PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for buying advice.

Chappell74
26th September 2011, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone!
What a great forum....

I'm looking for some advice from dedicated enthusiasts before i hand myself over to the mercy of used 4x4 dealers......although I have to say that the local used dealer seems like a good old boy. He has a good range to choose from and competes in NZ winch challenge......oh yeah, i'm based in Auckland NZ

I'm looking to buy a used Safari Granroad between 93-95.

I've test driven the non-turbo and the turbo diesel models, my preference is for the turbo.......are there any good reasons why i should go non-turbo?

What sort of Ks can I expect to get - either per litre or from a full tank?

How do the old turbos fair in sand? 90 mile beach is just up the road!!!!

I'll be looking to lift it and put 33's on it....will a 2-4 inch spring kit be enough?

Any other tips/things to consider before I hand over my hard earned cash would be appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

katwoman
26th September 2011, 06:03 PM
Welcome, mate. Being a GU owner, cant really help, but Im assuming turbo is the way to go !
Plenty of Q owners will be along with their opinions, no doubt. Good luck with it..

patch697
26th September 2011, 06:59 PM
Mate I can't think of not even half a reason not to go turbo TD42 let alone a one whole one.

K's i'd expect to be seeing at the 300+ make but anything under that would be a bonus.

General reports on a TD42 turbo is around the 12 to 14ltr/100k's, higher for the TD42N/A at around 16+.

3inch lift will suit 33's but if you got the coin then go the 4" & be done with it. (fair bit more involved in setting up 4" lift though)

Hope that helps somewhat.

Chappell74
26th September 2011, 07:06 PM
Helps heaps thanks mate.

Does the 4 inch lift involve castor plates etc?

Chappell74
26th September 2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks. Just spotted a nice 99 model. Mmmmm tempting!

patch697
26th September 2011, 07:14 PM
Helps heaps thanks mate.

Does the 4 inch lift involve castor plates etc?

We go drop boxes here instead of caster plates but yeah it would. plus adjustable rear control arms, panhard rods drag link, longer brake hoses front & rear & bias plate, sway bay link pins & im sure I've missed some bits as well.

wildgu6
26th September 2011, 07:52 PM
G'day Craig, Great bunch around here mate, great advice, heaps of knowledge & experience and some great laughs too,

Welcome aboard buddy.Enjoy the ride

Cheers Pete

AB
26th September 2011, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

The non turbos are fairly slow. Is this your daily driver?

growler2058
26th September 2011, 08:02 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard, love me td42 natural aspirated will pull up any hill eventually hahaahahhaaha

Bigrig
26th September 2011, 08:52 PM
G'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs to be found on the forum, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it. Enjoy!

Maxhead
26th September 2011, 09:16 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

teleman
26th September 2011, 10:14 PM
Welcome aboard friend. Turbo or non Turbo, they are unbreakable. Personal choice. Others will be around to help and there is a dedicated safari thread on this forum.

Finly Owner
26th September 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Craig

Tim

big_fletch
26th September 2011, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

Dhuck
27th September 2011, 08:13 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

DX grunt
27th September 2011, 08:17 AM
G'day Craig

Welcome onboard and great to have you here.

I love my GU turbo. lol

Take care out there.

Rossco

Sir Roofy
27th September 2011, 10:15 AM
Welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay

Wizard52
27th September 2011, 03:08 PM
Love the turbo to keep power up on loose sand so you don't loose momentum

taslucas
27th September 2011, 09:19 PM
Hi everyone!
What a great forum....

I'm looking for some advice from dedicated enthusiasts before i hand myself over to the mercy of used 4x4 dealers......although I have to say that the local used dealer seems like a good old boy. He has a good range to choose from and competes in NZ winch challenge......oh yeah, i'm based in Auckland NZ

I'm looking to buy a used Safari Granroad between 93-95.

I've test driven the non-turbo and the turbo diesel models, my preference is for the turbo.......are there any good reasons why i should go non-turbo?

What sort of Ks can I expect to get - either per litre or from a full tank?

How do the old turbos fair in sand? 90 mile beach is just up the road!!!!

I'll be looking to lift it and put 33's on it....will a 2-4 inch spring kit be enough?

Any other tips/things to consider before I hand over my hard earned cash would be appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Gday mate,
So your in NZ and looking for a bus between ninety-three and ninety-five? Would you consider going for a ninety-sex? haha couldnt help myself! Welcome to the forum. Youll find a thread on safaris here.

Clunk
2nd October 2011, 12:53 PM
g'day and welcome aboard mate

benkee
3rd October 2011, 04:48 PM
Howed u go mate find that speical beast u wanted

Chappell74
10th October 2011, 06:03 PM
It will be - just gone for a 96 TD, Granroad as need the height. Decided non-turbos are too slow.
Cheers

Chappell74
10th October 2011, 06:07 PM
Hhaha - i reckon the Kiwis say Ninety - sux to go with their fush n chups.

Chappell74
10th October 2011, 06:10 PM
Yep! Just droppped a deposit on a 96 Granroad, low Ks, lots of history. 2 inch lift and a set of 33's sorted before collection, cheers

macca
11th October 2011, 07:49 AM
Welcome Patrol buddy, looking forward to photos from your "home tracks"
Macca