PDA

View Full Version : Forum "Working Bees"

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 12:26 PM
Howdy

doing what we did on the weekend with Ryan's rig got me thinking. We are all in need of some repairs, modifications, additions etc at some stage or another, and with money being the root of all evil, I was thinking it would be a good idea to start some form or regular forum event in each location where we get collective heads together (we have so many people on here with talents - hidden or otherwise) once every say 2 months for a weekend working bee (we are under the rigs far more often than this ourselves, but don't want to make anyone feel obligated in doing it too often). Essentially the idea is to get together at a predetermined location and bring the trucks along. Each time it's organised we plan to do certain things to certain rigs (needs to be pre-planned to ensure we have time, expertise, parts, etc on hand on the day) for each of the members in turn - eventually punching out 20 or 30 (for South East Queensland) rigs that have heaps of mods and toys installed at a bargain basement price. We all benefit!! And even if you don't have mechanical know how to contribute, then if it's your truck being worked on at that event, you supply a couple of cartons or something for the blokes working on the trucks. Again, everyone's happy and no need to not be involved because you think you can't contribute much - we ALL have something to contribute, so don't doubt yourselves!!

The weekend was simply heaps of fun - hard work yes, and not something I'd want to do every weekend, but to concentrate a mass amount of effort on one rig and have it leave the driveway a "reasonably" different vehicle than when it drove in was supremely satisfying. It costs us nothing but time with each respective member paying only for the parts they require, and we get a chance to learn off each other and ultimately, end up with a heap of work done to our trucks that under normal circumstances would take yonks to eventuate (due to cost) or wouldn't happen at all.

The work that could be done is endless - over the last month, Jason and I have worked on Ryan's rig, but also done Jason's gearbox etc, smaller items on mine, with more to come (rack on top with light bar, dual 12 volt outlets in the rear, rear seal on transfer case, lockers into his, rear locker into mine, etc, etc). Tony spent 6 hours of a Sunday with me showing through the suspension installation etc, so it's all happening now anyway, just in a far more spontaneous method. Makes life that much easier when you've got a spare set of hands, some other ideas/input, and/or just moral support!!

What are you thoughts? I'm happy to coordinate, and the way I figure it, depending on who's available and whats to be done, we could organise for say 3 trucks to be lined up for work each time. Every 2 months doing a volume of work to a differing set of rigs, and low and behold, 12 months down the track, everyone has lockers, lifts, lighting, dual battery systems, stereos/GPS's, UHF's, and a potentially huge range of other mechanical problems sorted (gearbox issues, injectors, alternators, radiators, seals, etc, etc) - not to mention the superfluous toys that we all want that could be done relatively cheaply with our collective input (Harris Hardcase gear - more coming in that space, internal lighting, camping lights, gadgets, gizmos, completely unnecessary items that only you want, etc - lol).

Thoughts?? Not sure I've explained overly well, but I'm sure you get my point ... these could coincide with a less "formal" BBQ (rather than the ones we do now) so that the kiddies can still get together and run around, the ladies can relax and have a drink, and we get to be manly men doing manly things!!!!! lmao

AB
12th September 2011, 12:49 PM
Great idea Scotty, wish we had that amount of members and support down my way.

my next door neighbour (Rossco) and I have a similar relationship in helping each other with weekend work...Cars, wood chopping, moving, lifting things, etc....

Many hand make light work!!!

Righto then, next meet up at Ab's to respray the car, put in lokkas, body lift, etc....Let's do it!!!.....GO GO GO..LMAO

NissanGQ4.2
12th September 2011, 12:58 PM
Location - Sydney
Description of work - Gearbox rebuild
When: Now!!!!!!!! hurry up peoples, I'll drink the supplied bourbon while I watch you all work *L*

Great idea Scotty, I'll see you in a few hrs i guess *L*

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 01:37 PM

my next door neighbour (Rossco) and I have a similar relationship in helping each other with weekend work...Cars, wood chopping, moving, lifting things, etc....

Many hand make light work!!!

