PDA

View Full Version : Proof of auto trans / temp problems

Nordic
10th October 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi guys,

my previous trans problem seems to be fixed, so i start to think about a few things to keep my transmission in working order ;-)

I allready read in a few post thats the temperature seems to be the main problem with our autos.

In my GQ is a small atf cooler installed, i think this is standard!?!
So what will be the best and a affordable (low budget) solution to bullet proof this auto´s????

Cheers
Oliver

NissanGQ4.2
10th October 2011, 08:34 PM
Read your other post re your prob, glad u got it sorted, Wish mine was that simple *L*

In regards 2 this post.....

Most readings I have seen in various places discussing auto temp problems the person posting doesn't even have a temp gauge telling them what the temp is................... so my view on the matter is:

1st. Run a gauge 2 show you what the temp is
2nd. If it runs above spec, work out what 2 do then.

my question 2 you. Does your auto trans temp run hot?????

Cheers

Todd

Nordic
10th October 2011, 08:47 PM
Hi Todd,

thanks mate...i´m glad too, very glad!

Yep, i thought about a gauge aswell, but i think (feel) that my auto got really hot in the last stucking traffic. Also i wanna tow a boat. So i think at some stage i have to do something.

Wich is the best way (budget vs. reasonable) to put a temp gauge in it?

cheers

Chaz
10th October 2011, 08:55 PM
Something like 90% of the heat generated in an auto trans comes from the torque converter, so it’s always a good idea to keep the converter locked as often as possible.
Some of us use manual converter locking systems that eliminate much of the potential heat. A good cooler is always worth having, but possible better to not produce the heat.

One of the problems is that the Nissan Jatco trans will run in overdrive without locking the converter. This will generate a lot of heat, so always best to tow or drive with heavier loads with overdrive off. If you have to idle for long periods, do it in neutral.

Checkout the Juland device, http://www.juland.com.au/documents/trans_locker_instr.pdf
Or consider fitting a manual system, particularly if you do some heavy towing.

Nordic
10th October 2011, 09:07 PM
Many thanks Chaz...

sorry for my stupid question....but what is a manual trans locker!

And are there any harmfull effects when installing a converter locker?

Chaz
10th October 2011, 11:37 PM
Oliver,
Your transmission uses a lock up torque converter that usually locks automatically in 3rd or 4th gear above 80km/h. Some people including myself like to fit a switch to lock it manually when we like to - not only when the transmission controller (TCM) does it. This has a few advantages, the main one being very little heat generated with the converter locked. Locking it manually, allows you to lock it at much lower speeds and keep it locked under load, where it normally unlocks.

The only danger is if it's locked under heavy or full throttle could damage the converter, so you need to back off the throttle slightly when locking it, but after that you can apply full throttle.

This is how I do it (http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Lockup%20Trans%20Switch.htm), but your GQ circuit would be slightly different.

Nordic
11th October 2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks Chaz,

i think slowly i gettin what u guy´s talking about.

I now wondering wich system will be the best to install and where to get the parts from (parts list? )

Just to make sure i understand it right...if i have the tc manualy locked i leave the shift leaver in "D" and use normal auto mode or i need to shift by hand!?!

Thanks
Oliver

Chaz
12th October 2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks Chaz,

i think slowly i gettin what u guy´s talking about.

I now wondering wich system will be the best to install and where to get the parts from (parts list? )

Just to make sure i understand it right...if i have the tc manualy locked i leave the shift leaver in "D" and use normal auto mode or i need to shift by hand!?!

Thanks
Oliver
No problem Oliver,

The parts list is basically just a few small SPDT relays and a switch to turn it on/off.

You can just leave it in “D”, but it will always be better to change gear manually because you’ll need to use a few more revs between gears due to the large drop in revs with the converter locked. Normally you would accelerate up to speed and then lock the converter at around 60km/h in 3rd. In your case with the GQ trans, it won’t lock in 1st and reverse like the GU, so you shouldn’t need the brake light relay to unlock it, but you should still fit the P/N safety feature if you decide to do it.

This mod improves fuel consumption, acceleration and engine braking along with keeping the transmission much cooler. If you decide to do it, also consider raising your line pressure slightly by replacing the dropping resistor with a 1K ohm 20W resistor, which will allow you to drive at lower speeds with the converter locked.

Nordic
12th October 2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks Chaz,

u really understand how to explain it that even me can get it ;-)

Thanks mate

boots
12th October 2011, 08:18 PM
Big thanks to Nordic and Chaz . This post has been very helpful . Although I dont have trans temp issues , the 3rd / 4th overdrive in my auto is
one issue that I would like to address in the future. As I get the auto seviced annually , this was a question I asked about and the auto mechanic
said sorry nothing they could do, and I live and work close to major freeways and travel 20 minutes each way , sometimes wont slot into 4th
until the last five minutes of the journey . - frustrating . .and costing me in fuel ...

Chaz
12th October 2011, 11:43 PM
Big thanks to Nordic and Chaz . This post has been very helpful . Although I dont have trans temp issues , the 3rd / 4th overdrive in my auto is
one issue that I would like to address in the future. As I get the auto seviced annually , this was a question I asked about and the auto mechanic
said sorry nothing they could do, and I live and work close to major freeways and travel 20 minutes each way , sometimes wont slot into 4th
until the last five minutes of the journey . - frustrating . .and costing me in fuel ...

Hi Boots,
The first thing that comes to mind is the temperature switch inside the transmission. If it doesn't come up to temperature, it won't go into 4th gear. This would most likely be a faulty temp switch unless for some strange reason your transmission isn't getting warm - unlikely. You could have the switch replaced or just bypass it and see if it goes straight into 4th when the engine is cold.

boots
14th October 2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for your advice Chaz , will look into it when I can . but it will be later rather than sooner . work commitments , etc , etc .