PDA

View Full Version : Realtime GPS / GSM / GPRS Tracker System YP312

AB
12th October 2011, 03:44 PM
Hi All,

Ive been approached by a company via a PM who sell things online in Australia and they have asked that I check out their gear and see what forum members may be interested in.

I have chosen an item off there to try out.

I ended up getting a GPS tracking system to try out. I am not sure whether it will work in remote outback of Australia but this will be handy for me for local areas as my misses is always worried, etc.

Could also be used to put under your teenagers car seat or to spy on someone..LMAO...JOKES!!!!

The reviews seem to be quite good from hunters and 4wders in the USA so I'll test it out and see how it goes and let you all know.

Actually a lot of hunters in the USA have put these on their hunting dogs to track them, etc....Not a bad idea actually!!!

As you know there is a catch to all this...LMAO....If i think It's a decent product then they can give us a good discount for any other members who would be keen to get one.

I'm pretty keen to try it out anyway so I will let you all know...

The link is here [/URL][URL="http://www.dinodirect.com/tracker-system-gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-system/%7Ep.191"]http://www.dinodirect.com/tracker-system-gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-system/~p.191 (http://www.dinodirect.com/tracker-system-gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-system.html#mycarttip)

http://p.lefux.com/61/20090924/A0795000LP/Realtime-GPS-GSM-GPRS-1039769-showa.jpg

Specifications:

Network: GSM/GPRS
Frequency Band: 850/900/1800/1900Mhz or 900/1800/1900Mhz
Chip: SIRF 3 chip
GSM/GPRS Module: Siemens MC55 or Siemens MC56
GPS Sensitivity: -159dBm
GPS Precision: 5m
Time for First Starting: Cold status 45s; Warm status 35s; hot status 1s
Car Charging Voltage: 12-24V input; 5V output
Handset Wall Charger Voltage: 110-220V input; 5V output
Battery: Chargeable changeable 3.7V 800mAh Li-ion battery
Standby Time: 48hours
Storage Temperature: -40°Cto +85°C
Operation Temperature: -20°Cto +55°C
Humidity: 5%--95% non-condensing

Features:

This GPS GSM tracker is based on GSM/GPRS network and GPS satellite positioning system to track the far-way object conveniently by short message, internet or PDA
This GPS tracker system can send GPS information on demand or periodically within a time frame
This GPS GSM tracker has a built-in mic and can be used as a "silent listener" without letting the carrier know that his/her conversation or activities are been listened
This GPS GSM tracker comes with detailed instructions on how to work with GPRS enabled SIM and setup internet monitoring (fixed IP only), so constant tracking information can be displayed on a detailed map
This GPS GSM tracker also supports other kinds of platform to track
This GPS GSM tracker can be used for preventing theft of vehicles, the protection for kids, old persons and pets, the management of personals, track secretly
Easy to find the position
No need to build special platform, checking directly by short message, internet, PDA
This GPS GSM tracker can take down the cost for the server and the customers
If the object enters the park underground or some other places with no signals, this GPS GSM tracker will report to you the last position tracked
Auto-tracking, set up an interval and the times, this GPS GSM tracker will report you the position information in that interval and the times
Adding/cancelling the authorized numbers
SOS and monitoring functions, when holding the GPS Tracker you can press alarm button to send alert, and your position to the registered phone numbers
You can dial into the GPS unit and simply listen to the sounds around the unit
Geo-fence, this GPS GSM tracker will alert if the tracker goes out the area set up
Overspeed limit, this GPS GSM tracker will send SMS to the authorized numbers if the object goes across the speed set up before
Low power alert
For auto tracking no need to send the new coordinates if the moving distance is less than 50 meters (to save the cost and the power)

Maxhead
12th October 2011, 05:40 PM
Hmmm, looks interesting but I think you're right, it won't work without phone reception to send messages, etc. In the outback It might know its position but I don't think it will be able to relay it to someone. Hope i'm wrong because it would be a great product otherwise.
May be someone from the company can have some input to questions and concerns.

The website stuff and prices look good and comparable

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2011, 06:25 PM
Hmmm, looks interesting but I think you're right, it won't work without phone reception to send messages, etc. In the outback It might know its position but I don't think it will be able to relay it to someone. Hope i'm wrong because it would be a great product otherwise.
May be someone from the company can have some input to questions and concerns.

The website stuff and prices look good and comparable

Buy an EPERB for that or your iPhone.

I'd be most interested in it for protecting my car from thieving buggers, soooo manner GQs have been stolen in the last year that it is a big fear. It looks to be a perfect system for that with the periodic tracking and the last know position if someone parks in up in a shed or underground you get it going in the door as the signal is lost. Perfect.

