PDA

View Full Version : Engine Buzz??

stump05
26th September 2011, 04:17 PM
Watcha!
Took "The Brick" on our first highway roll. Wagga to Bathurst to Sydney then home. Real pleased with the fuel consumption (1999 GU 2.8 litre TD) coming back in at 11litres/100k but...had what I would call a very tight vibration which can be felt through the steering wheel, gear stick and even the seats. Feels like a heavy buzz and is more noticeable in the lower gears. I tried coasting with the clutch depressed to see if it is wheels/suspension/sterring and the vibration went when the clutch was depressed. Still pulls fine and powers up the hills etc so I'm just wondering if anybody else has/is experiencing this?
Is it normal or an issue? Cheers in advance - Stump - Rock On!

AB
26th September 2011, 04:44 PM
Hey Stump, is the vibration only in lower gears, lower revs and not at high?

This is caused by general engine vibrations which happens on my TD42 all the time and shutters through the whole car.

patch697
26th September 2011, 05:51 PM
Watcha!
Took "The Brick" on our first highway roll. Wagga to Bathurst to Sydney then home. Real pleased with the fuel consumption (1999 GU 2.8 litre TD) coming back in at 11litres/100k but...had what I would call a very tight vibration which can be felt through the steering wheel, gear stick and even the seats. Feels like a heavy buzz and is more noticeable in the lower gears. I tried coasting with the clutch depressed to see if it is wheels/suspension/sterring and the vibration went when the clutch was depressed. Still pulls fine and powers up the hills etc so I'm just wondering if anybody else has/is experiencing this?
Is it normal or an issue? Cheers in advance - Stump - Rock On!

First pot of call would be to go check your uni joints.

Sounds a bit like one to me.

stump05
26th September 2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks AB and Patch697 for the reply. I had a thought tonight driving in town that I had a new single mass heavy duty clutch put in just after I got it. Could this be responsible for the vibe. It is through the entire rev range AB and in all gears just not as pronounced in 4th or 5th doing the legal limit of course.

Finly Owner
26th September 2011, 10:41 PM
I agree with Paul, also suggest checking wheel bearings are not over tight and greased.

Tim

suvrd28
3rd October 2011, 12:14 PM
Yes check the wheel bearings front rear and your uni joints.
I had a similar problem and it ended up being the water pump.

Ben-e-boy
3rd October 2011, 12:35 PM
Wheel bearings will still make a noise if the clutch is in or out. You have recently had clutch work done I'd be looking there first. I would then follow the same path as suvrd28