Righto then, next meet up at Ab's to respray the car, put in lokkas, body lift, etc....Let's do it!!!.....GO GO GO..LMAO

Sounds silly I guess, and I appreciate it would be complex for some to achieve, but even going to the next step where you have one every say 6 months in each state and IF people are able to fly in for the weekend, then you simply put them up and we get cracking on the rigs - I for one would be up for that ...

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 01:40 PM
As per last post mate ... I'd be up for the trip to assist - unfortunately probably not in your timeframe though!!! lmao

That said, I'm in Sydney often enough for work that I could book flights that see me there over a weekend and we could have a lash at it (putting a new one in as opposed to rebuild - that would be painful and I simply don't have the skills there I'm afraid).

Airstrike
12th September 2011, 02:07 PM
Copy great Idea. I will be the water boy (supplier of piss!!) LOL

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 02:59 PM
Copy great Idea. I will be the water boy (supplier of piss!!) LOL

As said, everyone has a talent!!! lol

Sir Roofy
12th September 2011, 03:01 PM

Many hand make light work!!!i

thats a goog place to start AB you have a big empty shed every 2months at ABs and a light barbie
well put together scotty

NissanGQ4.2
12th September 2011, 03:09 PM
As per last post mate ... I'd be up for the trip to assist - unfortunately probably not in your timeframe though!!! lmao

That said, I'm in Sydney often enough for work that I could book flights that see me there over a weekend and we could have a lash at it (putting a new one in as opposed to rebuild - that would be painful and I simply don't have the skills there I'm afraid).

Whats wrong with a little gearbox rebuild, its not painful at all *LMAO*

Just then while up on my roof cleaning my gutters out ( getting ready for the bushfire season 2 start ), I had this top idea that this working bee could include other things that people may also need doing, rather than just rig related.

So next working bee should be

Where: Sydney
When: Sometime soon..... well before the missus goes off at me for not doing it.
Description of work:

1. Paint the eaves / guttering and fascia..
2. Rip up carpet, sand and polish floorboards
3. Re-paint back deck and fix leaks on deck roof
4. Knockdown and rebuild garage
5. Put gutter on back shed ( council are idiots! )
6. Make a chicken pen.
7. Make a possum and rat proof veggie garden.

Think there might be some more.... but will leave some for another working bee

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 03:10 PM
thats a goog place to start AB you have a big empty shed every 2months at ABs and a light barbie
well put together scotty

Outstanding ... glad others think it's a good idea ...

patch697
12th September 2011, 03:10 PM
I would be up for this to help others.

That includes QLD if you boys want to fly me up......Im in

NissanGQ4.2
12th September 2011, 03:14 PM

Great 2 hear Paul, your plane ticket has been booked, will email through departure time shortly.

See you bright and early 2morrow morning :)

patch697
12th September 2011, 03:15 PM
Great 2 hear Paul, your plane ticket has been booked, will email through departure time shortly.

See you bright and early 2morrow morning :)

Ain't you in NSW???................... I thought I said QLD......................hahahahahahahaha

NissanGQ4.2
12th September 2011, 04:13 PM

That includes NSW if you boys want to fly me up......Im in

looks like NSW 2 me Paul not QLD *LMAO

patch697
12th September 2011, 04:20 PM
looks like NSW 2 me Paul not QLD *LMAO

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha........................ .. Love your work

Maxhead
12th September 2011, 05:35 PM
Whats wrong with a little gearbox rebuild, its not painful at all *LMAO*

Just then while up on my roof cleaning my gutters out ( getting ready for the bushfire season 2 start ), I had this top idea that this working bee could include other things that people may also need doing, rather than just rig related.

So next working bee should be

Where: Sydney
When: Sometime soon..... well before the missus goes off at me for not doing it.
Description of work:

1. Paint the eaves / guttering and fascia..
2. Rip up carpet, sand and polish floorboards
3. Re-paint back deck and fix leaks on deck roof
4. Knockdown and rebuild garage
5. Put gutter on back shed ( council are idiots! )
6. Make a chicken pen.
7. Make a possum and rat proof veggie garden.