How Much? How big? Bulk price for 2?

Group buy if its as good as it reads

Line starts Here VVVVVVVVVV

Maxhead
12th October 2011, 06:38 PM
Buy an EPERB for that or your iPhone.

I'd be most interested in it for protecting my car from thieving buggers, soooo manner GQs have been stolen in the last year that it is a big fear. It looks to be a perfect system for that with the periodic tracking and the last know position if someone parks in up in a shed or underground you get it going in the door as the signal is lost. Perfect.

How Much? How big? Bulk price for 2?

Group buy if its as good as it reads

Line starts Here VVVVVVVVVV

Agree, Eperb would work if you needed help in the outback. iPhone, don't think do.

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of this device but if you need to be in range of phone reception to get your coordinates to someone, wouldn't you just ring them.

As an anti theft device, I have my insurance for that so if someone wants my vehicle...go for it, I'll just buy a new one. Not everyone's the same so it's cheap anti theft device I suppose.

Am I on the wrong track with the purpose for this device?

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2011, 06:58 PM
I read it to be more for tracking the car or device it is attached to. I think it is purely GPS tracking but has a phone function for messages out of it. As a panic device i think that is far better things on the market than this, ie. EPERB but as a security feature for the car it would be a winner.

I agree insurance is a good thing and my GUIV would be fine if it got stolen as i have agreed value and they agree the TD42Ti is worth a good penny but the GQ is a hole other storey.

My insurance would not come close to replacing the car, not even close, even with agreed value well above market value. I could not build it again for double the agreed value, I'll cop that but if some bugger pinches it and tries to strip it in his shed in Corio then this device will tell me where he parked it and i might have a chance of getting the +$20k worth of bolt ons that he will unbolt in the first night back too. Might even get to cause some pain........

That combined with my car insurance and i am on a winner.

snicko
12th October 2011, 07:03 PM
I looked into tracking devices when our son had his bike stolen.

I would never get back what I spent on my truck if it was stolen and didn't find any devices that would do the job I wanted and were VERY expensive or complicated.

I would be very interested AB what you think of this one.

Maxhead
12th October 2011, 08:05 PM
I read it to be more for tracking the car or device it is attached to. I think it is purely GPS tracking but has a phone function for messages out of it. As a panic device i think that is far better things on the market than this, ie. EPERB but as a security feature for the car it would be a winner.

I agree insurance is a good thing and my GUIV would be fine if it got stolen as i have agreed value and they agree the TD42Ti is worth a good penny but the GQ is a hole other storey.

My insurance would not come close to replacing the car, not even close, even with agreed value well above market value. I could not build it again for double the agreed value, I'll cop that but if some bugger pinches it and tries to strip it in his shed in Corio then this device will tell me where he parked it and i might have a chance of getting the +$20k worth of bolt ons that he will unbolt in the first night back too. Might even get to cause some pain........

That combined with my car insurance and i am on a winner.

Cool, an ant theft device it is. I wasn't 100% sure as the explanation wasn't so clear.

So, unless I'm incorrect again would this mean you would have to pay a monthly phone plan to be protected? Say $20 a month, this would make it $240/YEAR. Is that a good ?
Again, being a dumb arse, are there better options or is this a good product?

Remembering this wouldn't be 100% full proof

MudRunnerTD
12th October 2011, 08:37 PM
Cool, an ant theft device it is. I wasn't 100% sure as the explanation wasn't so clear.

So, unless I'm incorrect again would this mean you would have to pay a monthly phone plan to be protected? Say $20 a month, this would make it $240/YEAR. Is that a good ?
Again, being a dumb arse, are there better options or is this a good product?

Remembering this wouldn't be 100% full proof

And that there is the biggest problem with something like this. I am thinking that a 12month prepaid plan would be a winner and probably be much cheap than that. Hopefully..

Not a Dumb question at all mate, the hole thing is bloody frustrating actually, cant be that hard can it?????

We live in the 21st Century after all. It has been suggested on another forum that buying a cheap iPhone and putting it on the smallest plan and hiding in your car would be a winner, Maybe it would??

AB
12th October 2011, 09:28 PM
Security is a big yes from me.

I'm a gadget guy too so I will use it for gimmick plotting, seeing where I went in the day for fun and strapping to my wifes car when she mysteriously needs to "go the shops on Saturday night for icecream but never comes home with icecream"...LMAO.

You could use it for the emergency function if you were too injured to grab the phone, lost phone, phone dead, phone in bottom of mud pit, phone inbetween the bloody seat...lol etc but yeah I will take an educated guess and say you need phone reception for this thing to work which will not work in rural outback.

