PDA

View Full Version : lift kits - easy to install??????

belzi82
6th October 2011, 07:08 PM
HI All
I am thinking about getting a 2 inch lift kit (possibility old man emu). How easy are they to do? and what equipment would be needed??
Bel

Bigrig
6th October 2011, 08:48 PM
A good trolley jack, some body stands and some spanners. that's about it from memory bel.

From memory this is the procedure but happy to be corrected if I've forgotten anything:

Chocks in front and behind the front wheels. Jack the trol up under the rear diff until the wheels are about a foot off the ground. Put it on the stands making sure they are secure. Leave the trolley jack under the diff. Drop both rear shockers out (from memory the top of the left rear shock was a bit of a bugger to get at) then lower the trolley jack slowly (the axle drops with it) until the original springs come loose and can be removed. Drop the axle a bit further so you can put your 2" springs in, then jack the axle back up, install the new shocks and bob's your uncle. Just be careful with brakelines etc that you don't pull them when you drop the axle down. Front end is same procedure I think.

X2, but think you may need to drop both the panhards as you go (axle end) and steering arm in the front to get the required drop ... same goes, happy to be corrected, as I'm not sure with only a 2" lift (I had to drop mine away for a 5" lift).

belzi82
6th October 2011, 09:19 PM
Sounds very complicated for me!

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2011, 09:35 PM
X2, but think you may need to drop both the panhards as you go (axle end) and steering arm in the front to get the required drop ... same goes, happy to be corrected, as I'm not sure with only a 2" lift (I had to drop mine away for a 5" lift).

hmmmmm?? Nah i reckon you will only have to undo the sway bar?? you should be fine with the panards for a 2 inch spring. If you have any trouble though then that is were to look next.

Heads up on the Brake line. be aware of it hanging down from the body to the diff. it will be starting to stretch when the diff is dropped down but you should be fine.

Really really easy to install a 2 inch kit. Really really basic stuff, truly. dont be scare, dont be shy, you will be proud of yourself when your done for a long time.

Bigrig
6th October 2011, 09:46 PM
Ah yes, forgot that!

Haha .. me too - I don't have one!!!! lol

belzi82
6th October 2011, 09:53 PM
Scotty I didn't have to do that for my lift but not surprised you had to do it for a 5"!

Bel it's really simple actually. Have done it on my trol and the old man's jackaroo with this method.

Maybe you should put on a barbie and ask for helpers. (PS I like lamb chops and Carlton Draught!) pml!

I would love to throw a BBQ however I am not sure where we would all fit in my show box! I will see what I can work out and then there may be BBQ in Eastern Subs of Melb!!

belzi82
6th October 2011, 10:12 PM
No wukkas. But don't go paying someone $$$ to do it for you.
No I was orginally planning too and then thought nah I should give it a go but sounds like I am gonna need help! What brand would you recommend?

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2011, 10:40 PM
No I was orginally planning too and then thought nah I should give it a go but sounds like I am gonna need help! What brand would you recommend?

Hey Belzi, all ya need is a flat bit of concrete and i'd be happy to travel down the road with Plas and we'd have it done in a couple of hours tops. I'd even bring the tools needed to knock it over for you. If your up for driving to Lara (5 minutes from Avalon airport) we could find some space under my car port for a couple of hours, no dramas. Plas is not too far from here. What ever, easy as.

I'd be pointing you at Old Man Emu for a 2" lift as i dont think there is much better on the market for the price. It is well developed in Australia for Australian conditions, valved right for the GU and everything else on the market has been playing catchup for years. I have OME on my GU IV and LOVE IT!

my 2c

Clunk
7th October 2011, 03:22 AM
hey Bel, I'd go with MR's offer.............. much more satisfying to do it yourself with supervision than paying for it to be done............ and yes, it is easy. I ended up having to disconnect the swaybars and panhards (Ithink) and as other have said already, just becareful of your brake liines and also your diff breather pipe........ enjoy

Maxhead
7th October 2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah, go with the great offer Bel but if you want to do it yourself, then do it/ It is easy, even I was able to do it my self. and when it comes to vehicle work its like having two left hands for me :) Go for it

nowoolies
7th October 2011, 09:22 AM
you will most likely have to change your drag link for a adjustable one
as the steering ends up slightly to the right after the lift is done, you cant take off the steering wheel and move it around as the airbag will proberly go off lol
and thats expensive to have replaced
my drag link cost $245.00 the other day when i had my tyres fitted, and its much nicer to drive with the wheel straight

nowoolies
7th October 2011, 09:30 AM
Was that with a 2" lift wooly? My lift turned the steering wheel only slightly and not worth fixing. All steering geometry is still ok.

yes mate 2" OME lift the wheel on my bus was just enough to annoy the hell outta me
and having the drag link changed make`s having the wheel align done much easier.....so im told
but the drive now is bloody great

snicko
7th October 2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Bel
I have OME 2" lift on our truck but paid ARB to have it fitted. Springs and shockers first then bushes. Very happy with it.

belzi82
7th October 2011, 07:36 PM
THanks Guys. I was looking at going OME so now I just need to purchase a kit. Plas and MD thanks for your offers I am sure that I will take you up on these on one condition Plas, that you bring no Tojo kidnappers!!

belzi82
7th October 2011, 07:41 PM
Me??? It's daz you need to worry about. He's the one with dodgy mates!!!

Sorry PLas, I meant dodgy MD!!!

MudRunnerTD
8th October 2011, 12:08 AM
THanks Guys. I was looking at going OME so now I just need to purchase a kit. Plas and MD thanks for your offers I am sure that I will take you up on these on one condition Plas, that you bring no Tojo kidnappers!!

Sounds like the beginnings of the first VIC Working bee??? can we get this together? Is there a venue where we might get a bit of work done to a few cars? Otherwise Belz, time and place mate let me know. No dramas

Clunk
14th October 2011, 07:30 PM
reckon she must be saving up for her lift kit!!!!! lol

harry-potzer
26th November 2011, 02:43 AM
Sorry to drop in this thread mates but how expensive is such a lift kit approx for a 92 GQ?

Clunk
26th November 2011, 04:22 AM
Sorry to drop in this thread mates but how expensive is such a lift kit approx for a 92 GQ?

For OME approx $1400, but you can get cheaper on eBay, I've seen EFS sets and Lovells / dobinsons sets for around 900

harry-potzer
26th November 2011, 07:43 PM
Cheers mate - is it possible to install them myself (with limited mechanical knowledge)?

YNOT
26th November 2011, 08:13 PM
Cheers mate - is it possible to install them myself (with limited mechanical knowledge)?

Yes it is but you will need a good set of axle/chassis stands. Depending where you are in Brisbane we can probably line someone up who has done it before to give you a hand.

Tony

belzi82
26th November 2011, 08:18 PM
What's the latest with this Bel?

HI,
yeah just saving up for the lift kit, Pyro and boost cost more than I thought.

Have been pricing OME but someone suggested Pedders and said they are pretty good as well.