PDA

View Full Version : Buying a patrol interstate?

RJG
6th October 2011, 06:53 AM
Hey guys,

My search for a patrol is continuing and I have broaden the search area to include interstate vehicles located in NSW or SA (im in Melbourne). I've never brought a car that wasn't within 100klm's of where I was before and curious to what other peoples experiences have been and whats the best way to go about it to ensure this is a success. ie planning the trips, pre inspections checking for background on the vehicles for its legitimate owner write offs etc.

I know of state roads for pre inspections never used them before, has any one from here used them and whats your feeling on it? Are there any other companies that can be recomended? I ask this as I dont thing the reports from the RACV etc are worth the paper they are written on.

Whats the best way to deal with the registration and getting it home? Obviously It needs to be re registered in Vic once it arrives.

Does a RWC from NSW or SA count in Vic. or do I need to get a new RWC from VIC before re registering the vehicle?

Have I missed anything ?

Thank you in advance, all your input is very much appreicated.

growler2058
6th October 2011, 06:59 AM
We don't have roadworthy certificates in SA so you would need to get one at home I imagine.
I have used the RAA for vehicle inspections and was happy enough with the results. Obviously they will only find problems that can be seen or heard

RJG
6th October 2011, 07:10 AM
While they might only find things that can be seen or heard, it might be enough to decide is the vehicle worth persuing or stay at home and continue the search.

growler2058
6th October 2011, 07:45 AM
I rekon it's about $100 so ya probably would only get en in on a vehicle you were keen on.
If ya find something your keen on I can do a preliminary look at it for ya in Adelaide. I've got some sh1t work hours over the next month or so but yell out anyway. I'm no mechanical genius but have done all the work on my troll so not totally incompetent either :-)

RJG
6th October 2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks Growler appreciate the offer.

aaron
14th October 2011, 08:44 PM
got my GU Patrol from brisbane off old cuppel for $13900 99-2.8td with 162000km brung back to Rockhampton runs sweet so far already spent close to $7000 so far on mud tyers- 4in suppshion lift - 2.5in exhaust. didnt want a 3ltr ZD30 brcause seen 4 mates that went booom and cudnt find a 4.2td in a wagon only ute's plus they alot more money but grate motor im happy with me 2.8 tho :) good luck with your hunt for patrol buddy....... :049:

Dark 1
14th October 2011, 08:55 PM
What year & style patrol are you after, petrol/deisel, sreies 1-2-3-4, wagon ute.

AB
14th October 2011, 08:57 PM
Hey guys,

My search for a patrol is continuing and I have broaden the search area to include interstate vehicles located in NSW or SA (im in Melbourne). I've never brought a car that wasn't within 100klm's of where I was before and curious to what other peoples experiences have been and whats the best way to go about it to ensure this is a success. ie planning the trips, pre inspections checking for background on the vehicles for its legitimate owner write offs etc.

I know of state roads for pre inspections never used them before, has any one from here used them and whats your feeling on it? Are there any other companies that can be recomended? I ask this as I dont thing the reports from the RACV etc are worth the paper they are written on.

Whats the best way to deal with the registration and getting it home? Obviously It needs to be re registered in Vic once it arrives.

Does a RWC from NSW or SA count in Vic. or do I need to get a new RWC from VIC before re registering the vehicle?

Have I missed anything ?

Thank you in advance, all your input is very much appreicated.

Sorry Rob I missed this post.

You will have to bring the vehicle back here in Victoria and take it to the pits at Vicroads for an inspection.

This is ok just make sure you don't get a dodgy RWC in Victoria. Not that many mechanics do that in this day in age anyway.

If your keen to buy the vehicle then it may pay to get someone in the area to check over the vehicle before you buy if going interstate.

Here's a link for more info -->http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/NewToVictoria/InterstateVehicleRegistration.htm

I would actually call them up and ask what the procedure is because they don't mention anything on that page about bring the vehicle in "WITH" the RWC so you may want to clarify that with them.

If you do ring them let us know what they say too mate, I would be interested to find out that procedure myself. I spent months trying to find my Patrol but hang in there....It will come!!!

rainsey
18th October 2011, 10:32 AM
Rob,

Hi, I have just purchased a GU from SA and I live in NSW. I purchased it froma dealer but the concept is the same. My vehicle was un registered ( ex GOV ) and I obtained from the SA RTA a certificate to drive an unregistered vehicle. The permit lasted for 10 days, plenty of time to fly down, pick up the truck and drive it back.

Like you I had been searching for a while ( I had specific needs, i.e. a cab chassis) The selection from NSW was appauling hence the reason why I bought from SA. Also, be carefull with QLD vehicles as some of them are flood damaged.

Cheers

Rainsey