PDA

View Full Version : Rural Fire Service

Maxhead
4th October 2011, 08:51 PM
I finally got around to it and joined NSW Rural Fire Service as a volunteer. I spent 2 days in training over the weekend, so I'm hoping to get my ticket soon. The training was an eye opener and I learned heaps.

I figure I spend enough time in the bush so why not do something to protect it.

Anyway, I thought I would share my good deed for this month...LOL

AB
4th October 2011, 08:56 PM
Well done kris!

After black Saturday being so close to the house I wanted to join but I haven't bothered due to my limited time available in attending call outs.

I wish I could though. Hey mate can you give us updates every now and then of what training you do and any extra info that pops up?

Maxhead
4th October 2011, 09:01 PM
Well done kris!

After black Saturday being so close to the house I wanted to join but I haven't bothered due to my limited time available in attending call outs.

I wish I could though. Hey mate can you give us updates every now and then of what training you do and any extra info that pops up?

Will do mate, so far all I've done is the "Bush FireFighter(BF)" course which is minimum level of competency needed to fight bush and grass fires

NissanGQ4.2
4th October 2011, 09:41 PM
Onya mate, Something I need 2 do!

Finly Owner
4th October 2011, 11:02 PM
Good on you Kris, enjoy a new circle of friends as well.

Tim

the ferret
4th October 2011, 11:08 PM
Well done Kris, all the best mate.
Cheers, the ferret.

Clunk
4th October 2011, 11:28 PM
great stuff Kris, my brother has just gone and done the same thing over here........... they'll be putting him through all sorts of training

nowoolies
4th October 2011, 11:30 PM
onya kris way to go we need more like you

GreaseMonkee
5th October 2011, 01:03 AM
Excellent stuff mate...!
I've done nearly 10 years in the RFS as a volley, and also a stint with State Ops in at head office.....you will learn heaps mate....you will have a ball when you get to the rural fire driver course and get to throw a Cat 1 around like a troll, amazing where you can take them with all that clearance lol

beansathome
5th October 2011, 01:11 AM
nice work mate i would b doing it to if i didnt have a busted knee from the navy. i have done so much training with navy fire fighting gives u a feeling that nothing can replace when u know your saving lives.

Maxhead
5th October 2011, 05:18 AM
Excellent stuff mate...!
I've done nearly 10 years in the RFS as a volley, and also a stint with State Ops in at head office.....you will learn heaps mate....you will have a ball when you get to the rural fire driver course and get to throw a Cat 1 around like a troll, amazing where you can take them with all that clearance lol
Yeah, there will be a few other courses coming up. I had a go at driving the Cat1, 7 and 9, unfortunately the 9 was a 79 series cruiser(brand newV8)...lol
We emptied all the tanks then refilled them again, used the hi-flow pump on the Cat7...wow, does that put some water out!!! 1100l/min from memory.

All good fun

molongmick
5th October 2011, 08:58 AM
Well done, after many years of being involved in the RFS, being one of the founding members of two different brigades, it gives you sense of well being for helping out in the community. I think I almost saw out 15 years, one way or another helping out in the RFS as member, equipment officer, captain and various other roles.

But the family and work commitments meant that that needed to come to a halt.

Volunteering is a great way to help out in the community and to give something back, so well done and all the best, you will have a ball.

Sir Roofy
5th October 2011, 09:08 AM
i finally got around to it and joined nsw rural fire service as a volunteer. I spent 2 days in training over the weekend, so i'm hoping to get my ticket soon. The training was an eye opener and i learned heaps.

I figure i spend enough time in the bush so why not do something to protect it.

Anyway, i thought i would share my good deed for this month...lol

well done kris,another proud aussie looking out for our safety

but take care at the same time