PDA

View Full Version : New member - SWB Ford Maverick

swb_mav646
6th October 2011, 12:01 AM
Hi Guys,

I am new here and am excited to be part of the Patrol Forum Australia. I wish to use all information stored onto the site in order to help me restore and preserve my new project Maverick XL.

I recently have bought myself a 1990 Ford Maverick SWB. It is a 5speed Manual with a Carby TB42. It has 190,000 kms and is in Immaculate condition. Only rust i spotted was on the rear window seel's.

Mods since owned:

Tuned Carby (Suited for LPG)
New Air Filter
New Fuel Filter
New Spark Plugs
Used Top Gun leads
Pertronix electronic ignitor
Bosch Hi-rated Ignition Coil
New alternator belts
Sony head-unit

Short-term plans are:

ARB bullbar w/spotties (non winch), have bought already, waiting for arrival from Melbourne.
Full engine and driveline servicing (engine,gearbox, 2 x diffs, transfer case oils.)
New hubs and bearings.
Possible Holley carby conversion kit
Power steering check-up and servicing (steering box, new steering wheel, tie-rods, the lot)
Central locking + Alarm + SMS receiver.
Replace rear sliding windows with fixed window.
New tinted windows

Once I have finished all of these then I will be moving onto 4WD'ing midifications which will include:

3" New suspension lift
33" mud tyres
UHF radio w/aerial.
Rock Sliders + Scrub bars.
Rear quarter chop with steel tube rear bar
Hi-Lift jack mount
Roof Basket with spotties on front and worklight on rear.

Late next year I plan on inserting a Holden 304 V8 EFI into it. I have done extensive research into this and have decided for it to go ahead when the funds will permit after all my main mods are finished.

Thankyou for reading. I hope to update this thread as I go, please subscribe.

Here are the photos:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2811/photo10to.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7340/photo7xf.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7234/photo9k.jpg

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2074/photo8bt.jpg

Finly Owner
6th October 2011, 12:08 AM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House. nice canvass you've got there.

Tim

Bigrig
6th October 2011, 12:16 AM
G'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs to be found on the forum, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it.

Seriously clean looking unit mate - should come up a treat as the mods progress!!!

Enjoy!

Dhuck
6th October 2011, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
6th October 2011, 06:56 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard, gotta good mob here full of great info and advice

Sir Roofy
6th October 2011, 08:27 AM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

swb_mav646
6th October 2011, 03:30 PM
Thank you guys, I will also be looking forward to my stay here. Ive just got a few problems at the moment with the Carby, ever since I got the car registered, every morning i have a hard time starting the motor. So i manually splash a touch of fuel into the carb and she fires up straight away. When shes warm she starts instantly and runs perfectly, on cold though she has so much trouble starting.

The way it is: I start it, it starts instantly and dies straight away. I start it again and it dies again even with a tiny amount of throttle. I am thinking it is fuel related or possibly choke related. When I changed my carby over before, i had to change the electronic sensors and whatnot cause this carby came off an Auto. And i remember one of the springs associated with the choke valve had been lost. Can this be a contributing factor to my issue?

Thank you.

Maxhead
6th October 2011, 04:52 PM

Clunk
9th October 2011, 01:37 PM
g'day mate and welcome aboard, nice looking shorty you have there mate

nowoolies
9th October 2011, 02:48 PM
g`day mate
welcome on board
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowolies
Paul
p:s piccies we luv piccies

timbar
10th October 2011, 02:34 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

macca
10th October 2011, 07:27 AM
G'day SWB
Welcome Patrol buddy, looking forward to photos from your "home tracks"
Go the Wallabies next weekend, just like last time we met.
Macca

Warnie
10th October 2011, 08:29 AM
Welcome mate, good looking shorty you have there mate. blank canvas to create a beast.

Random
10th October 2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you guys, I will also be looking forward to my stay here. Ive just got a few problems at the moment with the Carby, ever since I got the car registered, every morning i have a hard time starting the motor. So i manually splash a touch of fuel into the carb and she fires up straight away. When shes warm she starts instantly and runs perfectly, on cold though she has so much trouble starting.

The way it is: I start it, it starts instantly and dies straight away. I start it again and it dies again even with a tiny amount of throttle. I am thinking it is fuel related or possibly choke related. When I changed my carby over before, i had to change the electronic sensors and whatnot cause this carby came off an Auto. And i remember one of the springs associated with the choke valve had been lost. Can this be a contributing factor to my issue?

Thank you.

HEY and Welcome, i have a short mav too, and mines the 4.2 with lpg, i had this problem and it turned out the gas pump/regulator in the engine bay was clogged and after getting it cleaned and some new seals it only fails to start every once in a while, but starting it on petrol is a good idea because if you dont run it on petrol every so often you petrol pump seals will dissintergrate like mine did, and it was alot of money to get a replacement pump ^_^

hope that helps, and sweet mav!

swb_mav646
11th October 2011, 10:46 PM
HEY and Welcome, i have a short mav too, and mines the 4.2 with lpg, i had this problem and it turned out the gas pump/regulator in the engine bay was clogged and after getting it cleaned and some new seals it only fails to start every once in a while, but starting it on petrol is a good idea because if you dont run it on petrol every so often you petrol pump seals will dissintergrate like mine did, and it was alot of money to get a replacement pump ^_^

hope that helps, and sweet mav!

hey buddy,

just to clear things up, my car is petrol only with a carby tuned for an lpg setup. i bought the carby 2nd hand off someone that was using it for gas.

the car developed yet another problem the other day, the fan clutch had a lil internal explosion and now needs replacing, the fan is spinning on a slight awkward angle and is also damaged. will be replacing the fan clutch and fan by the weekend if i get time.

cant wait for my bullbar, spotties and uhf to arrive from melbourne next weekend. should be interesting...

big_fletch
12th October 2011, 07:20 PM

Fletcha

wildgu6
13th October 2011, 09:02 PM
G'day buddy,
Great bunch around here mate, great advice, heaps of knowledge & experience and some great laughs too,
top intro mate and a great looking rig, nice work.

Welcome aboard buddy.Enjoy the ride

Cheers Pete

taslucas
13th October 2011, 09:26 PM
Hi mate, Sounds like youre gonna end up with a monster! Nice stuff

Ade
14th October 2011, 04:11 PM
Welcome on board mate..nice and shiny rig you got there.

timbar
15th October 2011, 02:45 AM
By the Way nice rig mate