PDA

View Full Version : td42 motor

tony l
10th October 2011, 09:36 AM
are the td42 motors the same in the gq and the gu or will the early one fit the gu which gearbox fits ,and how much differance is the 3l diesel box

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2011, 02:13 PM
Hey Tony l, sorry mate you have 4 different questions there, i cant answer them all though. You'd be better to describe what you want to do though so we can answer in context of your plan maybe??

Fundamentally the TD42s are all the same, ie. all bolt up patterns will be ok (i think)

In about 1994, i think, Nissan changed the TD42 internals and the rocker cover from a Silver top to a Black top. The Silver top is a more robust engine with heavier internals and thicker bore walls and pistons i think. If your chasing one be to Turbo then the Silver top is the one you want. Nothing wrong with the black top engine though.

The GU TD42 is the same as the Black top. the GU TD42T is an upgraded engine similar to the original Silver top. To the point that you can buy two different rebuild kits for the turbo and non turbo engine.

But your question is kinda left field mate, sorry. re the 3lt box????Um? Are you looking to do a conversion to a dead ZD30 or something? if you are then have a look around there are a couple of quality threads on here are dealing directly with the pit falls of that conversion.

Cheers MR

tony l
10th October 2011, 03:49 PM
sorry i am trying to get too much info all at once. as adead 3l is common i am looking to see if the engine swop is viable ,and which ones were the best to play with ,like the early 80 series cruiser there were problems but fixed later, as i know little about the patrol i have a lot to learn thanks tony