PDA

View Full Version : Transfer or Hubs

willclark2
5th October 2011, 08:07 PM
I have a 97 GQ i went beach driving the other day and was getting i loud banging nosie from drive train..... was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem???

Regards Will

Sir Roofy
5th October 2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome aboard mate id be checking the uni joints
enjoy your stay

willclark2
5th October 2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome.. checked uni's and they are all new...

Finly Owner
5th October 2011, 10:18 PM
Does it happen when in 2WD? if not has to be something in transfer or front diff.

Tim

NissanGQ4.2
5th October 2011, 10:38 PM
Hi mate, post up an intro in the intro thread when you get a chance.

Do you have auto hubs or manuals hubs?

-ET 4wd-
6th October 2011, 01:35 AM
Howdy mate,
This one is a bit hard, can ya flesh the problem out for us a bit?..ie what ya were doin what ya did before it happened and when ya noticed it, whether the noise is a tick or a crunch or a clunk etc will make it a bit easier for us.
But fro what ya described i would be lookin into CV's first off, that would start as a tick and turn into a crunch.
If you have manual hubs it would be very rare for them to give out, but check for cracks on the hubs from the middle of the bolts back towards the diff.
I very much doubt it would be a transfer, they are as tuff as hell, and you cant kill them with a big stick.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

willclark2
15th November 2011, 11:18 AM
turns out some muppet has had the left hub apart and put it back together wrong causeing the gears to only just mesh and slip under load... thanks for the advise tho guys

Finly Owner
16th November 2011, 12:42 AM
Glad it's sorted for you.

Tim