Think there might be some more.... but will leave some for another working bee

MATE!, This is the kind of stuff you get you're missus to do so you have time to work on the Troll. LOL

macca86
12th September 2011, 05:51 PM
I'm keen to help out every 2 months for a feed and beer sounds great. I can pass tools clean weld and ok on the tools. Know nothing electrical but will help anyway I can then get my stuff done. I can't do any mods till next year then I can go crazy.

Bigrig
12th September 2011, 05:55 PM
I'm keen to help out every 2 months for a feed and beer sounds great. I can pass tools clean weld and ok on the tools. Know nothing electrical but will help anyway I can then get my stuff done. I can't do any mods till next year then I can go crazy.

Good stuff mate - even just to tidy things up etc on the truck - stuff you just never get around to that others can assist and guide on (wiring specifically for one).

Sounding like this is a goer so I might start another thread proposing dates for one in Queensland in the coming weeks/month or so ...

Sir Roofy
12th September 2011, 06:12 PM
Good stuff mate - even just to tidy things up etc on the truck - stuff you just never get around to that others can assist and guide on (wiring specifically for one).

Sounding like this is a goer so I might start another thread proposing dates for one in Queensland in the coming weeks/month or so ...

theres only one problem i can see scott YOUR TO FAR AWAY FOR A W/END WORK SHOP but i like the idea %100 if this gets off the ground it could end up as big as the forum its self,come on A.B PULL THE TROOPS TOGETHER ,cant let bigrig get away again,now you will have to post up a roster as to who is due in and so forth,a central point to work out of,next thing is club rego,s -----lol can be done

NissanGQ4.2
12th September 2011, 06:29 PM
MATE!, This is the kind of stuff you get you're missus to do so you have time to work on the Troll. LOL

where do I find me 1 missus like that *LMAO* just kidding.....( think I just felt a blunt object hit my head! )

MudRunnerTD
12th September 2011, 06:31 PM
AB yell out any time you want to do you body lift mate, i aint that far away and some people say i'm a little handy with "stuff"

;)

macca86
12th September 2011, 07:22 PM
I am very blessed to have a missus that lets me go out and do the boys thing while she looks after the fort at home. If the broncos get to the GF I'm even able to have an unsupervised boys trip to sydney!
I like the idea of club rego!
I'm more interested in helping out so I can learn how to do things on my own rig help and learn contribute we're a great bunch of people up here in brisbane and the greater patrol community

AB
12th September 2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks Dazz, I might have to take you up on that offer one day mate as my Mongrels are getting low and 35"s are looking tasty next!!!

Maybe we can organise a Victorian one after all.

I'm sure Plassy, Paul, fletch and his crew, Timbo, Roofy, Rossco and others will come down too.

Might be able to get Kat and Bel down to make a weekend of it!!!

now that I think about it, we have more regular mexicans then I thought...

wildgu6
12th September 2011, 08:38 PM
( think I just felt a blunt object hit my head! )

You crack me up Todd.

Sir Roofy
12th September 2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks Dazz, I might have to take you up on that offer one day mate as my Mongrels are getting low and 35"s are looking tasty next!!!

I'm sure Plassy, Paul, fletch and his crew, Timbo, Roofy, Rossco and others will come down too.

ill come along mate im sure kat and bel would be interested as for the others be great to catch up as well
youll have to check with the girls they have a couple of trips in the wind

MudRunnerTD
13th September 2011, 12:25 AM

No probs AB, sounds like you have a monster shed too so we might be able to line a couple up and get a bit done. I'll bring a swag and a truck full of tools and lets get into it.

belzi82
13th September 2011, 12:27 AM

I'll be in it, Would love to get my hands dirty and learn as much as I can!!!

