PDA

View Full Version : EGTs too high after mods...what now?

DrHarry
12th October 2011, 05:39 PM
Hi guys. My 2008 CRD 3L is running EGTs of 600 when I am cruising at 100km/h towing a medium size trailer on the flat. With a head wind or on any slight incline, they want to head towards 700!

Around town temps are 200-300.

Boost with my adjustable valve sitting around 13 max.

Current mods include EGT block, 2.5" mandrel exhaust and diesel gas. I think the EGT block has made the biggest difference to this problem.

I know these temps are not really safe but at present the vehicle is useless as when I cross the Nullarbor or head to the hills I am very limited by the temps.

Is there a fundamental problem with my motor, or have the mods caused this and now I need to do more e.g. intercooler :-(

Thanks
Harry

big_fletch
12th October 2011, 05:56 PM
Hi guys. My 2008 CRD 3L is running EGTs of 600 when I am cruising at 100km/h towing a medium size trailer on the flat. With a head wind or on any slight incline, they want to head towards 700!

Around town temps are 200-300.

Boost with my adjustable valve sitting around 13 max.

Current mods include EGT block, 2.5" mandrel exhaust and diesel gas. I think the EGT block has made the biggest difference to this problem.

I know these temps are not really safe but at present the vehicle is useless as when I cross the Nullarbor or head to the hills I am very limited by the temps.

Is there a fundamental problem with my motor, or have the mods caused this and now I need to do more e.g. intercooler :-(

Thanks
Harry

G'day mate,

Personally i think that your peak boost is set a little low and about 15-16psi would be better.. Temps around town will stay the same however Highway temps should sit more around the 400 odd with the trailer.. Mine is a DI (not a CRD) and on the highway with no load my boost sits about 10-12 psi with temps about 270-300deg.. Maybe try this and see if it helps with your temps?

Fletcha

patch697
12th October 2011, 05:59 PM
You can go higher in your boost (15/16 psi is quite safe) & this should see a good reduction in your EGT's

DrHarry
12th October 2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that. Temps are definitely a little better with a bit more boost and I will push it up a bit. But previous experience tells me this will only lower the temps a smidge.

I will report back when I have tried that.

Harry

patch697
12th October 2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks for that. Temps are definitely a little better with a bit more boost and I will push it up a bit. But previous experience tells me this will only lower the temps a smidge.

I will report back when I have tried that.

Harry

That sounds a bit strange, I've seen a 4pound increase in boost pressure bring a EGT down by 100 to 150 degree under load.

Ben-e-boy
12th October 2011, 06:07 PM
gday

are you towing in 5th gear?? and have you had a dyno tune since modding it??

benny

big_fletch
12th October 2011, 06:25 PM
That sounds a bit strange, I've seen a 4pound increase in boost pressure bring a EGT down by 100 to 150 degree under load.

Yer ill second that, i saw about 400deg running about 8psi on highway at 100km/h.. Screwed boost up to 10-12 and temps dropped to about 270deg while still keeping fuel economy quite good

DrHarry
12th October 2011, 06:26 PM
I tow in 5th on the flat or down hill. Change to 4th if any hint of struggle/hill/headwind which does help keep the EGT at 600-620. But basically whatever I do I am struggling to get past 100-110km/h without passing 600 degrees.

No dyno tune ever done...what would they actually adjust when they do that? Adelaide seems a little short of places to get it done close to the city.

Thanks for your help with this guys...

Harry

DrHarry
16th October 2011, 12:19 PM
OK it seems you guys were right. I screwed my ASE boost controller right in and still couldn't get the boost past 13 (subsequently I have taken it apart and it is a bit oiled up so may be something was sticking). So I removed it altogether and plugged back the OME servo thingy. Unfortunately this allows the turbo to over boost quickly to 18, and 22 if I really give it some stick going up the freeway out of Adelaide.

HOWEVER, the EGTs are never passing 500.

So, back to my original problem of over boosting *sigh*. I assume some over boost is not as bad for the motor as the high EGTs? Maybe I need a "proper" Dawes valve.

Harry

bigG
16th October 2011, 02:19 PM
Dr Harry
The CRD ECU controls the issue of boosting mine never goes over 15psi and yes egt temp in a crd are higer than the Di model, don't worry about hitting 600 to 650 as I get these temps when I giving mine a hit on hills of into strong headwinds. The issue with high temps are if they stay high. Just hitting 600 for a short time is no problem at all, if it does not go down as quickly as you back off then you have a problem

regards

pearcey
24th October 2011, 08:57 PM
G,day Dr Harry.
You could try Detrac Diesel at 8 Quinlan Ave StMarys.Phone 82776299
These guys are very good by all reports, and have all the equiptment. They are also like Patrols.
Hope this is some help.
Pearcey

fat paddy
20th November 2011, 06:43 PM
So is everybody talking in degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius here?
I just fitted an EGT meter and a boost meter. These things are a driving hazzard as they are so interesting to watch. I am amazed how quickly the temp changes due to driver imput and terrain input.
What is the maxium safe operating EGT post turbo? I range between 400 and 700 degrees F and it settles to about 600 at 110Km/h.
The boost sits in the low teens at cruising speed but I can easily pop it up to 20 plus with a heavy right foot before the engine control detects the over boost and drops it instantly back to 10ish.
Engine mods are a D-Tronic, a catch can and a regularly cleaned AFM.

YNOT
20th November 2011, 06:56 PM
We're talking celsius. The safe maximum for post turbo temperatures is 500C with short bursts to 550C OK. Not sure what that is in fahrenheit.
20 Psi is too high for a standard turbo. Assuming you have a ZD30 you should be able to hold 16-17 Psi constantly under load with proper boost control, which should keep your EGT's to safe levels.

Tony

fat paddy
20th November 2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the quick reply.
The boost only gets to above 20 psi momentarily then heads south again.
Is a Dawes valve meant to sort this problem?
BTW 500 degrees C equals 932 degrees F, my EGT 2 inches after the turbo has not even approahed this. 550 degrees C equals 1022 degrees F.....that is some serious heat.
Cheers,
FP

YNOT
20th November 2011, 07:18 PM
Boost on the ZD30 is controlled by the computer. A dawes valve can be fitted a number of ways, one way it stops boost spikes but leaves the computer in charge, the other way when used in conjunction with a needle valve is full manual boost control.

If you think those temperatures are hot add 100C for pre turbo temps!

Tony

boots
21st November 2011, 10:57 AM
Question / clarification ? zd30 turbo max boost can be adjusted by the actuator stop screw , as to limit max boost ?

Skull
23rd November 2011, 12:11 AM
I am not familliar with your ASE controller. Had a quick read around other forums but not much on it. Do you have this taking the CPU control solinoid out of the equation or controlling the spool rate?