PDA

View Full Version : What Coils???

Dan78
4th October 2011, 11:44 AM
My pootrol is in need of new suspension. I am lookin at putting 5" coils under it, as the previous 4" coils sagged to much for me.They were Dobinsons heavy duty. What would be the best type of coil for me to use. I have a steel bullbar with a winch in the front, and 3 x batteries under the bonnet, so there is a fair bit of weight in there. On the rear, I am going to put a kaymar dual swing arm rear bar.

I am going to stick with the tough dog adjustables for the shocks as I really like these off road.

What are peoples thoughts???

Cheers

growler2058
4th October 2011, 11:50 AM
I've been happy with Dobinsons, however you need to be very specific when ordering any brand of springs to ensure your supplier knows what weight you will have on board so they can match appropriately

-ET 4wd-
6th October 2011, 01:21 AM
X2 for Dobinsons here!
I use them on my race truck and i have them on my GU and the missus Zook.
Im also a seller as i have a trade account with the sydney branch.
Sounds to me as if the previous bloke might have set the front end of ya beast up to soft, I tend to over-spring customers cars as they have to think at least 5 years into the future for mods to make sure the suspension will handle it as ya dont want to have to fork out for springs again once ya start adding stuff!

Steve.

Ben-e-boy
6th October 2011, 02:11 AM
I over sprung mine in the front. the only thing it dosnt flex as well as I want it to

Sir Roofy
6th October 2011, 08:58 AM
I over sprung mine in the front. the only thing it dosnt flex as well as I want it to

in your case bene that might be a blessing theres a bit of wiegh up front of your rig

TuffTD42
9th October 2011, 09:32 PM
My pootrol is in need of new suspension. I am lookin at putting 5" coils under it, as the previous 4" coils sagged to much for me.They were Dobinsons heavy duty. What would be the best type of coil for me to use. I have a steel bullbar with a winch in the front, and 3 x batteries under the bonnet, so there is a fair bit of weight in there. On the rear, I am going to put a kaymar dual swing arm rear bar.

I am going to stick with the tough dog adjustables for the shocks as I really like these off road.

What are peoples thoughts???

Cheers

I ran dobinsons (progressive rate) & I to had a bad run with em. Same thing they sagged 30mm in the front in under a month. I now run toughdogs & love em. I have previously run King springs & found these to be great as well. In the end you just need to tell the shop you go through what mods you have & will be having in the near future. Then if they know what they are doing you shouldn't have any drama's.

I prefer constant rate coils over progressive rate but everybody has there desired ride etc.

Cheers Jono.

-ET 4wd-
10th October 2011, 12:18 AM
I ran dobinsons (progressive rate) & I to had a bad run with em. Same thing they sagged 30mm in the front in under a month. I now run toughdogs & love em. I have previously run King springs & found these to be great as well. In the end you just need to tell the shop you go through what mods you have & will be having in the near future. Then if they know what they are doing you shouldn't have any drama's.

I prefer constant rate coils over progressive rate but everybody has there desired ride etc.

Cheers Jono.

Thats the only drama with progressive rate coils, they dont handle weight well and are usually set-up with softer shocks to use the extra flex they give ya. you are asking 3/4 of the spring lenth to do all the work, unlike a linear rate spring.
I have set-up heaps of Patrols and are happy to say i have not had 1 come back with complaints about it droppin excessively...there happy, im happy!

Steve.