PDA

View Full Version : Battery disconnect when storing

Ducattirp
24th September 2011, 12:14 AM
Hi folks, I'm needing to store my '05 Patrol LWB outside for c. 3 months and was going to remove the battery and charge it inside the house with a CTEK XS3600 3.8 amp maintainer charger. The house will be empty for the 3 months apart from a person checking things once a month.

Question is: does anyone know if disconnecting the battery for such a time will screw up any of the memory items on the truck? Obviously radio codes are a no brainer but what about transmission and engine ECUs?

Thanks a lot !

Rob

Bulbous
24th September 2011, 05:50 AM
You will have to reset the clock when you reconnect the battery :(

AB
24th September 2011, 07:43 AM
Hi mate, you did a double post about this question.

Everything else should be fine, the ECU will be reset which is no problem so any faults, etc will reset.

macca
24th September 2011, 09:00 AM
I am not sure about battery storage, when you buy a battery it is not on a maintaining charger yet charged ready for use.
I would think it would be OK to remove battery and fully charge it with your charger, then disconnect it from the charger all togeather.
When you get home give it a boost charge then away you go, it might not need a boost.
I see it as more a safety thing, if something goes wrong while the place is unoccupied it could be a huge hassle. Lightning strike is a threat to electronics, you dont want the charger to start overcharging for example. Plus you are using energy for 3 months with no real advantage.
A mate had a WRX that the immoboliser would discharge the battery, he put one of those 5watt solars (that sit on the dash and plugs in the aux socket) on the roof of his shed and connected it to the battery and it maintained the charge no worries, might be a cheap and safe alternative.
Interesting question Rob, others have answered the reset question for you - that will not be a problem at all.
Cheers
Macca

MC97GQ
24th September 2011, 09:38 AM
Just another thing as well,

Everyone probably knows this but I thought I would put it out there,

Make sure you do not leave the battery sitting on a concrete floor, by all accounts this will bugger up a battery

Enjoy the trip

Mark

Maxhead
24th September 2011, 11:53 AM
Just another thing as well,

Everyone probably knows this but I thought I would put it out there,

Make sure you do not leave the battery sitting on a concrete floor, by all accounts this will bugger up a battery

Enjoy the trip

Mark

Haha, not everyone knows this, there is always a dumbarse like me :)..lol.
Thanks for the tip..

And Ducattrp, the ECU will clear but will relearn all the setting when you start driving around

patch697
24th September 2011, 12:00 PM
I am not sure about battery storage, when you buy a battery it is not on a maintaining charger yet charged ready for use.
I would think it would be OK to remove battery and fully charge it with your charger, then disconnect it from the charger all togeather.
When you get home give it a boost charge then away you go, it might not need a boost.
I see it as more a safety thing, if something goes wrong while the place is unoccupied it could be a huge hassle. Lightning strike is a threat to electronics, you dont want the charger to start overcharging for example. Plus you are using energy for 3 months with no real advantage.
A mate had a WRX that the immoboliser would discharge the battery, he put one of those 5watt solars (that sit on the dash and plugs in the aux socket) on the roof of his shed and connected it to the battery and it maintained the charge no worries, might be a cheap and safe alternative.
Interesting question Rob, others have answered the reset question for you - that will not be a problem at all.
Cheers
Macca

100% agree with this post.

I would not be leaving a battery charging unattended for that amount of time. there is a chance that something could go wrong & with on one there to check on it who knows what could happen.

Disconnect for sure & remove & store it if you wish, but I'd be playing it safe & worrying about charging it (thats if it needs it at all) when I got back.

Piece of mind is a wondrous thing.

Clunk
24th September 2011, 12:03 PM
Haha, not everyone knows this, there is always a dumbarse like me :)..lol.
Thanks for the tip..

And Ducattrp, the ECU will clear but will relearn all the setting when you start driving around

X2 I'm like Nisspat, I also didn't know about leaving battery on concrete

timbar
24th September 2011, 12:28 PM
X2 I'm like Nisspat, I also didn't know about leaving battery on concrete

Me neither never heard that one? ? Why is that? ? Is it the coldness? ?

MC97GQ
24th September 2011, 05:04 PM
Me neither never heard that one? ? Why is that? ? Is it the coldness? ?

Not sure timbar, but if you go to any battery shop they are always stored on shelves or pallets.

My local auto electrician has always advised to store them on a bench if you don't it put in your truck straight away.

It could be an old wive's tale, but better to be safe than sorry.

Others here(ie: Big Fletch) might know why this might be right.

