PDA

View Full Version : steering box aliagnment

dirty_dog
13th September 2011, 10:51 PM
I've just removed the steeringbox and replace the seals, i'm now putting it back on when putting the steering shaft backon do i just find the middle turning point. the input shaft twists about 2 1/2 times do i just find 1 1/4.

TuffTD42
14th September 2011, 09:33 PM
I read that there is a slight harshness (very slight) to the steering box around center. I honestly couldn't feel it. I had mine disconnected. All I did was turn it from lock to lock & halved it. Seemed to work for me as everything lines up & i have same steering amount from center to left & center to right (hope that makes sense). So form your description above I think your on the right track.

dirty_dog
16th September 2011, 12:11 AM
thanx mate i thought i was on the right track

dirty_dog
17th September 2011, 04:10 PM
ok guys i've put everything back together filled it with oil and now the turning circle seems to be bigger. is there anything i could have done whilst reassembling the stear gear that could have done this.

everything seems to be fine there are no funny noises or anything

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 04:12 PM
Can only be bigger one way as such (left or right) - steering box off centre??

dirty_dog
17th September 2011, 05:29 PM
ok cool, cos this is the first time i have done somethinglike this so i'm mega paranoid that i stuffed up the re-assemably. what would be a sign that i have stuffed it.

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 06:38 PM
ok cool, cos this is the first time i have done somethinglike this so i'm mega paranoid that i stuffed up the re-assemably. what would be a sign that i have stuffed it.

Did you set the wheels straight and then drop the pitman arm off the sector shaft, centre the box up by setting at half turn as you've detailed, and then reattach the pitman arm?? Then take the steering wheel off the spline and centre it up as best as possible - if you have an adjustable drag link, you can then use this to centre up the steering wheel ...

Is that basically what you did?? If so, can't see how the turning circle would be affected though ..

dirty_dog
17th September 2011, 08:13 PM
yeah thats how i did it. in fact i did it a few times. but there is definatly somthing wrong cos i can't pull into my driveway in one go without hitting the wall. she's fine on the road, it's not dangerous, but when it comes to parking i'm gonna need to reverse and correct alot.

i was wondering would this be caused by not re-fitting the pitman shaft correctly?

Bigrig
17th September 2011, 08:21 PM
yeah thats how i did it. in fact i did it a few times. but there is definatly somthing wrong cos i can't pull into my driveway in one go without hitting the wall. she's fine on the road, it's not dangerous, but when it comes to parking i'm gonna need to reverse and correct alot.

i was wondering would this be caused by not re-fitting the pitman shaft correctly?

Hmmm ... which way do you turn into your driveway (down left or down right?). What I'm thinking is (let's say) you turn down left into your driveway and had a tighter turning circle that way previously due to being out of centre - now you've corrected, you can't turn as tight that way?? I.e. You should never have been able to turn straight in, but could do so as the box was off centre - with me??

Sounds like you've sorted it though mate ...

dirty_dog
17th September 2011, 09:57 PM
yeah i turn left. maybe i'm just being paranoid.

dirty_dog
19th September 2011, 07:30 PM
what does the steering torque adjuster do.