PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission Oil Cooler for Patrol GQ

oldtimer40
25th September 2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Guys / Gals,

Looking to get a Auto Trans Cooler to fit to my GQ Patrol. Will be doing bush work with hill climbs, and towing the occassional trailer / boat now and again.

I have found a mob in melbourne who are experts and recommend a 30 plate version with dimensions 280 x 280 x 19mm, price??.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=12319

There is also the Davies Craig - HydraCool 30 Plate (Model: 679) dimensions: 300 x 285 x 19mm with 3/8" barb connect at $230.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Oil_Coolers-HYDRA_COOL_UNIVERSAL_30_PLATE_HEAVY_DUTY_COOLER___ PART_No__679-details.aspx

Also some similiar options from ebay, such as the PWR - 280 x 255 x 19 with 3/8" barb connect $119, and AN6 connect $140.

Some questions:

1. Airflow Issues: If a oil cooler dimensions 300 x 300 was mounted in front of the condenser radiator, would that not restrict air flow to the water radiator, affecting engine temp?

2. How to mount: Some people say mount to the condensor radiator?!?! Others say mount to the front Grill?!? I can forsee the condensor raditor being damaged from bearing the load, and movement, would not the same issue of the front grill breaking under load also?? What about proper made-up stand-off's from the front frame?? - Advice please.

3. Connection Issues: The output from the transmission fluid side tanks of the water radiator is 5/16" barb, most of these devices are 3/8" or AN6. What is the best method to adapt to the 5/16" barb, with best guarantee of no leak issues?

Has anybody used the devices descibed above, and is "bigger" really better. Summer is coming up, and I plan on doing some tours. Are there other recommends?

Would be nice to hear from people who have mounted such devices, and the feedback.

growler2058
25th September 2011, 12:34 PM
Gday mate welcome aboard gotta good mob here with good info and advice

NissanGQ4.2
25th September 2011, 11:09 PM
Welcome 2 the forum,

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can.

I would recommend putting in a temp gauge first and see what your oil temp is running at before installing anything else.

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 11:11 PM
Alloy radiator with twin oil coolers?? Just a thought - better Colling system, and it solves the transmission cooling at the same time. I installed one (have an oil cooler also), and it's quite incredible the difference it's made.

NissanGQ4.2
25th September 2011, 11:17 PM
Alloy radiator with twin oil coolers?? Just a thought - better Colling system, and it solves the transmission cooling at the same time. I installed one (have an oil cooler also), and it's quite incredible the difference it's made.

So you know what temp your auto is running at Scottie?????

Bigrig
25th September 2011, 11:26 PM
So you know what temp your auto is running at Scottie?????

Bloody cool!!! lmao ...

It was running hot as buggery before I got the radiator though - you could cook an egg on the top of the gear lever assembly in the car. As they say, keep the transmission cool and keep it for life ...

NissanGQ4.2
26th September 2011, 07:14 PM
Bloody cool!!! lmao ...

It was running hot as buggery before I got the radiator though - you could cook an egg on the top of the gear lever assembly in the car. As they say, keep the transmission cool and keep it for life ...

now you tell me *LMAO* do run a temp gauge in yours????, something i am thinking of doing, might as well while the gearbox is out and in 1 billion bits *L*

wildgu6
26th September 2011, 07:53 PM
G'day buddy, Great bunch around here mate, great advice, heaps of knowledge & experience and some great laughs too,

Welcome aboard buddy.Enjoy the ride

Cheers Pete

oldtimer40
26th September 2011, 10:18 PM

Thanks BigRig, I have only had this beast for 2 weeks, and have noticed the engine is getting very warm, and the trans is getting very very hot on normal driving.

It had the head changed and modifed at some stage, so the 40mm hose from the bottom of the radiator has a tee-section into a 3/4" heater pipe going into the bottom of the thermostat housing (2 feeds in), and the top of the radiator 40mm pipe to the top of the thermostat housing has a tee-section into another 3/4" pipe then a 6 way splitter with 6 OFF 5/16" hoses going into each cylinder. Asking around this was done as a fix to the overheat and head cracking issues.

I dumped the coolant?! - What coolant, dirty brown sludge...so much for the service upkeep.

So far I have changed:

- All belts (they were stuffed anyway)
- Radiator ($350 for re-core)
- Radiator, tranmission and heater hoses
- In the middle of fixing the air filter box as it's all cracked - very hard to get, by the way.

I was just thinking whilw I'm repairing, to get "peace of mind" and elininate the possible of the trans crapping out when you least expect it, just to get it done.

To install a thermostat, I was quoted $295.00 for just the parts, as below.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=12031

So my thinking is $150 for a transmission cooler with overheat problem fixed vs $295 to see if I have a problem.

You thoughts...

Bigrig
26th September 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks BigRig, I have only had this beast for 2 weeks, and have noticed the engine is getting very warm, and the trans is getting very very hot on normal driving.

It had the head changed and modifed at some stage, so the 40mm hose from the bottom of the radiator has a tee-section into a 3/4" heater pipe going into the bottom of the thermostat housing (2 feeds in), and the top of the radiator 40mm pipe to the top of the thermostat housing has a tee-section into another 3/4" pipe then a 6 way splitter with 6 OFF 5/16" hoses going into each cylinder. Asking around this was done as a fix to the overheat and head cracking issues.

I dumped the coolant?! - What coolant, dirty brown sludge...so much for the service upkeep.

So far I have changed:

- All belts (they were stuffed anyway)
- Radiator ($350 for re-core)
- Radiator, tranmission and heater hoses
- In the middle of fixing the air filter box as it's all cracked - very hard to get, by the way.

I was just thinking whilw I'm repairing, to get "peace of mind" and elininate the possible of the trans crapping out when you least expect it, just to get it done.

To install a thermostat, I was quoted $295.00 for just the parts, as below.

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=12031

So my thinking is $150 for a transmission cooler with overheat problem fixed vs $295 to see if I have a problem.

You thoughts...

Decision is ultimately always yours mate, however you mention a bit has been done to keep the engine cool also, and that was sort of the path I was going down - alloy radiator (decent size), with twin oil coolers gives you the best of both worlds - addresses the transmission cooling as well as being more efficient at cooling the engine. You can go another step further and get a cooler thermostat (they open about 72 degrees instead of 85 - I have one if these also).

But alloy radiators aren't cheap, so it's a balance I guess between trying some things as you mention or just going for gold and installing a new setup. Either way, get the oil cooler and you can still do an alloy radiator install later if you wanted and have 3 coolers (like mine - 1 oil cooler and twin tanks on the radiator).

Dhuck
27th September 2011, 08:15 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

oldtimer40
4th October 2011, 02:13 PM
Have installed the Transmission Cooler in series with the Radiator, and mounted to the front of the condensor radiator. Will post up the pictures soon.

However, I have checked the dipstick at the firewall to top up more ATF fluid into the gearbox, and have noticed little bits of white crud like curdled milk on the dipstick?? Is this a cause for concern?

Is has been sitting for 3 weeks now, while I am doing all this work.

Could this crud be just condensation and now worry about it, or is it something serious? Does it mean draining the fluid and changing the filter?

timbar
10th October 2011, 01:48 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Maxhead
10th October 2011, 06:56 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

Warnie
10th October 2011, 07:25 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Yeah I would drop the fluid and change the filter. My old GQ's radiator failed internally and mixed all the coolant and gearbox oil and caused heaps of problems with gears slipping, until i fully flushed the system. May as well drop the fluid while you are going.