PDA

View Full Version : W/O front wheel drive (HOPE NOT)

ipatrol26
6th October 2011, 11:41 AM
Hello its me again the guy from Panama.

As some of you might know I have a 1992 GQ with an sd33 engine and k160 tranny, I have the wrong feeling (hope I am wrong) that I donīt have 4wheel drive even though the guy who I bought it from told me that everything worked perfectly.

Iīve always been a fan of 4wheel drive and nissan patrols but fairly new to owing one, as I installed the front drive shaft I can grab it and turn it freely with my hands back and forth, now I donīt know if thatīs what is suppose to do when is off or it fact can somebody tell me how does the 4wheel drive engages on a GQ but I have a k160 tranny.

and the other thing is that: on a k160 tranny how do you engage 4wheel drive??

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2011, 12:19 PM
sorry i dont really know what a K160 Tranny is but in general your front tail shaft will be free to spin if the front hubs are not engaged. I expect that you have a second small shift stick, that is your 2wd / 4wd / hi/lo selector. The Nissan Patrol is not a full time 4wd like an 80 series Toyota. You must select it.

It should be all the way forward to be RWD / 2WD, then 1 click back for Neutral, 2 clicks back for 4 High Range, All the way back for 4 Low Range. The shift from High range to Low range must be done sitting still. The Shift from 2 High to 4 High can be done on the fly up to 80km/h and back . The front hubs must be engaged to be in 4wd.

Hope that helps.

ipatrol26
7th October 2011, 08:59 AM
As you know the front GQ hubs are engage automatically so my quetion is: how do you engage 4 wheel drive other than selecting it with the stick from inside.......do I have to do a full turn on the tires so it can engage or does it engage right away.

Ohh and the k160 transmission is the transmission from an MQ or MK.

MudRunnerTD
7th October 2011, 09:21 AM
The GQ came with Auto or Manual Hubs, if you have the Auto hub model and they are set to Auto then just use the small shift stick inside as described above. if you intend to run in 4wd for an extended period then, using your wheel brace, turn the hub nut to Lock (it is the same size nut as the wheel nut) to lock the hubs into place. Auto will be fine for most times though if your not going hard core.

gec
7th October 2011, 10:25 AM
Put your hubs in the lock position and then try turning your front drive shaft.