PDA

View Full Version : butterfly valve pre-cooler.

aaron
5th October 2011, 02:16 PM
hi can any 1 tell me where the butterfly valve pre-cooler is on 2.8 td as have put EGR block plate in ?

the ferret
5th October 2011, 02:28 PM
Four bolts on the inlet to intercooler where the vacuum actuator is.
Best to unplug the intercooler fan and sensor, remove 4 bolts and take the whole intercooler with mounting frame OFF.
Then you can get to the 4 bolts, remove them and screw out the two tiny screws in the butterfly shaft, be carefull with the "0" ring, remove butterfly, put it all back together and re install the intercooler.
DON"T and I mean DON'T, lean or rest on the top radiator tank with your knee or whatever, if you snap the little pipe off, it's another $400.
Cheers, the ferret.

EDIT: When you take the rear intercooler hose off, you will see the butterfly inside.

Chaz
5th October 2011, 02:59 PM
Four bolts on the inlet to intercooler where the vacuum actuator is.
Best to unplug the intercooler fan and sensor, remove 4 bolts and take the whole intercooler with mounting frame OFF.
Then you can get to the 4 bolts, remove them and screw out the two tiny screws in the butterfly shaft, be carefull with the "0" ring, remove butterfly, put it all back together and re install the intercooler.
DON"T and I mean DON'T, lean or rest on the top radiator tank with your knee or whatever, if you snap the little pipe off, it's another $400.
Cheers, the ferret.

EDIT: When you take the rear intercooler hose off, you will see the butterfly inside.

Yep, that is the best way to do it.
If you find doing all that a bit daunting, then just pull the vacuum hose off the actuator and block it.
I normally just fit a ball bearing into the hose and replace it so that it looks like it's all there and working.

aaron
5th October 2011, 03:04 PM
ok sweet will do is it safe to drive withe out this done atm or shuld i do it asap ?

atm it seems to spool round 1000 rpm in sted of 1300. is there any thing else i shuld do or know about boy's.
thank you

Chaz
5th October 2011, 03:09 PM
ok sweet will do is it safe to drive withe out this done atm or shuld i do it asap ?
I wouldn't leave it too long before doing it because your ECU will still operate the EGR and butterfly valves for EGR. When this happens, boost will be reduced and this will increase your exhaust temps. This mod should be part and parcel of the EGR blocking proceedure.

aaron
5th October 2011, 03:17 PM
ok bugger ill get cracking on it then might jst put the ballbaring in that pipe for now that way the butter-fly stays open true ?

aaron
5th October 2011, 03:24 PM
do i block the EGR hose or the 1 to the butterfly or boath of them ?

Chaz
5th October 2011, 05:41 PM
do i block the EGR hose or the 1 to the butterfly or boath of them ?

If you've fitted a blanking plate to the EGR valve, there's no reason to block its hose.