I'l let you all know how it goes.

AB
20th October 2011, 01:09 PM
Ok, I got the device....What a bucket of...lol...JOKES!

Below is a video I found off YouTube of what it looks like....Apologies for the goat music!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PqI_K3LwAk

You need a sim card to run this. I have done some investigation, you would want to have a Telstra sim card so you have the best possible range. Telstra has a pre-paid starter kit for only $2 (http://www.telstra.com.au/shop/Consumer/NGTSOProductDetailsView?catalogId=10101&storeId=10001&productId=85200&langId=-1&categoryId=16105&parent_category_rn=16105&top_category=&SMIDENTITY=NO).

Also, if you put $30 credit on the card then it last's 6 months and only costs 1c per SMS which is how the device works which is 3000 messages...Also it is free SMS between 6pm and midnight to other Telstra phones.

Basically you tell the tracker who is the admin phone number and other phone numbers you want added to the device to receive the data.

You basically sms the device with what commands you want and it replies to your phone or your computer with the GPS co-ordinates.

I'll get a sim card soon and get back to you all with more detail. I'm hoping that when you set your computer up to receive the GPS co-ordinates it automatically can be put into Google Earth otherwise you will need to cut and paste the data if you intend on using this device for tracking and plotting, etc...

You can tell the device to send you co-ordinates on the following...

send co-ordinates to any numbers/computers at anytime in any intervals.
You can dial the tracker and it will automatically put the microphone on so you can listen to the environment of where the tracker is...lol...SNEAKY!!!
Set up a GEO-FENCE so an alert SMS will be sent to your phone or computer if the device goes out side set co-ordinates and send you co-ordinates also in whatever intervals.....SNEAKY AGAIN!
Movement Alert - If the GPS moves at all an Alert gets sent out with co-ordinates each time the device stops for a minute, etc....This function is good!
Overspeed Alert - Pretty useless....Will send alert if the device goes over a set speed.
SOS - Has the emergency button to hold for 3 seconds which sends an alert to the nominated numbers and your co-ordinates. Continues to send every 5 minutes until receiver replies SMS.
Low battery alert

Seems to be an ok product for the price. I'm interested to see how you set this up to the computer to receive the data. Not sure how that will work but will let you all know.

It comes with 2 batteries too.

The only down side is that it does not come with a 12V charger only 240V which is no good but the plug looks pretty universal to most other devices so I'm sure someone can find a solution to that.

Security wise It's a great product, plotting and mapping your travels will depend on how user friendly extracting the data from your computer into Google Earth/Maps, etc so I will find out.

The simple way to us this device is just put a sim card in and ring the number and it will send an sms to the number with the co-ordinates too...Unless you put a restriction on it...

AB
20th October 2011, 01:11 PM
Also....DO NOT RELY ON THIS DEVICE IN REMOTE AREAS OF AUSTRALIA WHERE PHONE RECEPTION IS NON EXISTENT!

THIS REQUIRES PHONE RECEPTION FOR IT TO WORK.

MudRunnerTD
20th October 2011, 03:03 PM
Still sounds like a possibility for Security and anti theft. Really need it to be 12v though and then just hot wire it to your second battery.

Sort it out AB, any idea on price per unit mate?

AB
20th October 2011, 03:08 PM
I forgot to mention, it comes with two batteries and each battery lasts 48 hours.

I guess you could get an inverter to charge when you drive. It has one of those standard digital camera little sockets so I would assume you could find a 12V connection for it.

I'm asking them how much now and trying to get good price for members...I am sure they are wanting a further discount for a group buy...lol

Hang tight mate.

AB
22nd November 2011, 09:11 PM
Oops, sorry folks I completely forgot about this...

Well it turned out to be a disaster but the people at Dinodirect were very kind to refund me.

The device was not rated to 240V and I didn't even check it. When I plugged it in to charge up at the office after about an hour or so I noticed some slight smoke and the battery had started to swell inside the tracker and the tracker had pretty much boiled.

I was very lucky to not burn the office down as it needed 12 hours charging and I was about to go home and planned on leaving it for the night....Damn lucky!!!

Anyways, they refunded me and had another tracker on there which was more expensive but could also be wired direct to the car battery, etc but I decided not to go ahead with this.

MudRunnerTD
22nd November 2011, 10:30 PM
Damn! Lucky one mate. Was keen on one of these

AB
23rd November 2011, 03:56 PM
Damn! Lucky one mate. Was keen on one of these

Nearly blew my head off mate. I watched some Youtube videos of those lithium batteries exploding and I would have burnt either burnt this office to the ground or blew my eye brows back to my skull...LMAO