PDA

View Full Version : W/O vacuum reserve tank

ipatrol26
13th September 2011, 10:14 AM
Hello,

I donīt have the vacuum reserve tank so my question is: Can I connect the vacuum hose directly from the brake booster to the alternator vacuum pump without a reserve tank and will it work????

Thank you.

patch697
13th September 2011, 10:48 AM
Yes it will but a reserve tank is a far better way to go if you don't want to run out of power assisted brakes after the second or third application.

ipatrol26
13th September 2011, 12:03 PM
But you mean when the engine is shut off or youīre trying to say that I cant hit the breaks more than 3 times while driving otherwise they wont grab. Please explain.

And thank you by the way.

patch697
13th September 2011, 11:49 PM
The vacuum stored in the brake booster itself is only good for a few shots at the brakes & when your out 4wheeling with the engine revs low this vacuum is not easily replenished so a vacuum retainer tank which stores extra vacuum for the brake power assist system helps in these situations.

ipatrol26
14th September 2011, 08:34 AM
Alright but I am talking about on regular daily driving (from home to work and back), would I be able to use it w/o the tanks on a regular driving or will I need them???, and my other question is what if I canīt find the original ones can I obtain them from any other donor or can I make my own tanks.

Thanks.

patch697
14th September 2011, 09:29 AM
The only thing I can suggest is try it & see how you go, If it seems to be ok & your happy with it then leave the vacuum retainer tank out for now until you can get yourself one.

I have not heard of one being made but thats not to say it can't be. I for one will only buy reputable parts to be fitted to a cars braking system because to me its just not worth the risk otherwise.

As far as a donor is concerned thay were popular in Volvo's although I have always just brought them new for the reasons I mentioned above.

ipatrol26
14th September 2011, 01:50 PM
Ok thank you.