PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Fitting Glow Plug Timer Please

GlennWilliam
10th October 2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2000 ZD30 Patrol and I,m looking at installing a timer for the metal tip glow plugs i have installed.

Has anyone done this mod ? if so could you please give me some pointers on the best way to go about it.

I have looked at the wiring diagram for this mod and i'm not 100% sure witch wires i need to cut and run back to the timer .

I have the Jacar M113A timer but i also see on the wiring diagram there is a extra relay that i may need to get as well can anyone tell me what type it is and where i can get one?

Q: Is the small light green wire with black stripe at the glow plug relay is this the wire i need to run to the timer ?

I thought i might upload a few photos of the timer and glow plug relay as it may help with what I'm talking about with the wires on the glow plug relay and it may also help others who are thinking of doing this mod.

Timer was from Jacar - Type: Kemo M113A Timer $34.95

Thanks.

Glenn

GlennWilliam
10th October 2011, 08:18 PM
Here is the wiring diagram that i'm using.

Chaz
11th October 2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Glen,

Yes, it’s the thin green wire with the black stripe that you use to control the relay. I ran 3 small wires (trailer light cable) into the cab and mounted the timer and additional relay in the driver’s side foot well kick panel. Then pulled the Light green/black stripe wire off the factory glow relay and simply used quick connect spade terminals to connect two of the wires into the circuit. One went to the relay terminal where the green/black wire was and the other connected to the green/black stripe wire and insulated with tape. The third wire needed a special lug to piggy back off the white wire that went to the other side of the glow plug relay coil.

All the control wiring is then done inside the car between the timer and auxiliary relay. The ECU grounds the auxiliary relay instead of the glow relay and the timer then controls the glow relay.
After the ignition is switched on, the auxiliary relay sends a pulse to the timer to start the countdown. After it times out, it switches off the glow plug relay, but the ECU still sees and controls the auxiliary relay so there’s no fault code.

After some trial, I set mine to 30 seconds and although I still use ceramic plugs, there are no issues with cold starting or running.

GlennWilliam
11th October 2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Chaz,

Thanks for your help, This explains it a bit better for me before I attack it.

Q: Was the auxiliary relay you used anything special as far as number of pins or amps?

Thank again.

Glenn

Chaz
11th October 2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Glenn,

No, it's nothing special. I just used a basic Narva 30amp horn relay (normally open contacts), but it doesn't need to handle any serious current. It's only there to pulse (start) the timer and provide a small load for the ECU.

Cheers,

GlennWilliam
11th October 2011, 09:29 AM
Hi Glenn,

No, it's nothing special. I just used a basic Narva 30amp horn relay (normally open contacts), but it doesn't need to handle any serious current. It's only there to pulse (start) the timer and provide a small load for the ECU.

Cheers,

Thanks Chaz, Sounds good.

Glenn.