patch697
14th October 2011, 08:24 PM
I have a GQ TB42s mate but no snorkel as yet (its on its way though)

I run a imco "L" converter into a 300a mixer & it works well for me.

I get on average 17lts to the 100 on a trip & 20 to 22 around town. It'll creep up a little higher then that out 4x4ing but not much more.

I am a mechanic who cut he's teeth on this type of system (they are an old system BTW) & I have rebuilt & tweaked this one quite a bit to get it right but the figures speak for themselves.

I run a 118ltr WC tank in the back which as 100lts useable. last test I got 528ks & still drove into the servo under power (LPG) so im pretty happy.

I also run a 120ltr long range fuel tank under the drivers side but can't give mileage figures on that as I've never done them, but im tipping theirs 500+ k's in that as well so I should go the distance ....hahahaha

I've setup 2x snorkels on other patrols running the same gas system as mine & have had no problems with either & I should be able to get pics of one.... I'll see what I can do there & if all goes well I'll post them up for ya.

Cheers
Paul

Nordic
14th October 2011, 08:32 PM
Thats the way aha aha...i like it...thats the way!

Thanks Paul and BigRig...

More More....pls

Cheers
Oliver

patch697
14th October 2011, 08:50 PM
I had dual duel mate, but EFI - even then they are prone to stalling, backfiring etc with a snorkel, but I believe the balance pipe usually sorts it (with a 1/8 hole in it near the airbox - don't know why, but stopped the stalling at speed that I experienced).

The Balance pope equalizes the pressure in the converter coursed by the added air pressure created by a snorkel or similar cold air intake devise. this added pressure interrupts the signal to the converter from the mixer of amos ring which stalls the gas flow.

NewDan
16th October 2011, 08:02 PM
I have a GQ TB42e on gas, dont have a snorkel but its on cards in the near future, only had it for a couple of weeks and only stalled once, it was when I was idling with the aircon on ( It was a bugger to restart, took about 5 full min). Although it does go through rough running patches when it gets the second half of the LPG tank. Also interested to know peoples experiece with snorkels.

Nordic
17th October 2011, 10:37 PM
Yeah,

where is the experience? ;-)

Bigrig
17th October 2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Guys,

i just wondering if some of u have a LPG setup (Dual Fuel) in the GQ Petrol (Carby´s) and have fitted a snorkel to it.

U guys have any problems with it, like Backfire...missfire...consumption!?!

Will be really happy for every kind of idea´s and experiences.

Will be great if u can post wich kind of gas system is fitted and maybe a photo of the snorkel setup!

Cheers
Oliver

Not sure of my previous gas setup, but the new one is gas research ... I'll take some happy snaps tomorrow arvo an post them up (the air box, balance pipe with the little hole I was mentioning, etc).

taslucas
19th October 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi mate,

I have a 91 TB42 auto, carby, dual fuel (factory gas) with snorkel. The gas system and carby have been recently rebuilt. I have no backfires or misfires. sometimes it wants to stall when i let off the throttle and coast but only when its cold (up to 10 mins after starting).
I have heard people talk about running a hose from the air cleaner to minimise this (and your) problem, but not sure where they run the hose to.
Are you sure they backfire/misfire is due to the snorkel?
There are a few other threads that talk about the cause of these symptoms.

Goodluck mate,

Lucas

albi
20th October 2011, 09:06 PM
most of the time backfires are associated with ur ignition system
lpg is a hot dry fuel and must have a good spark sourse
check ur plugs and leads dissy cap and "points" most of the time people change the points and not the condensor so check that aswell !

chester
22nd October 2011, 07:55 PM
I have a balance pipe that goes from the air box to the back of the convertor.Also the snorkel top is facing backwards.The gas does'nt seem to like the ram effect.

nick4884
25th October 2011, 05:23 PM
I just bought my TB42 with dual fuel the other day. I haven't driven it enough to comment on consumption rates, but I did have the feeling that the engine even ran smoother on gas. Definitely worth doing if you'r going to be holding on to your car for a long time or you do a lot of travel.