PDA

View Full Version : Steering wobble

suvrd28
30th September 2011, 10:19 PM
Hi i have a 5-6inch lift and get wobbles in my steering wheel when i hit bumps in the road.
I have replaced my bushes on the front end and it helps for a few months but comes back again.
I also have a tough dog RTC steering damper.
Does anyone have any suggustions?

patch697
30th September 2011, 10:39 PM
What model is yours again mate & what bushes were replace? Also what were they replaced with ie what type & what brand?

Ben-e-boy
1st October 2011, 07:48 AM
gday mate

Mine wobbles at 60kmh I just had a wheel ballance. made it a bit better. but do as I am about to do is GET RID OF THE RTC DAMPER Personally its one of the biggest mistakes ive done to my ute and I would not recommend them to any one

another thing make sure the is no play in your wheel bearings. hitting a bump then getting wheel wobble is classic loose wheel bearing. I just swapped an axle and cv and I thought the wheel bearing was tight enough there was no play and it was great on the test drive. The second time I drove it it near drove me off the road with the wobbles.

suvrd28
3rd October 2011, 12:07 PM
I have checked my wheel bearings and they are tight.
I replaced the panhard bushes, bushes on the suspension arms front and rear urethane not sure of the brand now.
I have checked all the tie rod ends/balljoints all are good.
And still wobbles

_Greg
4th October 2011, 12:10 PM
Really, with what you have replaced, the symptoms point to the steering dampner.

big_fletch
4th October 2011, 04:39 PM
Could also be swivel hub bearings or play in the steering box.. I tried everything on my GU, eventually pulled the swivel hubs apart and the bearings were shot.. Replaced and car drives smoooooth as

aaron
5th October 2011, 06:20 PM
hi i am about to put 4in lift in my GU 99 i already have tougd dog 45mm big bore shocks ajustable and supiour every thing els what kind of stering dampner do use reckomend ?

growler2058
5th October 2011, 08:49 PM
Could also be swivel hub bearings or play in the steering box.. I tried everything on my GU, eventually pulled the swivel hubs apart and the bearings were shot.. Replaced and car drives smoooooth as

x2 replaced my swivel hub bearings that were totally effed and so far (touch wood) so good! Wobbles gone. I've been linning potholes etc up tryin to get it back but nuthin

Finly Owner
5th October 2011, 10:16 PM
Patrols have a problem with wheel wobble, it can be caused by: shocks, steering joints, sway bar bushes, panhards bushes, spring bushes(if leaf), wheel bearings, pivot-knuckle-king pin bearings, and the last to be replaced is the dampner as this does not cause the wobble.

Tim