PDA

View Full Version : GQ, tb42 mechanical fuel pump Question

dirty_dog
29th September 2011, 10:49 PM
hey guys i've just bought a secondhand fuel pump from a wreckers. i got it home and the leaver only moves about a mill mabye half a mill. how much is the leaver supposed to move. i know it's supposed to move coz the workshop manual says it should. i don't wanna fit it and find out it's no good.

patch697
29th September 2011, 11:24 PM
It should be move a lot more then that but thay do have a mighty stiff spring so how are you trying to test its movement?

dirty_dog
29th September 2011, 11:32 PM
ive tried to push it with me hand, putiton a bench and put me body weight into it even tried hitting it with a rubber mallet

patch697
30th September 2011, 12:08 AM
ive tried to push it with me hand, putiton a bench and put me body weight into it even tried hitting it with a rubber mallet

Well given what you've said im tipping its defective. You can move them by hand if your on the stronger side but to withstand body weight don't sound right to me

dirty_dog
30th September 2011, 03:10 PM
nah it's all good man i installed it this morning and it's working good. maybe i'm just weak. ha ha

patch697
30th September 2011, 04:40 PM
nah it's all good man i installed it this morning and it's working good. maybe i'm just weak. ha ha

Good stuff mate........ They do have one hell of a stiff spring for some reason so it was obviously foolen with ya................hahahahaha

dirty_dog
3rd October 2011, 09:29 PM
yeah man and after all that i'm missing the power cable for the solanoid valve that shuts off the fuel supply when i'm running it on gas. will it never end.

patch697
3rd October 2011, 09:43 PM
yeah man and after all that i'm missing the power cable for the solanoid valve that shuts off the fuel supply when i'm running it on gas. will it never end.

Thats not a hard one to sort out.....

Let us know if you get stuck, im sure we can help you get that sorted.

Random
8th October 2011, 12:04 PM
it could also have just been the spring over extended the arm and semi jammed it so you couldnt move it but once in place with engine power behind it it unstuck.
biggest thing is to make sure you run it on petrol every so often, seems the patrol i bought had a dead one because they never ran it on anything but gas

damaverick
8th October 2012, 01:10 AM
The mechanical fuel pump on my GQ is leaking engine oil so I bought a new one to replace it with.

It came with a new gasket as well but the gasket feels kinda hard so do I need to put some silicone around it? Also, does the gasket only go one way? It looks like it can go either way but it came with a disclaimer that said warranty is void if gasket is not fitted properly so I'm just a bit cautious.

Any advice appreciated.

snewin
8th October 2012, 01:37 AM
Wow, a year to the day. That's weird.

Robo
8th October 2012, 02:19 AM
Ford manual as far as I can see only mentions.
Disconnect battery before playing with fuel system.
Pumps 2 bolts torque to 12-14 Ft-Lb.
No mention or pic of gasket or on Nissan fast .
Only a insulator, which cant be confused with a gasket.
Insulator say 8 mm thick plastic.
Does it have a gasket either side of insulator cant remember but me think it does and it's 2.45 am now.
Sure someone will sort this bit for ya
Cheers

Robo
8th October 2012, 02:24 AM
Wow, a year to the day. That's weird.

Now you point it out, Yeah.
so was the 2nd hand one worth the effort and $$.

damaverick
8th October 2012, 06:07 PM
yeah, you're right I think I meant to say insulator when I was referring to gasket

dunno how his second hand one is going but I prefer to buy new when it comes to moving parts