PDA

View Full Version : Food for thought on an issue I just had

HippoNZ
13th September 2011, 07:15 PM
Hi guys,

Came back from a recent off road trip with a lot of deep river crossings. I crossed one river which i ended up not seeing a deeper channel before the bank. I dipped straight into it and thought oh sh!t so I put the foot down and plowed up the side of the bank. In doing so I got some air and a slight thud. Didn't think too much about it until driving home and I started to hear a flicking t t t t t t t noise coming from my right front wheel. Got home took off the wheel and pulled out the bearings repacked and went for a drive, the noise went away. The noise would only happen for short distances after taking a corner, going over a bump or braking. Before I took off the wheel I jacked it up tried moving the wheel horizontal and vertical and it seemed almost tight as a drum (slight movment only). Hoping I havn't cracked a CV joint does this sound seem possible from a bearing? I just have a niggling bad feeling about this one.

Just after your opinions on this....

Cheers and beers
Brett

Bigrig
13th September 2011, 07:26 PM
Hi guys,

Came back from a recent off road trip with a lot of deep river crossings. I crossed one river which i ended up not seeing a deeper channel before the bank. I dipped straight into it and thought oh sh!t so I put the foot down and plowed up the side of the bank. In doing so I got some air and a slight thud. Didn't think too much about it until driving home and I started to hear a flicking t t t t t t t noise coming from my right front wheel. Got home took off the wheel and pulled out the bearings repacked and went for a drive, the noise went away. The noise would only happen for short distances after taking a corner, going over a bump or braking. Before I took off the wheel I jacked it up tried moving the wheel horizontal and vertical and it seemed almost tight as a drum (slight movment only). Hoping I havn't cracked a CV joint does this sound seem possible from a bearing? I just have a niggling bad feeling about this one.

Cheers and beers
Brett

I hope not also mate, but truth be told, it's what it sounds like (that or a hub) ... fingers firmly crossed for you!!

Sir Roofy
13th September 2011, 07:34 PM
hi guys,

came back from a recent off road trip with a lot of deep river crossings. I crossed one river which i ended up not seeing a deeper channel before the bank. I dipped straight into it and thought oh sh!t so i put the foot down and plowed up the side of the bank. In doing so i got some air and a slight thud. Didn't think too much about it until driving home and i started to hear a flicking t t t t t t t noise coming from my right front wheel. Got home took off the wheel and pulled out the bearings repacked and went for a drive, the noise went away. The noise would only happen for short distances after taking a corner, going over a bump or braking. Before i took off the wheel i jacked it up tried moving the wheel horizontal and vertical and it seemed almost tight as a drum (slight movment only). Hoping i havn't cracked a cv joint does this sound seem possible from a bearing? I just have a niggling bad feeling about this one.

Cheers and beers
brett

hi brett
from your discription sounds like a cracked cvjoint

did you check the bearing housing while out for hairline cracks hope its just bearings

Ben-e-boy
13th September 2011, 08:36 PM
Brett are you driving in 4wd all the time??? a cv wont make noise if the hubs arnt locked in.

a cv usually breaks at full lock. if you wernt steering it could be a hub. and there is a crack when a cv breaks.
go onto the trips and treck section and look at the traveston state forest thread, watch the first vid and listen carefully at 51 seconds, that is the sound of a cv braking

HippoNZ
14th September 2011, 08:38 AM
To answer all your replies......cheers guys......
I couldn't see any cracks or metal filings.
It happens while in 2wd hubs on auto.

Drove it to work today (going to the 4by shop after to work to sort my lift out!) I was pulling out of a street and the front right wheel clunked twice. This happend a while ago on the left hand side. Beside wheel movement I don't know how to tell a good wheel bearing apart from a shagged wheel bearing. How else can I tell the bearings maybe stuffed? Kind of tempted to just buy a new bearing kit and replace it as I don't know when this one was last done.
And Ben I've watched that video and it faintly sounds similiar...... cracked up on the comment on breaking it right the first time hahaha

NissanGQ4.2
14th September 2011, 08:54 AM
Auto hubs could be engaging and disengaging

If you havn't seen Tonys ( YNOT ) thread on auto hubs its worth a read

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=auto+hubs

HippoNZ
14th September 2011, 04:06 PM
Auto hubs could be engaging and disengaging

If you havn't seen Tonys ( YNOT ) thread on auto hubs its worth a read

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=auto+hubs

I think your on to something grasshopper! cheers mate will look at doing the above mod or perhaps some new hubs all together, I find having to use a wheel brace to lock them in a pain but then I love having auto hubs when you have just a short section of mud to cross then back to normal terrain. Would I came across as lazy there lmao

Ben-e-boy
14th September 2011, 04:35 PM
To answer all your replies......cheers guys......
I couldn't see any cracks or metal filings.
It happens while in 2wd hubs on auto.

Drove it to work today (going to the 4by shop after to work to sort my lift out!) I was pulling out of a street and the front right wheel clunked twice. This happend a while ago on the left hand side. Beside wheel movement I don't know how to tell a good wheel bearing apart from a shagged wheel bearing. How else can I tell the bearings maybe stuffed? Kind of tempted to just buy a new bearing kit and replace it as I don't know when this one was last done.
And Ben I've watched that video and it faintly sounds similiar...... cracked up on the comment on breaking it right the first time hahaha

Mate a bearing noise is a bearing noise they arnt intermittant. to check if a bearing is ok or not it should sipn freely if its shagged the bearings thenselves will have flat spot and you will be able to feel this.

IMO i would do some other checks around you suspension components just to make sure everything is ok before spending money... 90% of faults can be found with a visual inspection

on the other hand considering it has happened on both sides and you have auto locking hubs I agreed with todd. but as said do a visual around mounts, bushes etc to rule everything out

NissanGQ4.2
14th September 2011, 06:46 PM
If you do Tony's mod you will still need your wheel brace to lock them in. The only way 2 rid ur wheel brace is 2 go manual hubs.

Hope you sort your problem out

Cheers

Todd