Silver
13th September 2011, 01:59 AM

That includes QLD if you boys want to fly me up......Im in

the way air fares are now, I'd be prepared to put in a lobster or two, presumably along with a few others just to fund a beer and a chat at Scotty and Sandra's place with you Patch :-)

Silver
13th September 2011, 02:03 AM

get your 2rse and Bluey up here in October and we'll body lift Bluey and maintain Silver as a low rider with new bushes :-)

Silver
13th September 2011, 02:05 AM

when the light is good, polish out those custom bush pinstripes on various vehicles, and in the case of Silver, polish out the Nipper's hand prints in the duco - go figure........

AB
13th September 2011, 10:32 AM
No probs AB, sounds like you have a monster shed too so we might be able to line a couple up and get a bit done. I'll bring a swag and a truck full of tools and lets get into it.

It's only a 9x6 shed unfortunately but I have a triple car port which is so handy!!!

Plenty of flat areas though around the house so if we pick a good weekend mate we can line them up everywhere.

I have a huge bungalow so we can bring everyone down and make a weekend of it for sure!!!

katwoman
13th September 2011, 03:41 PM
ill come along mate im sure kat and bel would be interested as for the others be great to catch up as well
youll have to check with the girls they have a couple of trips in the wind

If you all need somewhere to start, I got given a shiny winch yesterday !

AB
13th September 2011, 04:07 PM

Easy peezy Kat!!

growler2058
13th September 2011, 04:16 PM

Strewth your quick!!! What happened did ya skip the voddies an head straight to ur 4B shop

katwoman
13th September 2011, 04:32 PM
Strewth your quick!!! What happened did ya skip the voddies an head straight to ur 4B shop

Haha. Not quite. Most WAGs get flowers and choccies. I got a winch !!

Bigrig
13th September 2011, 04:43 PM

That's the perfect thing to do!!! Just another example of when we all pitch in and help each other and the costs are kept to a minimum - most places would sting you literally hundreds of dollars for that install ... good stuff people - I'll get a new thread started for the QLD one as said and start looking at say the first three rigs to be rolled onto the production line!!

Glad everyone is on board with the idea - really impressive to see!!

snicko
13th September 2011, 04:57 PM
So when to you come to SA??

Bigrig
13th September 2011, 06:30 PM
So when to you come to SA??

Me?? You don't want me working on your truck - it'll never be right again!!! lol

Maxhead
13th September 2011, 07:06 PM
Hey Scotty, I have to say BRILLIANT IDEA MATE!.
I might have to tag along to one of these on day. I can't help mechanically but I can help to put a few away.. :cheers:...LOLOLOL..might even learn somrthing

Bagheera
13th September 2011, 07:15 PM
If you do one in Sydney, count me in.

I have an arc welder (not that I can use it well, if at all), can help with wiring, and can otherwise lift heavy objects.

Bigrig
13th September 2011, 07:22 PM
Hey Scotty, I have to say BRILLIANT IDEA MATE!.
I might have to tag along to one of these on day. I can't help mechanically but I can help to put a few away.. :cheers:...LOLOLOL..might even learn somrthing

Haha - best of both worlds mate!!!! Lmao

Bigrig
13th September 2011, 07:24 PM
If you do one in Sydney, count me in.

I have an arc welder (not that I can use it well, if at all), can help with wiring, and can otherwise lift heavy objects.

I can lift heavy objects if you add the weight together at the end of the day - about 400 grams a go; 30 goes a day ... 12kgs!!!! About the weight of a 30 pack carton coincidentally!! lmao

Finly Owner
13th September 2011, 10:45 PM
Well I have tools, air compressor and air tools, welder, engine crane, car and truck stands and trailer to haul it all. And I know how to use them. So now I just need to be available for working bee dates.

Tim

Bigrig
13th September 2011, 10:56 PM
Well I have tools, air compressor and air tools, welder, engine crane, car and truck stands and trailer to haul it all. And I know how to use them. So now I just need to be available for working bee dates.

Tim
There's a thread up with the proposed dates ... check it out and let us know.

Finly Owner
13th September 2011, 11:20 PM
There's a thread up with the proposed dates ... check it out and let us know.At the mo dates are no good, but that may change

Tim