PDA

View Full Version : LED Headlight's VS Fletcha's HID's

big_fletch
17th September 2011, 07:42 PM
Well as the name suggests, i had a chance last night to put the new range of LED headlight inserts up against my HID Troll. Im not sure of the exact specs of the Led headlights however my troll is running
- 55w Headlight HID's
- 75w HID's in Lightforce

I was up against the New 7" LED headlight inserts and 7" LED Driving lights made by Speaker..

Needless to say i was shocked at how far LED's have come, just a shame about the price of them still. Anyone care to have a guess at how much? LOL

LED Lights
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/Speaker2.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/SpeakerTest.jpg

LED Lowbeam
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/LEDlowbeam.jpg

LED Highbeam
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/LEDhighbeam.jpg

HID Lowbeam
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/HIDlowbeam.jpg

LED Highbeam and D/Lights
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/LEDhighandD-light.jpg

HID High and D/Lights
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc459/big_fletch/HIDhighandD-Light.jpg

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 08:01 PM
Good little comparo boss - so dare I ask? Price??

big_fletch
17th September 2011, 08:04 PM
Ill tell ya what, the LED headlights and D/lights are almost keeping up with my HID's so thats saying something.. They even have massive distance on them..
Shame its about $3000 for a pair of 7" high/low inserts :jawdrop:

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 08:23 PM
Ill tell ya what, the LED headlights and D/lights are almost keeping up with my HID's so thats saying something.. They even have massive distance on them..
Shame its about $3000 for a pair of 7" high/low inserts :jawdrop:

Class me in the category of "officially uninterested" now!!! lmao

patch697
17th September 2011, 08:50 PM
I'll stick with HID's...........

I have not taken out a single person that haven't come back with, Holy snapping duck sh1t as a response to seeing them light up.

I have seen the LED's in action & they are impressive in person but even the guy who demoed them came & checked mine out & pretty much said the same..

100w HID's are simply insane as far as light power is concerned for there price & you would need to show me a switch that could turn on the sun to change my mind.

big_fletch
17th September 2011, 09:05 PM
I'll stick with HID's...........

I have not taken out a single person that haven't come back with, Holy snapping duck sh1t as a response to seeing them light up.

I have seen the LED's in action & they are impressive in person but even the guy who demoed them came & checked mine out & pretty much said the same..

100w HID's are simply insane as far as light power is concerned for there price & you would need to show me a switch that could turn on the sun to change my mind.

I would second that, i have 75w HID's in my lightforce and thats just mental at night, i will be installing a 100w HID kit into a set of IPF lights next week so cant wait to see them at night.. LED's are brilliant as work lights, but for distance HID wins hands down

patch697
17th September 2011, 10:16 PM
I would second that, i have 75w HID's in my lightforce and thats just mental at night, i will be installing a 100w HID kit into a set of IPF lights next week so cant wait to see them at night.. LED's are brilliant as work lights, but for distance HID wins hands down

Im running 5000k in my headlights & 6000k in my drivers (super Oscars) & I really like the blend of the two. The light change from the drivers back to headlights is not as hard on your eyes as with the 4600k's & I don't find the 5000k's glare, but 6000k's are a bit, which I live with.............hahahahahaha

The 6000k's are ultimately brighter in color though which is just brilliant on & off road.

-ET 4wd-
17th September 2011, 11:08 PM
Another vote for HID here!
Im lucky enough to have 35W H4 6000k inserts in my 7 inch crystal lights on the GQ as well as a pair of 5000k 70W converted XGT's ( with the LF kits) as well as a pair of the original 35w HID 240's, when they are all switched on plants start growing in front of me at 200m!
I also have a set of 4600k in my GU, with the stock XGT's on that.
Only thing is that they take a minute or so to heat up from cold which is a bummer when ya need to flash a bloke for leavin his lights high.
But it's something i can get used too!
here is a pic for ya's of me green beast lit up on a back road, at this stage the 2 outsde lights are converted Blitz's ( 35W LF kits) that now live on my wifes Suzuki Sierra,
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h207/et4wd/Lights2rs.jpg

Steve.

big_fletch
17th September 2011, 11:11 PM
Im running 5000k in my headlights & 6000k in my drivers (super Oscars) & I really like the blend of the two. The light change from the drivers back to headlights is not as hard on your eyes as with the 4600k's & I don't find the 5000k's glare, but 6000k's are a bit, which I live with.............hahahahahaha

The 6000k's are ultimately brighter in color though which is just brilliant on & off road.

Something i have noticed which might be just me, i am running the 6000k, my housemate runs the 4300k.. I find on wet roads at night that the 4300 are alot clearer than my 6000k.. Mine seem to reflect off the road more from the water..
Have you noticed the same thing Paul?

Clunk
17th September 2011, 11:13 PM
yep definitely looking more & more like the Close Encounters of the Third Kind!!!!!!! lmao

Clunk
17th September 2011, 11:17 PM
Something i have noticed which might be just me, i am running the 6000k, my housemate runs the 4300k.. I find on wet roads at night that the 4300 are alot clearer than my 6000k.. Mine seem to reflect off the road more from the water..

