PDA

View Full Version : RB30s

m1n1s1n
4th October 2011, 12:15 AM
I can imagine this has been asked a million times and I do apologise!

Say I wanted to keep my RB30s but put a RB26 head on her and possibly turbo it!

or...

A bit trickier, If I swapped for a RB26DETT how could I keep my old RB30s Carb setup!

Sounds crazy!

But I like carbs :)

Bigrig
4th October 2011, 07:44 AM
Hey mate - someone will no doubt be able to assist with the question, however could you slip over to the introductions section and post up some info about yourself and your rig. Something we ask for and no harm done at all mate, however lets people on here know who they are yakking with etc.

Apart from that - welcome aboard!!!

Ben-e-boy
4th October 2011, 09:58 AM
gday
my mate did the rb26 head on a rb30 on a vl). Its a $10,000 motor before the turbo went on and motor went in, it a brilliant motor strong as an ox and reliable as the day is long. I can be done cheaper but how reliable do you want it. Personaly I want reliability over power in a 4wd.

as for a rb26dett you old rb30 carby wont come close to be able to pump enough fuel to feed that beast and again big $$$$$$

m1n1s1n
4th October 2011, 10:30 AM
updated fuel pump maybe?
I looked at a blow through setup that seem to be the go!

looking at things like the skyline forums they said an RB30e head required a non VCT (vvt) rb26 head would bolt straight on and then you use RB25 studs on the cheap so you dont have to do any drilling!

I suppose the main question is how much does an RB30e differ from the RB30s besides injectors and carby manifold!?

(I do apologise for the none introduction, I sorta look basic forum etiquette)

m1n1s1n
4th October 2011, 04:31 PM
Anybody else?

macca86
4th October 2011, 08:31 PM
mate if you want a rb26 head on her expect big dollars it you're chasing power rather than low down torque and save money get an rb30 E forget the carby altogether and turbo that with forged pistons port polish valves springs crank shaft rings gaskets good t3 or t4 turbo or hybrid front mount cooler and you'll be looking at 300 to 400 hp and 6000 to 10 000. You'll pay 2000 just for a head off an rb26. My sister and I had vl's and vl turbo's great motor even a non turbo motor still has a bullet proof bottom end just needs head and intake work. single cam head people still getting 500 to 700 hp and running 9's down the quarter so not worth the extra for the rb26 head.
If you're in brisbane give jw racing www.jwracing.com.au a call he loves Vl's and race cars

m1n1s1n
4th October 2011, 09:14 PM
Macca86 say i was insane! Is either option possible!?

macca86
5th October 2011, 03:12 PM
the Rb 30 carby to a rb30 E is a straight swap I believe with just new loom fuel pump and computer you can pick up motors cheap at wreckers. I'd buy a wrecked vl so you have all spares to do the job. send the motor for a rebuild and get all internals and goodies done to it then install. the rb26 head will be a reasonable swap to a rb30 bottom end but the extra cost in getting the head isn't worth it as you could get new turbo and intercooler for that price.
All depends how deep your pockets are. If cash was no option then be wild and do the 26 head but I wouldn't as 4x4 isn't all about power and you can still get more than enough power from single cam head. just putting a rb30 E in her will be good enough power wise.

MudSlut
4th March 2012, 05:36 PM
Is this thread still active? I was also looking at doing a RB26dett swap, I have heard the standard box and mounts will bolt up to the RB26 and its just the usual wiring and plumbing to do after. I have also read that you will need a lightend flywheel and heavy duty clutch. RB26 half cuts are getting quite cheap these days and for the price of a turbo diesel motor rebuild you could have the 26 in your patrol.

macca86
4th March 2012, 06:15 PM
Is this thread still active? I was also looking at doing a RB26dett swap, I have heard the standard box and mounts will bolt up to the RB26 and its just the usual wiring and plumbing to do after. I have also read that you will need a lightend flywheel and heavy duty clutch. RB26 half cuts are getting quite cheap these days and for the price of a turbo diesel motor rebuild you could have the 26 in your patrol.

Same again power is great and the rb26 head is much better but 2g for a head is too much when you can do all the upgrades as mentioned you'll be faster cheaper and just as reliable. Plus you only need to buy one cam and not 2 you should check out street commodore mag for build ups. 9 second cars on sohc

Robo
16th March 2012, 02:43 PM
carby and std rb26 cams not compataible.
rb26 cams suited to turbos and 26 .
all rb motor mounts are the same spec spacing.

sounds like a real problem setup idea to me.
I own both these cars. Patrol and GTR

hybrid motor develops good power, but 30 block not as strong as 26.
30 block develops better bottom end power than 26.
due to displacement but has limited top end due to block.
And the gear box fitted to rb30 in patrol is weak not same as 4.2 box.
Told by my gtr mechanic, 300zx box in rb30 patrol.
hybrid motor good idea but, forget the carby and g/box.
yes you'd have something different.
But you are throwing money down the drain.

If you want bucket loads of torque.
turbo 4.2 efi intercooled.

and so the 2 and fro begins, my 30's better than your 26.

cheers

04OFF
16th March 2012, 03:51 PM
I went down this road with my torrie, Macca is right on the money, the dollars to do a twin cam head conversion is much better spent on mods for the single cam, you can even start with a standard NA VL block as long as it series 2 ("Turbo" blocks are stamped A8) BTW, the standard VL IGN system is also good for 9's.

johnny
16th March 2012, 11:35 PM
Hi guys, since you are on the topic.. I am looking at purchasing a GQ and getting the RB30 put in, but does anybody know what engine this can be replaced with?
Any help appreciated.