Mark

Ben-e-boy
24th September 2011, 06:12 PM
Yes it is the cold that hurts it. keep it on timber. The cold turns the electrolite into a jelly and it increases its resistance thus affecting its current flow

Every battery suffers from whats called "LOCAL ACTION" The electrolite inside the battery is reacting with itself using it own energy and eventuall going flat. There is nothing you can do about this

Finly Owner
24th September 2011, 10:00 PM
As Benny says, use a solid thick piece of timber, not a steel bench or concrete floor. Remove from battery tray in vehicle and place a piece of rubber tray and battery about 5-10mm thick to insulate against the cold while it sits unconnected in storage. The solar charger is a brilliant idea.

Tim

the evil twin
24th September 2011, 10:33 PM
The Concrete Floor Myth... freely admit I used to believe it myself till I started working in Electrical Electronics

There is nothing wrong with storing a modern (manuf in the last 40 odd years) wet cell lead acid battery on Concrete or steel or whatever.

From Supercharge batteries http://www.supercharge.com.au/battery_care_4.php
Myth - Storing a battery on a concrete floor will discharge it
All lead-acid batteries will naturally self discharge. The rate of self discharge is most influenced by the temperature of the battery's electrolyte and the chemistry of the plates. Some experts believe that storing car or deep cycle batteries on a colder concrete floor might actually slow down the leakage rate because the floor acts as a heat sink.

From Car Batteries Australia http://carbatteriesaustralia.com.au/car_battery_myths_part_1.html
It also does not matter if the battery is sitting on a concrete floor. An old myth that is still doing the rounds says that car batteries will discharge faster when stored on concrete.

... and the 'recommended' way to store a battery from Powerstream http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm
Trojan: Periods of inactivity can be extremely harmful to lead acid batteries. When placing a battery into storage, follow the recommendations below to insure that the battery remains healthy and ready for use.

NOTE: Storing, charging or operating batteries on concrete is perfectly OK. The most important things to avoid:
Freezing. Avoid locations where freezing temperature is expected. Keeping battery at a high state of charge will also prevent freezing. Freezing results in irreparable damage to battery's plates and container. [Freezing can happen between -19 F (40% charge) and -98 F (fully charged)]

Heat. Avoid direct exposure to heat sources, such as radiators or space heaters. Temperatures above 80° F accelerate the battery's self-discharge characteristics.
Step by step storage procedure: 1. Completely charge the battery before storing. 2. Store the battery in a cool, dry location, protected from the elements. 3. During storage, monitor the specific gravity (flooded) or voltage. Batteries in storage should be given a boost charge when they show a 70% charge or less. Completely charge the battery before re-activating.

AB
25th September 2011, 07:46 AM
Well there you go....Myth Busters!!!

MC97GQ
25th September 2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks evil twin,

I stand corrected, as always I knew someone here would come up with the right info.

Mark

the evil twin
25th September 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks evil twin,

I stand corrected, as always I knew someone here would come up with the right info.

Mark

Hiya mark,

Yeah, I would have sworn on stack of Bibles myself till I was... uuummm... gently put wise by one of the crankiest dudes I've ever worked with... it worked... I've never forgotten :bowdown:

Ducattirp
27th September 2011, 07:50 PM
Hi thanks AB... yes sorry about the dbl post, I realised it was electrical not general... won't do that again !!

Cheers... Rob

Ducattirp
27th September 2011, 07:51 PM
Thank you !!

Ducattirp
27th September 2011, 07:52 PM
Really, really helpful... thanks very much... Rob

Ducattirp
27th September 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks Macca, you make a really good point about lightening strikes. The house is in SW France and is very prone to lightening strikes and power outages. We had a beauty last time we were over, the power had tripped after we left the house 5 weeks prior and turned the freezer off... it was full of rotting food with maggots and flies and stink when we came back ! So yes.... really good advice, I think I'll give it a good charge when I disconnect it and charge it up before refitting.

Thanks a lot !!

Rob

Ducattirp
27th September 2011, 07:59 PM
Thank you Tim, I think I will use some wood to put it on, even though there seems to be some debate.... cheers... Rob

Ducattirp
27th September 2011, 08:02 PM
Yep, you're dead right Patch... I replied to Macca, the house is in an area of many lightening strikes and subsequent power outages... it happens all the time so the chances are it will bugger the charger somehow. I'll give it a charge when I disconnect and then another before I refit but leave it unconnected in the meantime.

Thanks a lot... Rob