Is it all to do with the amount of blue light that comes out???? the higher the K number the closer to blue light the output is???

big_fletch
17th September 2011, 11:23 PM
Yer the 6000k are Pure white with a little hint of blue.. At night it still craps on the old halogen globes, but i looove the colour of them lol.. Thats why i have 6 x 6000k Driving lights on the front, just to make sure i can see either side of the road :devilred:

patch697
17th September 2011, 11:56 PM

I don't get it so much from the 5000k's but the 6000k's can be a tad reflective.

I find the 5000k's great compensators here & I don't seam to have an issue in the wet.

Just as a natter of interest, when I was reading up on kelvins I found out that 5000k is the closest to natural light that can be artificially reproduced.

patch697
18th September 2011, 12:01 AM
Yer the 6000k are Pure white with a little hint of blue.. At night it still craps on the old halogen globes, but i looove the colour of them lol.. Thats why i have 6 x 6000k Driving lights on the front, just to make sure i can see either side of the road :devilred:

I second that...... Personally I love 6000k & I've tested all from 4600 to 8000 & 6000 is the ducks guts for me. I do like the 5000 though as there great when on there own or in combination with the 6000

big_fletch
18th September 2011, 12:09 AM
I don't get it so much from the 5000k's but the 6000k's can be a tad reflective.

I find the 5000k's great compensators here & I don't seam to have an issue in the wet.

Just as a natter of interest, when I was reading up on kelvins I found out that 5000k is the closest to natural light that can be artificially reproduced.

I believe you are correct Paul, 5000k as far as i know is the closest natural light colour.. 4300k is still a tad yellow, and 6000k is basically pure white.. I have been selling alot of the 6000k kits recently, fitted 3 kits to the front of a Kenworth Truck the other day, including to his Hella Ralle 4000.. Came back in couple of days later and said was the best thing he had ever done.. Might have to get a 5000k kits to test as i haven't used one before so am interested in how the colour compares

patch697
18th September 2011, 12:23 AM
I believe you are correct Paul, 5000k as far as i know is the closest natural light colour.. 4300k is still a tad yellow, and 6000k is basically pure white.. I have been selling alot of the 6000k kits recently, fitted 3 kits to the front of a Kenworth Truck the other day, including to his Hella Ralle 4000.. Came back in couple of days later and said was the best thing he had ever done.. Might have to get a 5000k kits to test as i haven't used one before so am interested in how the colour compares

Is it 4300 or 4600 or both as I can't remember to tell you the truth?????

As your taken with the 6000k's like me, im tipping you'll like the 5000k & the combo of the too.

I am looking into a halogen globes that could be fitted to a regular flood style driving light for use in fog. Anything you could recommend?

big_fletch
18th September 2011, 12:52 AM
Is it 4300 or 4600 or both as I can't remember to tell you the truth?????

As your taken with the 6000k's like me, im tipping you'll like the 5000k & the combo of the too.

I am looking into a halogen globes that could be fitted to a regular flood style driving light for use in fog. Anything you could recommend?

I know and use the 4300k, however i havent heard of the 4600k?? For fog you would be after a real yellow light, i dont know of a globe that produces a real yellow light (in saying that ive never looked for one).. Second option is a 3000k 35w HID kit, would be close to the right colour, just not sure if the light would be to bright.
Otherwise would have to buy some actual fog lights.. You wanting to fit some on the front of the troll are ya mate?

patch697
18th September 2011, 10:24 AM
I know and use the 4300k, however i havent heard of the 4600k?? For fog you would be after a real yellow light, i dont know of a globe that produces a real yellow light (in saying that ive never looked for one).. Second option is a 3000k 35w HID kit, would be close to the right colour, just not sure if the light would be to bright.
Otherwise would have to buy some actual fog lights.. You wanting to fit some on the front of the troll are ya mate?

Yeah but I was going for some of those little cats eye jobs which I haven't found in fog lights so I was gonna try find a globe tha would do the job.

I did see some time bick (& I can't remember where now) a 55w H3 with a yellow tint on it & it was called a pore weather globe which is what I was trying to chase up but can't seem to find then & I was hoping you may have known about them.

These little things would be no good in a HID. 1, not enough room in the lens (they only just fit a standard). 2, Even in a 35w I reckon they'd be to bright for the job.

big_fletch
18th September 2011, 01:30 PM
I just had a quick search and i found the globes you are talking about on ebay with the yellow covering.. What about something like this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Narva-Contrast-H1-55W-Car-Headlight-Globes-Bulbs-3000K-/120774218801?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1eb45431

patch697
18th September 2011, 03:07 PM
I just had a quick search and i found the globes you are talking about on ebay with the yellow covering.. What about something like this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Narva-Contrast-H1-55W-Car-Headlight-Globes-Bulbs-3000K-/120774218801?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1eb45431

Thanks for the link Fletch...... I'll sit down & do some research tonight.