PDA

View Full Version : how can i boost up my gq

jdavy5
3rd October 2011, 12:20 PM
hey how can i get my gq tb42 petrol runing better and faster?

Ben-e-boy
3rd October 2011, 01:55 PM
A good intake ie snorkle and a quality air filter, extractors and bigger exhaust bit more fuel to match higher air flow, better spark plug and coil to burn it all and a good tune.
This will make the engine run at its full potential making it more efficient and a bit of extra power will be a by product. ( can be done quite cheap)

the next step would be to do some head work ie port an polish, a tri step valve grind, bigger cam bigger carby or injectors, custom intake plenum ( not so cheap)

Then some high quality low compression pistons and high quality conrods
a crank balance
Then a big f*#k off turbo. the only down side is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ but it will make big big power

patch697
3rd October 2011, 03:06 PM
This really depends on what type of improvement your after?

If your looking for a BIG improvement then as said above your looking at bucks & depending on how much you have to throw at it will determine how much extra horse power you end up with. I've driven a turboed TB42 that was an unfinished project & it was simply smashing power to say the least.

If your just looking for a small improvement on what you have then you need to tell us what sort of TB42 you have (ie: TB42s or TB42e) & from there we can better advise you.

jdavy5
4th October 2011, 01:12 PM
This really depends on what type of improvement your after?

If your looking for a BIG improvement then as said above your looking at bucks & depending on how much you have to throw at it will determine how much extra horse power you end up with. I've driven a turboed TB42 that was an unfinished project & it was simply smashing power to say the least.

If your just looking for a small improvement on what you have then you need to tell us what sort of TB42 you have (ie: TB42s or TB42e) & from there we can better advise you. all i can find is tb42. i just want it to run more efficient and a bit more extra power

Ben-e-boy
4th October 2011, 01:46 PM
all i can find is tb42. i just want it to run more efficient and a bit more extra power

then what I said first....... Air in, exhaust out, more fuel, bigger spark you will see better fuel efficiency ( unless you have a heavy right foot)

patch697
4th October 2011, 02:10 PM
all i can find is tb42. i just want it to run more efficient and a bit more extra power

Is it carby or fuel injected?

jdavy5
5th October 2011, 11:20 AM
Is it carby or fuel injected? carby and iv got it on gas to

cliff
5th November 2011, 08:24 PM
Find yourself a good gas mechanic and get him to give it a good tune. But as already stated increase the fuel in, increase the spark and open up the exhaust!!

ozzyboy
5th November 2011, 09:28 PM
i am in the same boat here.
4.2 fuel injected petrol / gas.
Very thirsty and seems sluggish down low.
i was looking at doing some extractors for starters, but there is very little room under the bonnet.

the ferret
6th November 2011, 01:03 AM
Shave 50 thou off the head, tripple carbs, lumpy cam, port 'n pollish, lighten flywheel, sports coil the list goes on, but this is a start,
My "59" Zephyr had 70 off the head, extractors, 4 su's, port'n pollish, 4 sp Riley bag and solid clutch plate, 70mph in 2nd, blew the tops out of 2 pistons at 160mph.
Back to the drawing board lol.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/Zephyrwithchick.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/Zephyr.jpg

EVEN had VALVE radio LOL.

Silver
6th November 2011, 02:57 AM
Shave 50 thou off the head, tripple carbs, lumpy cam, port 'n pollish, lighten flywheel, sports coil the list goes on, but this is a start,
My "59" Zephyr had 70 off the head, extractors, 4 su's, port'n pollish, 4 sp Riley bag and solid clutch plate, 70mph in 2nd, blew the tops out of 2 pistons at 160mph.
Back to the drawing board lol.
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/Zephyrwithchick.jpg
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/Zephyr.jpg

EVEN had VALVE radio LOL.

you looked different back then, Ferret :-)

Silver
6th November 2011, 02:59 AM
if carby and on gas, apparently extended rotor buttons make a difference. I run petrol only but have just bought one, yet to fit it

Silver
6th November 2011, 03:00 AM
oh, yeah, make sure tyre pressures are right, and if you are carrying around a lot of stuff, make sure you only keep what you need, esp if heavy.

the ferret
6th November 2011, 04:16 AM
you looked different back then, Ferret :-)
Oh but mate........... I've been married to her for over 40 years, she still looks the same and I wouldn't swap her fer Quids.
Cheers, the ferret.

poltac
7th November 2011, 02:05 AM
Do petrol patrols suffer from blocked injectors as mine was sitting around for a year before I got it runs very well on LPG by seems slugish on petrol in the low to midrange
John

YNOT
7th November 2011, 09:31 AM
Yes petrols can suffer from blocked injectors especially dual fuel cars. Forget the injector flushes you put through the fuel tank, if you want the injectors properly cleaned you will to remove them for an ultrasonic clean.

Check closely all the intake ducting between the airflow meter and the intake manifold, if there are any air leaks you mixtures will be wrong and it won't run properly.

Coolant temperature sensors and exhaust gas oxygen sensors on EFI Patrols can go out of calibration over time and cause poor running without logging fault codes, something else to keep in mind.

Tony

poltac
7th November 2011, 08:36 PM
Hi Ynot I notice my temp guage only reads just of cold but the motor seams warm will have to check temp guage sensor and the efi sensor if there are two of them'
might also have to check the oxygen sensor as the have tapped into it for the lpg
john